The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roger Mayer 456 tape sim VS Portico 5042 and others Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

By the time you find a review on this product there will already be an alternative at half the price.

Cheers
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
By the time you find a review on this product there will already be an alternative at half the price.

Cheers
This is like the hardware version of a Steven Slate plug in announcement.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Heading back to the Strymon thread....see you there Frankie

Cheers
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

bump.
Old 14th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
This is like the hardware version of a Steven Slate plug in announcement.
Minus the fanatics.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio View Post
Greg Hanks has been working on his take, the Wavefront Modulation Device (WMD-1), which I expect will rule.
Tell me more!
Old 12th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried this?
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Need a real report on this box. Who put it through its paces??
Old 12th November 2014
Gear Nut

did you check the Sound on Sound review of both mono and stereo units ?
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, I did read that. In fact, the SOS article was very complimentary and that stoked my curiosity for an "on the ground" report.

They are for sale for $1300 from the distributor and for around $1700 on Amazon.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Yes, I did read that. In fact, the SOS article was very complimentary and that stoked my curiosity for an "on the ground" report.

They are for sale for $1300 from the distributor and for around $1700 on Amazon.
Plush did you ever get a chance to play with it?

or get any more concrete info?

thanks
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Bump to an old thread.

Anyone using these?

Thanks.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Bump to an old thread.

Anyone using these?

Thanks.
Lol the two year bump!

I hear you - it's frustrating on a certain level to see an item that might add something special to a setup but there's almost no desire from the manufacturer to sell any.

I know Roger Mayer has a certain reputation, but regardless the 456 is almost $2000 for a stereo model and that's a lot of cash to drop on an item that you're not really sure what it will add to your tracking or mix sound.

Another who comes to mind is Quintosardo from SKNote. When he came out with his 500 series module, the AVE for vocals, we all begged in the announcement thread for videos and multiple sound demos. He released a half ass video barely showing what it can do with the promise of making a real video. He never did. And a lot of us, me included, took our $1000 that we had been waving in front of him, we took it and spent it elsewhere. But in reality, I really would have wanted to spend it on his module.

Same here - it's just frustrating to want to spend money and the manufacturer really doesn't want it.

I always cite Elysia as a company who gets it. You go to their website and not only do you get full res photos of everything, including the inside, and downloads of the manual, but you get links to youtube videos demonstrating the gear, you get tons of audio files on multitudes of sources electronic and acoustic. You look up something on their website, and in minutes you know everything there is to know about that piece of gear.

You know what makes me happy? That when I decide to buy something, I can learn so much of about it from the manufacturer's website that in the 3 or 4 days it takes to arrive to my studio, I already know how to use every feature without cracking open a manual and I already have a strong idea of how it's going to affect various sources and what I should try it on first so I can hit the ground running. That's how much I want to know about the stuff I buy!

Sorry for the rant...lol...this bump just reminded me all over again how frustrating it is to see some gear that's different and so you're interested, but cautious, and you just want to see demos and videos and the manufacturer can't be bothered.

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or demos, I'd love to hear it. I don't have the cash anymore for one, but I'm always willing to save.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol the two year bump!

I hear you - it's frustrating on a certain level to see an item that might add something special to a setup but there's almost no desire from the manufacturer to sell any.

I know Roger Mayer has a certain reputation, but regardless the 456 is almost $2000 for a stereo model and that's a lot of cash to drop on an item that you're not really sure what it will add to your tracking or mix sound.

Another who comes to mind is Quintosardo from SKNote. When he came out with his 500 series module, the AVE for vocals, we all begged in the announcement thread for videos and multiple sound demos. He released a half ass video barely showing what it can do with the promise of making a real video. He never did. And a lot of us, me included, took our $1000 that we had been waving in front of him, we took it and spent it elsewhere. But in reality, I really would have wanted to spend it on his module.

Same here - it's just frustrating to want to spend money and the manufacturer really doesn't want it.

I always cite Elysia as a company who gets it. You go to their website and not only do you get full res photos of everything, including the inside, and downloads of the manual, but you get links to youtube videos demonstrating the gear, you get tons of audio files on multitudes of sources electronic and acoustic. You look up something on their website, and in minutes you know everything there is to know about that piece of gear.

You know what makes me happy? That when I decide to buy something, I can learn so much of about it from the manufacturer's website that in the 3 or 4 days it takes to arrive to my studio, I already know how to use every feature without cracking open a manual and I already have a strong idea of how it's going to affect various sources and what I should try it on first so I can hit the ground running. That's how much I want to know about the stuff I buy!

Sorry for the rant...lol...this bump just reminded me all over again how frustrating it is to see some gear that's different and so you're interested, but cautious, and you just want to see demos and videos and the manufacturer can't be bothered.

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or demos, I'd love to hear it. I don't have the cash anymore for one, but I'm always willing to save.
I agree with your thoughts above!
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

I don't give a monkeys how much it costs

ROGER MAYER was in this thread!

Roger, Mr Mayer, thank you, for everything
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_deli View Post
I don't give a monkeys how much it costs

ROGER MAYER was in this thread!

Roger, Mr Mayer, thank you, for everything
Ditto! Looking forward to getting mine and experimenting
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head

I’m pretty interested in this. Anyone who owns one please give us a review. I listened to The Who song that was recorded using these and liked what I heard. I also saw a YouTube video of a Kemper guitar running through the pedal version. I was pretty impressed by that too. I’d love to hear it ab’d on snare and overheads.
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyplex View Post
I’m pretty interested in this. Anyone who owns one please give us a review. I listened to The Who song that was recorded using these and liked what I heard. I also saw a YouTube video of a Kemper guitar running through the pedal version. I was pretty impressed by that too. I’d love to hear it ab’d on snare and overheads.
Can you share a link to the Who song? Can't find it. Thanks
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Head

The Who song is called “ be lucky “. It is on YouTube.
Old 20th July 2018
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Still no feedback on the unit?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search