The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The differenc between hype and reality...
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

The differenc between hype and reality...

The fact that a Greg Hanks BA-660 like this:

The differenc between hype and reality...Greg Hanks Design Ba 660 Tube Limiter Fairchild Eddie Van Halen 5150 3387 | eBay

Can sit around ebay so long is insane. (And no, I have zero affliation, just a fan of that piece of gear)

If most people knew what this thing can do and how it sounds, it IS all that is good about a true Fairchild, and others.

Just not as hyped, I guess

Just sad to see. Such works of art some people have designed for us.

-Andrews
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Huh?
Hey Halo,
For the sake of a few hundred bucks Eddie's H3000 SE BlueFace Hasn't sold in 1 Year!
What's your Point?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Funny you don't see any inside pics. The box just isn't too popular and too expensive for most peoples impulse buys.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Funny you don't see any inside pics. The box just isn't too popular and too expensive for most peoples impulse buys.
Frans, I think you'll find Technoempire as an eBay store is just to expensive compared to others!
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Could well be if I would invest the time to find out. Anyways, if things are too expensive, people can vote with their wallet. These things aren't a monopoly, compared to gas, electrical power, etc.etc. which mostly are, more or less a bit disguised.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes...........1st world problems of the lowest magnitude! Agreed
Old 19th March 2014
Did you guys know Greg is still designing the BA-660? I don't think he will ever stop working on it.

Right now, Greg is gearing up for another run of his legendary machine. But this time he decided to make an optional AD Converter specifically for his unit,

Using the BA's internal circuitry!!!!!

That's right lads...this is an "invincible" ADC option for the BA660. Greg and I will be putting his first prototype unit through some paces next week.

He has some other new designs as well,

Watch out for Greg Hanks in 2014!!! Dude is on a mission to make King Kong Audio Appliances,

I will be sure to update the boards with my findings, whenever possible.

The BA-660 is just so insane, my god.....
I could talk about this box for hours,
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Did you guys know Greg is still designing the BA-660? I don't think he will ever stop working on it.

Right now, Greg is gearing up for another run of his legendary machine. But this time he decided to make an optional AD Converter specifically for his unit,

Using the BA's internal circuitry!!!!!

That's right lads...this is an "invincible" ADC option for the BA660. Greg and I will be putting his first prototype unit through some paces next week.

He has some other new designs as well,

Watch out for Greg Hanks in 2014!!! Dude is on a mission to make King Kong Audio Appliances,

I will be sure to update the boards with my findings, whenever possible.

The BA-660 is just so insane, my god.....
I could talk about this box for hours,

Sounds VERY cool. It's amazing how few people actually know about them.

If you put a Fairchild 660 up on eBay for $3400 it'd be gone, yet people don't know the value of the BA660 (in terms of people who actually USE gear, not just collect it).

Anyway, sounds like it's going to be a monster!!!

-andrews
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

To all the designers that spend countless hours gripping a soldering gun late into the night... I salute thee!
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I guess it's all user Hype! Big name Engineers such as Chuck Mainly will put his name to near any product. So the Endorsement thing ran out of steaming sh*t along, long time ago....! Now it's sheer word of mouth unless the well known logo sits there, and we all know just how many well known Logo's have crashed with bad QC and Products etc et al!
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Not sure I'm following the meaning of this thread (based on the title).. Are you saying that the BA-660 is over-hyped because it can't sell for $3500 on eBay?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

If it's so good a deal why don't you buy it yourself?

Your answer is then probably the same for everybody
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
If it's so good a deal why don't you buy it yourself?

Your answer is then probably the same for everybody
You mean everybody already has a few? That's why I can't.

Do a little search and you'll see what these things really are. VERY cool, I promise you.

-a
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You mean everybody already has a few? That's why I can't.

Do a little search and you'll see what these things really are. VERY cool, I promise you.

-a
So... then I bet you can't believe how low is the resale value, right??

pushing it up a touch?

Yeah.. pulling your leg!
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Head

Hype and Reality

I'm a Bit Pissed!!
The two units listed on EBAY state the BA-660 is a Fairchild Clone

I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE OR HAVE THE EXACT SAME RESPONSE AS ANY of the EMULATED units!

I can appreciate their need to sell the boxes, but there is NO truth in that claim!

On another note:
To answer whether or not it's worth the price... (Remember, the units on Ebay were sold by Sweetwater for less than $3000 twenty years ago!)

I think the BA-660 is too expensive!

I wish I could sell it for less. The only way I can is to do it at a loss (Close to that now!) or cut corners somewhere. My only choice would be the user interface...I won't compromise the audio..
  1. LED Meter instead of old round analog
  2. Pushbutton/encoder for two twelve position switches
  3. Use a different type of pushbutton (Shadow type switch?)
  4. Remove "Trim" option.... OR ... removed FIXED position
If all of the above were incorporated, I could remove $500 off dealer cost.
I look forward to feedback.

Last edited by ghanks; 20th March 2014 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: adds and changes
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
Today, here in the 21st Century, the world of recording has been flooded with quality tools from boutique designers.

It is easy to be a small enterprise, yet have your designs utilized in dozens of countries scattered around the globe. What is not so easy, is reaching "legendary" status.

The EAR 660 comes to mind. Although, even calling EAR 660s legendary seems like a stretch.

Anyway, if there is a piece of gear that one thinks should be legendary, yet the rest of the world is not hip to it... that is a plus, the more one can accumulate said pieces on the cheap:-)

To all the designers that spend countless hours gripping a soldering gun late into the night... I salute thee!

The EAR 660 now is not just overhyped but waaaaay overpriced these days…

Tim is taking the
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
So... then I bet you can't believe how low is the resale value, right??

pushing it up a touch?

Yeah.. pulling your leg!

Ha! Yeah, right. I own one and am NEVER letting it go!

-a
Old 21st March 2014
I'm just gonna say it....Greg's Manual compressor mode on the BA-660 is my favorite. We had the BA on a vocal at my studio, and he switched it to that mode, my heart got heavy. Just sounded incredible to me,

I do also really love the other presets too, and can find plenty of use for them. The presets are for instant bonk, [when you don't want to think as much and just turn the thresholding to suit your material] but I find myself always using the manual pre-set modes, so I can shape the desired action better to the sound I'm working on. It really is multiple compressor actions on a switch.

A lot different than having all those compressors in the rack. You will spend more time finding your favorite envelope with a rack of compressors, than you will with a Greg Hanks BA-660.

I really dig the BA6A preset, and the LA2A one, those modes have the character I find attractive, The Fairchild one is very nice too, and...it will instantly sound like an SSL or a Neve if you want.

This big white space heater is an Analog Computer!!!!!! Mind blowing....

But again, the Pre-sets are just the envelope of the compressors, not the tone of the amplifiers in those other compressors. The BA-660 amplifiers do their own thang..All of that is handled by other wizardry, not seen elsewhere...
Old 14th June 2014
BA-660 with ADC module

The BA-660 keeps growing....

Mr. Hanks has finally finished working on the optional ADC module. It will be ready for the Next Run of BA-660 units!!!! He tackled this in such a way that the ADC, [with AES/EBU output] matches the available Headroom within the BA-660's circuitry.

Price is going up due to manufacturing costs, and several refinements have been made to the unit's setup. Most notably, one that tickles my ear holes - Greg "Linearized" the V3 tube, which I find has enhanced the BA's line amplifier and limiting performance to even greater heights.

Price is now $5500 for Analog and $6250 with AD module.

There are only two remaining units left over from the last run at the price of $4500. They can [and probably should be] upgraded with AD boards for an additional fee.

Existing units can be upgraded for a fee + shipping both ways.

email me for more info,
[email protected]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search