The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic pre fatter/darker then neve, api. Single-Channel Preamps
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Wow, id love to hear an old one then! I picked mine up(black face)thinking id get something slower and gooeyer, but to my surprise, it wasnt. I didnt get as much color or thickness as what a variety of different reviews stated, so I was kinda bummed. I do like it a lot tho. Wish i had about 4 more channels actually. I use it mostly on bass, guitars and snare. They are fantastic on drums. Tried it multiple ways on 2buss as well, but didnt care for it there. Also not my favorite on vocals, although i have had success tracking female vocals with it. Id love to hear one of the early ones now. Are you talking about the purple face ones? I picked mine up around 2009ish.
People just hear and experience things differently. I had every revision in here, they sounded the same from early until discontinued. If I recall correctly some had a mod that made them brighter, but if you bought it new you would have had to request it ahead of time. But yes they were round and big in the lows, but ironically sounded amazing on acoustic guitar (as an example of something delicate sounding that needs good transients) at the same time.
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Preamps!

All my preamps are old originals

Neve
Api
Calrec
Telefunken
Mci

I would say the thickest, fattest, & darkest are either the Telefunken or Mci preamps. The Mci are in a console the rest are outboard/racked and were once in a console.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic pre fatter/darker then neve, api.-img_7475.jpg  
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

this thread started before Coil Audio existed, but you should check out the CA-70 Also has a line input for putting on line level sources.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search