The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Cactus
Old 2nd September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Just wanted to chime in for a sec on the cactus' dark quality:

This was due to the way the capsule was being tuned. Skipper and Martins seemed to have a difference of opinion on this, and Martins preferred it dark. Eventually, because of customer feedback, they started tuning the capsules differently,and they are not as dark anymore.

I know this is an ol thread but I found this post and the info about the b7 having 2 versions. I called blue today to verify this and they said that there was only one version of the b7 and no revisions. Too bad because I always thought it was too dark too. Takes eq well tho.
Old 20th September 2010
Just bought a brand new b7 for my bottle. Though Blue says they didn't change the cap, I really don't remember it sounding this good. Not nearly as dark as I remembered, with a remarkably smooth midrange. Hmm..
Old 21st September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
Just bought a brand new b7 for my bottle. Though Blue says they didn't change the cap, I really don't remember it sounding this good. Not nearly as dark as I remembered, with a remarkably smooth midrange. Hmm..
Old 21st September 2010
Blue Cactus

Kant f'n hear kapsule heads?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Head

Blue Cactus

When you first heard the B7 capsule was it with a Bottle or was it in Cactus? The Cactus has always had a darker sound than a B7 Lollipop on a Bottle. Although the newer cactus (gold front grill) has been tweaked to be brighter than the old ( silver grill). There would be a very noticeable difference between an old cactus and a b7 bottle cap.
Old 24th September 2010
Blue Cactus

Both were bottle. First cap was about 5-6 years old the other was new.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 27th October 2010
any opinions / info on what year they changed the cactus design (making it less dark)

on one thread someone said the new ones have less depth. Im looking for depth as I find my voice tends to come out too thin even on a 6K microphone. I had better results with the $200 bluebird.

, i want depth and mystique

so, old cactus, new cactus , another mike all together?
Old 14th December 2010
I dont consider the Cactus dark at all. I will say its not a "hype" microphone. The sound is very smooth and creamy- yet detailed. Its not going to work well with other tube items in the chain, for if you do, thats when the resultant becomes darker and less detailed sounding. I highly recommend a solid state pre- say the Burl 1D, API 512 or Brent Avril 312. I have had excellent results with this microphone, and no complaints from clients. For comparison I do also own: Korby Fet, u47, u67, C12, telefunken 251, and I consider the Cactus on par with all of them. And yes, this mic responds very well to EQ.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Just thought I would bump this thread to mention that I spotted the Cactus on HBO last night, on a documentary about the Elton John/Leon Russell recording called The Union, produced by T-Bone Burnett. It was set up as a vocal mic at a piano.

I've heard about the mic being used on other T-Bone Burnett recordings of Elvis Costello and Alison Krauss. So, it looks like it is a mic that his team relies upon with some frequency.

I bought Chromalord's Cactus about a year ago, and have since gotten another one. I like them a whole lot.
📝 Reply