The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to use Pultec MEQ & PEQ together Equalisers (HW)
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

How to use Pultec MEQ & PEQ together

Some experience to share?
Do you plug in MEQ first then PEQ in 2nd position or vice versa...?
Old 21st March 2014
I'm not sure what a PEQ is. But I have experience with an EQP1a3 and a MEQ5.

It generally depends with me. If it's a mid-range sound I'm dealing with then I'll patch in the MEQ5 and I might not ever patch in the EQP1a. If it's a complex sound I'm dealing with then I'll patch both and really the order isn't on my mind. I'll reach for whatever jumps out at me first. In my opinion those two equalizers don't have to step on each other much, so I feel comfortable going with either first. Better said, I reach for the one that tames the sound range that grabs my attention first.
Old 21st March 2014
For me it's usually MEQ-5>EQP1a or EQP10s, or a fave PEQ-1- this works great on gtr, bass, and horns.
Here's a tip- try the MEQ-5 before compression and the EQP after it... or vice versa!

EQP>Compression>MEQ let's you change the LF drive to the compressor [think pumping] and the MEQ can bring out the mid range presence.

When it's MEQ> Compression>EQP the compressor can grab any peaks the MEQ creates and the the EQP can add some air or girth back in.

Btw a 1073 with Maranairs into a EQP-a or PEQ1 is a great combo as well...

Have fun!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I almost never find myself needing both of them on the same source. If I do the order doesn't particularly matter, unless I was trying to drive the midrange in to the front end of the EQP or vice versa, in which case it would be a taste call anyway.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Guru

If you have to ask ...
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint gillis View Post
Some experience to share?
Do you plug in MEQ first then PEQ in 2nd position or vice versa...?
I've tried every possible combination at length, as I'm (disclaimer) developing a commercial prototype for a box with an EQP1A and MEQ5 set of filters on each channel. In short, it really depends on what you end up doing with them, but anything with a high frequency boost should come first, so you don't pull up noise from any previous unit in the chain.

If you wanna have fun, try using an M/S encoder on a stereo source and put the M through the EQP1A and the S through the MEQ5, then decode back to stereo. Just don't tell anyone else
Old 7th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Harry, thank you for the advice, in fact I had the same goal as yours, I wanted to put these two units in the same box :
Pultec combo - MEQ5 + EQP1A

Now that it works fine, I just have to build a 2nd unit to try your trick!!
Old 7th October 2014
I have mine come up separately on the patch bay. Can't remember any occasion I've wanted to patch both together.
Old 7th October 2014
Here for the gear

Why?
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:
Why?
Why are they on my patchbay separately? Flexibility.

Why can't I remember? I must be getting old.

Why haven't I used both on the same source? Most stuff goes through my console (filled with API 550b, Avedis e27 and Harrison eq32). I only use an outboard eq where my console doesn't give me what I want. If I haven't got it right by the time I've gone through two EQs I might as well go home.
Old 7th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why are they on my patchbay separately? Flexibility.
Seems obvious!

Quote:
Why can't I remember? I must be getting old.
hahaha, great!

Quote:
Why can't I remember? [COLOR="red"]
Why haven't I used both on the same source? Most stuff goes through my console (filled with API 550b, Avedis e27 and Harrison eq32). I only use an outboard eq where my console doesn't give me what I want. If I haven't got it right by the time I've gone through two EQs I might as well go home.
Having a console filled with so great Eqs looks like paradise...
There is something particular in Eqs using inductors, a kind of feeling that the sound remains always very natural, some sweetness, maybe because the LC circuits generate very little phase shift.. We have also some eqs from an old schlumberger console (unfortunately the choice of frequencies is a bit limited on them) also using inductors and the feeling is the same... never tried Neve Eqs (1084, etc.) but I guess it is the same feeling (I might be wrong); anyway since I ve built the unit it is always in the position where the 2 Eqs are in the path, but as I said we often make mistake with new gear...
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:
Hey Harry, thank you for the advice, in fact I had the same goal as yours, I wanted to put these two units in the same box :
Pultec combo - MEQ5 + EQP1A

Now that it works fine, I just have to build a 2nd unit to try your trick!!
My son Robin decided to design and build a pultecalichios clone of them in the same box with a few other useful bits that could just come in very handy.:-)
It's called the Browning Audio Polymath.
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:

Having a console filled with so great Eqs looks like paradise... (Snip)
Oops. Almost forgot about my my AML sidecar and its eight 1073s...
Old 7th October 2014
Here for the gear

1073, ok there are no tubes, but do you feel a kind of analogy with the Pultecs when switching frequencies?
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:
1073, ok there are no tubes, but do you feel a kind of analogy with the Pultecs when switching frequencies?
Very different vibe
Old 7th October 2014
Motown legend

Different analog line stages sound different with different loads so I'd say it depends entirely on the other gear they are being used with.
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

You mean that different combinations will produce each time a complete different flavour? Or you mean that pluging a unit in a 600ohm load will produce a result completely different than in a 10K load for instance?
Old 8th October 2014
Motown legend

Different combinations or orders will create different flavors.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search