The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lexicon 300, how is compared to the modern alternitives? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

lexicon 300, how is compared to the modern alternitives?

i cant find a loy of info on it or decent sound examples. so i was just wondering, does it still have something significant to bring to the table? a signature sound? how high quality is it? compared to the better plugs how does it hold up?

i know sound is subject, but whatever. i dont want to spend the money if modern alternatives have it beat at the same price or less,
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

The L300 is still a fine piece of equipment. Not far from the 480L at all, quite typical Lexicon sound. BUT you can get there with the Lexicon PCM plug-ins or other alternatives (Relab and Exponential Audio) even better, if you don't need or want a piece of hardware.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

I love it. I am not sure I would call it as natural as some you can get now but it is lush and not at all boring.
My only issue is that I hope it keeps working! The coward in me sometimes thinks I should sell in case it dies, but that would mean losing what it does.
Great unit
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Side by side with my Bricasti, PCM 96, Lex bundle and TC 4000, still preferred weapon of choice quite often.
Never ever thought to sell it. White remote still has huge impact on studio attendants, as well.
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Guru

They sound great -- very 480-like, as others have said. A little tough to get around on if you don't have the LARC version, but well worth the trouble.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

I love my 300! Had it side by side with one machine of the 480--couldn't tell them apart in a mix. Recently, my LARC started blowing fuses. I decided to try the Lexicon plugins. While they have the Lexicon sound, they weren't close to the 300 at all. If they were, I would've kept them and sold the 300. I am getting my LARC fixed...
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by universe25 View Post
i cant find a loy of info on it or decent sound examples. so i was just wondering, does it still have something significant to bring to the table? a signature sound? how high quality is it? compared to the better plugs how does it hold up?

i know sound is subject, but whatever. i dont want to spend the money if modern alternatives have it beat at the same price or less,
HUH........?

I think I spent most of 6 Months in 2010/11 Posting about the Lexicon M/L300.
I would seriously go back a do a Long Search, then you'll find the Threads!

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
The L300 is still a fine piece of equipment. Not far from the 480L at all, quite typical Lexicon sound. BUT you can get there with the Lexicon PCM plug-ins or other alternatives (Relab and Exponential Audio) even better, if you don't need or want a piece of hardware.
No you Can't, not with a PCM Bundle or Re-Lab 480L Software and Exponential is different in that it has a more modern and Surround sound. The M/L300 units have unique Algo's and Routing, a Version 480L 4.1 w/ Classic Cart would be close, though of all the Plug In's mentioned all are quite different Reverb Plug In's, the M/L300 is in a league of it's own, Relab has none of the M/L300 Algorithms, Just early 480L v. 3.0 Algo's and I doubt ever will ever have Random Hall, or Rich Plate or Ambience Coded from the M300/480L.

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, Plugins won't do this sound. Especially not Lexicon's own plugins. And plugins generally sound somewhat hazy and less 3D/defined.

But I also think the 300 sounds quite a bit different than the 480l. The latter has a silky-dense-polished quality to it, which the 300 despite having more processing power (per stereo engine) doesn't quite match. The 300 has its own magic, an unrealistic but very appealing larger-than-life quality.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

Just for an alternate view-

I got the PCM plugs and sold my 300 and PCM70s. Was it exactly the same no, as good- YES.

If you can't make the plugs sound GREAT, its operator error...
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Please.....Don't get me wrong, the Lex PCM Plug In's and Relab, plus Valhalla are seriously great for ITB material, throw in some soundToys and you can really get stuff moving along. Though the Lex 300 Reverb has a certain something, a modernity while still being stuck in time, the last great lexicon made, the 960/L was trouble as was the PCM96 which had more processing power then the 960/L (Would that not seriously piss you off if you'd paid 20K$ for a fully optioned 960/L?). It's all relevant though the Rich Plate in the M/L300 and the Random Hall alongside the Ambience are just Algo's that work, give depth, space and you can physically Pan and move Mic positions on the console/DAW as far back or forward as you desire. I know of no other type Algo's even in the PCM package that matches those 480/300 Algo's. Somehow, they just work!
More so they are 20 Bit and sound pretty decent considering Todays Convertor range. No one was skimping on cost back then in Massachusetts!
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post
Just for an alternate view-

I got the PCM plugs and sold my 300 and PCM70s. Was it exactly the same no, as good- YES.

If you can't make the plugs sound GREAT, its operator error...
If all that you have ever worked with are plugs then you tend to wonder why some moron like me would for out dollars for everything hardware, for all that is tactile.

If you've only known Peluso, you love them. If you've worked with real 47's, 251's,and 67's then you appreciate that at a low price point some decent mics are available for the enthusiast.

I find it ironic to see tape echos going for 1200$ when back in '85,you could get them used for 100$.

Yes you can get a lot done with plugs but there is a big difference between altiverb and a Briscati.

I'll keep my Briscati.
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
If all that you have ever worked with are plugs then you tend to wonder why some moron like me would for out dollars for everything hardware, for all that is tactile.

If you've only known Peluso, you love them. If you've worked with real 47's, 251's,and 67's then you appreciate that at a low price point some decent mics are available for the enthusiast.

I find it ironic to see tape echos going for 1200$ when back in '85,you could get them used for 100$.

Yes you can get a lot done with plugs but there is a big difference between altiverb and a Briscati.

I'll keep my Briscati.
Very True! The second I mentioned the PCM-60's Plate and Room came from the 224/XL was the day they went from $44.00 bucks to $440.00 and more. That's why I will never talk of Outboard and the Precious gear save by PM on the GS network.....Too many ebay trawlers looking to price things from ex-Burbank Lots and boom! Up go the Prices for all!
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Worth it just for the Contem-plate program.

-R
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Worth it just for the Contem-plate program.

-R
I would seriously Suggest the M/L300 is worth the Money just for the
Random Hall
Random Ambience
Rich Plate
Pitch Shift
Pons Dither

The Programs that allow M/S Processing ITB or out and many others. Considering that these units were made from 1992-2002 it would be only 2nd I would think to the 480L from 1986-2002 in terms of longevity and on reliability it's in a class of it's own due to a single Analog board and Digital Board of something goes awry with this unit you are not up for the 480L costs! The conversion at 48kHz/20 Bit is actually very good considering it's age of 1992!

Here is the Brochure!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1404957391

Regards
TheLastByte
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 300L_Brochure.pdf (405.2 KB, 436 views)
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

I sometimes wonder if people start these topics on GS because they have a piece of gear to sell and they want to drive the price of it up!
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I sometimes wonder if people start these topics on GS because they have a piece of gear to sell and they want to drive the price of it up!
Look what happened when the PCM42 Trick got out! Those units now are selling for $1000,00 plus and considering their 1984 price of $899.00 and $299.00 for 2 second MEO Board, your looking at essentially a in the year 2014 price....I would guesstimate around $6,800 for a PCM 42 in 1984 Terms? Looking at 1300/S units going for around $1000 as well......that's just crazy, as their 200 millisecond sync delay broadcast units, like an AMS Smpte frame delay with and either /or 1 or 10 second drop option and certainly no regeneration facilities.

It's ebay gone crazy! Check if you like, though I've got zero to sell! I see where your coming from though, the Op said he could find no Lexicon M/L300 info - my god, I've written a combined post(s) in Threads that would make a Thesis on the M/L300 on GS! Me thinks a great deal of this is dick measuring with Plug In's V Hardware.....that always seems to be the angle, "Ohhh...though If I used Lexicon PCM and Relab would I not Get XXXX Algo?".....It happens just the same like in those master Buss Compressor threads, save the cry their is, "but my set up is different from the 20,000 other Master buss Threads"?
Lol.......!

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 26th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I never had it, I think I saw it a pawnshop,

If I recall correctly,

I musta made this account when my regular one was suspended or banned, can't recall
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search