The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic pre fatter/darker then neve, api. Single-Channel Preamps
Old 21st March 2014

Mic pre fatter/darker then neve, api.

So been using mostly neves on vocals for ions. Sometimes api or Pacifica. What's a pre that's a little weightier, maybe a touch darker? Maybe a tube pre?
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I dunno about fatter, but the Electrodyne 501 is my go to for darker and grittier. It's certainly worth checking out.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Nut

well i've had an avalon ad2022 as my one and only preamp for a while now because i love it so much. then recently i started to think i should try some new flavor so i went ahead and got a bae 1073 to see what all the hype was about, having never used a 1073 before.

having done a direct side by side comparison i have now learned a very valuable lesson: NEVER believe any opinions on the internet about audio gear. try before you buy. always. whenever possible.

gearslutz would have you believe that the bae 1073 KILLS the avalon ad2022. and for some it may. but imho, the 1073 sounded like pure crap next to my ad2022. like i said i spent a couple hours going back and forth between the two and i coudn't believe how much i liked the avalon better. the bae reminded me of my digi 003, which i did not like. i'm trying out everything before i buy from now on.

so to answer your question i would obviously recommend the ad2022 for your vocals or really anything else you want to use it for. it is 1000 times fatter, darker, richer, all that good stuff.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Mercury V- series

Or the Mercury 66 comp.

Manley stuff also sounds a little darker.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

Whenever i think i need a fat sound i grab my Burl B1D and reach instant happiness :-)
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Less expensive but definitely has that thing going on:
True Systems. Nice sounding pre with a round tone.
Old 21st March 2014
Focusrite ISA 110's are pretty dark, and an Avalon AD2022 is absolutely not.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I agree with Musiclab about the Avalon/1073.

I also agree that the ISA mic pres are fantastic! I have a Focusrite ISA430 that is really versatile and can get pretty heavy. The variable input impedance really helps make grabbing different tones from the mic a lot of fun.
Old 21st March 2014
And the only Neve that comes to mind is the 1073? What about the 1272 variations?

A 33420/1272 is much darker and meatier.
Old 21st March 2014
Juggernaut Twin, nickel input, FAT inductor engaged is exactly what you describe.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
And the only Neve that comes to mind is the 1073? What about the 1272 variations?

Hasen't James had 1272's before?
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
Hasen't James had 1272's before?
Perhaps he can speak to this, himself. But in any event, the Atlantis Sound 33420/1272 sounds like exactly what he is looking for. I have one and it is a BEAUTIFUL thing.
Old 21st March 2014
If you can track down/afford a Neve 1055, you won't find much darker/thicker/gooeyer than that
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

What about a germanium pre? I've got some ma1s which are a class a no opamp, transformer in/out, germanium - and they have this incredible, compressed dark sound that's exactly what you describe. They cost me about $600 for the pair. 500 series though
Old 21st March 2014
Yep. Thick, dark, gooey = germanium in my world. The chandler is a great place to start. All the vibe without ancient electronics to maintain.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Germaniums: 105x neves and the chandler clones. Siemens/wsw germaniums, theres lots of options
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Juggernaut Twin, nickel input, FAT inductor engaged is exactly what you describe.
I agree with this.. the juggernaut could get very colored and fat if desired..(I have one in the classifieds btw..), not because I didn't like but because I need other stuff that is freaking expensive right now..

Another contender IME is the spectrasonics 101 preamps.. very FAT.. dunno if darker could be also accounted as a description.. great pres btw..

Cheu
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

RCA
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
Maybe a tube pre?
Yup.

Someone mentioned the Mercury. Nice.

But there are so many other flavors too.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
So been using mostly neves on vocals for ions. Sometimes api or Pacifica. What's a pre that's a little weightier, maybe a touch darker? Maybe a tube pre?
James, I've been through countless pres and I can't answer that question because it depends on the source. For example on vocals, one pre that accentuates the frequencies over 10K could be perceived darker than one that lifts around 6K but rolls off after 11... Now if you were using those 2 pres on drum overheads, the opposite would appear true.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

APP Studio Ing's products

That's the link to the ma1 kits if anyone's interested. The designer also makes some the best Opamps made today. His own creation the app992 which is not a 2520 or a 990 clone are being stuffed into ME"s boards everywhere. Lovely guy - deserves the attention
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

demeter vtmp 2b

nice and smooooooth
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post

A 1073 and a 1272 below 55 ish dB are made of the identical amplifiers and transformers. With the EQ disengaged on a 1073, if both are wired *correctly*, the circuits are the same, sound the same, etc.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

I shot-out a wunder with an original 1073, and the wunder was definitely thicker. The difference, as I recall, wasn't subtle.
Old 22nd March 2014

hi Matt, what did you use on the Copeland stuff?
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

I bought an UA m610 10 years ago.....I still own it for a reason.
Old 22nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwTAC View Post
A 1073 and a 1272 below 55 ish dB are made of the identical amplifiers and transformers. With the EQ disengaged on a 1073, if both are wired *correctly*, the circuits are the same, sound the same, etc.
I take it you're not as familiar with the 33420? I put the slash-1272 there because it is related. But it is not a 1073 and sounds very different to it.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

The 3000 series has little in common with the class a 1272/106x/107x series
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmusic View Post
Whenever i think i need a fat sound i grab my Burl B1D and reach instant happiness :-)
+1 for this...I also like the Mercury recommendations. Those things are definitely some prized pieces...
Old 22nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
The 3000 series has little in common with the class a 1272/106x/107x series
3000 series is more along the lines of a 1084, right? I've got a pair of 1084s in my studio, and a joint I work at pretty regularly has a console decked out with 31102s, and they seem pretty comparable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search