The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM12 owners Studio Monitors
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Barefoot MM12 owners

Hi all, wondering out you lucky few who now have these in your studio who can give me
some detailed opinions on them, what monitors you have come from and what made you choose the MM12 over other options.
I'm very close to pulling the trigger but can't easily get a demo let alone hear them
In my own room so any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Guru

They have more power than a Skrillex show in your bathroom.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
They have more power than a Skrillex show in your bathroom.
Have you tried the new ones?
Old 22nd May 2014
Got mine!

Just picked up my MM12's directly from the Barefoot factory yesterday! I've heard them before at the factory but will start my first studio projects with them next week! I'm a long-time happy owner of the MM27's and excited to bump up to the next level.
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for chiming in Greg, congrats!!!
Look forward to hearing you're thoughts once you've had some time working with them.
Old 13th August 2014
Here for the gear

I've been using/working with my MM12's about a month now! I've had them side by side with my MM27 Gen 1's and AB'd them many times. It is clear that the MM27's have a bump in the midrange in comparison and based on a lot of reference material I believe the 12's are simply representing all frequencies more accurately. The MM12's have deeper, and more accurate bass response, have a much larger sweetspot (do not change with every little movement in position like the 27's do), and just have a 3D lifelike realness I have never heard from any other speaker. I am completely in love with the 12's and am now just trying to decide whether to put the 27's in the back of the room for the ultimate surround sound setup, or to sell them because I couldn't really afford the MM12's in the first place. I have always loved my 27's, but the MM12's are at a different level....as they should be considering they cost over twice as much.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump in the mids? Even when set to flat? Time to re-measure your room
Old 14th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Bump in the mids? Even when set to flat? Time to re-measure your room
Same room for both speakers, which is carefully built from the ground up only to be a mastering/listening room. I've heard the mids bump in every room I've used the MM27's in. So have most people I know that own them. The 27's arejust a touch harsh in the mids. The "forgiving" setting on the back was created because many people brought up that they were a little bit harsh and fatiguing and that setting softens the mids and boosts the bass and highs a bit, although I always have used them "flat".

The 27 specs show they are very flat +/- 1.5dB. I'm telling you that 1.5dB of variance listed in the specs is a bump (or bumps) in the mids, which is partly why they translate so well. NS10's, for example, are an extreme version of this. In contrast, many speakers have soft mids where they crossover, so a speaker with flat mids still sounds a bit harsher than most speakers that have a mid crossover. I am confident, both from the MM12 specs, and from listening to tons of source material through both, that the MM12's are clearly flatter and truer to the source. That said, aside from the MM12's, the MM27's are still more trustworthy to me than anything else I've worked with.

I compared the MM12's, the Gen 1's, and the Gen 2's for hours with Thomas and the crew at the Barefoot factory before I ordered my 12's. I heard the same thing in their listening room: Both versions of the 27's are awesome. The 12's are just superior, both in spec and in use. It's not subtle either. As others have said, if you are happy with your 27's (as you should be) and don't need a new 20K expense in your life, don't listen to the 12's. I couldn't stop thinking about them from the time I first heard them at the factory until I was able to get my own.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search