The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hilo mix translation Audio Interfaces
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Hilo mix translation

Just wondering what the Hilo is like to work with. Is the AD conversion pretty good, or is it lacking compared with a Prism? What about the DA and headphone amp – conducive to decent mixes?

Reading between the lines of some comments, I get the impression the Prism might be ‘nicer’ in some way, but is that a good or a bad thing for recording and mixing?
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

I don´t compared it against the Prism, but i can tell you the Hilo AD/DA is amazing. Better than Aurora 16 or Digi 192 IMO. The sound quality for me is in the same league as Mytek, even superior... One of the best bang for the buck, cause you have a great Stereo AD/DA (2 DA in fact) Control room and nice routing flexibility.
Works really great for tracking and critical listening, mixing, etc...
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks, Jake.

I keep coming back to the Hilo, and it seems like it will a good choice for me. It's reassuring to know that someone thinks it's a decent unit! I think I just need to buy one to try it out. I also need a preamp - I'm thinking of a DAV.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've owned the Hilo and now have the Crimson.

Also check out the new Tascam UH-7000 which has similar feature set to the Hilo but no FPGA tech for one quarter of the price.

Cheers
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've been using the Hilo for about a year. Conversion sounds very good to me, but I have not compared it to the Prism stuff. It sounds very forward and my tracking almost sounds like it's mixed already, haha. I've been very happy with it so far, but, again, I have not made comparisons.

The headphone output has a very focused sound...I much prefer the sound of an Alesis Masterlink headphone output, which is the best I've ever heard.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Just wondering what the Hilo is like to work with. Is the AD conversion pretty good, or is it lacking compared with a Prism? What about the DA and headphone amp – conducive to decent mixes?

Reading between the lines of some comments, I get the impression the Prism might be ‘nicer’ in some way, but is that a good or a bad thing for recording and mixing?
Considering the Prism Titan is all but a non functioning boat anchor, anything would be better.
The Prism does not sound any better than any of the others and is such a poorly designed box, any benefit of extremely over priced convertors is futile, considering you will never ever get the Prism gear to run reliable enough to count on.
The driver software is doomed from the gate. The driver design adds 2ms each way and causes inconsistent latency reporting and dismal RTL reporting that runs erratic and unstable.
Further, PrismSound do not stand behind their products, be aware.
If you have a problem with your Prism gear, then what you have is a problem and you will find customer support will kindly listen to your woes, before telling you to go F+++ yourself.
Old 3rd June 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I've owned the Hilo and now have the Crimson.

Also check out the new Tascam UH-7000 which has similar feature set to the Hilo but no FPGA tech for one quarter of the price.

Cheers
nicknack, how would you compare the two quality wise? Crimson vs hilo. Im looking to go from an Echo AudioFire 12 to a crimson since downsizing my studio.
Old 3rd June 2014
Here for the gear
To me the Hilo sounds somehow less digital than other converters I've compared it to. (Mytek 96adc, fireface, i88x)

Words is use to describe the sound; full, open, 3d. It's not perfect and still does not sound like there is no conversion happening at all, which would be the ideal, but it does sound veeeery nice.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

I would describe the Hilo as being nice digital and the Crimson being nice analogue.

The Hilo is a nice unit dont get me wrong but I think you can sort of still get bogged down in menu ala FPGA.

Yeah its nice to poke a touch OLED but the Crimson is very direct.

The convertors are from the Madison and the pre's are nice.

The Hilo only has one knob and one headphone out whereas the Crimson has two.

Your choice.... half rack Hilo or desktop Crimson with big volume knob.

Sound and routing on Crimson wins for me.

Received 10/10 in Music Radar.

2499 Hilo with thunderbolt or 699 Crimson and some change for outboard... your choice.

Cheers
Old 4th June 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
I would describe the Hilo as being nice digital and the Crimson being nice analogue.

The Hilo is a nice unit dont get me wrong but I think you can sort of still get bogged down in menu ala FPGA.

Yeah its nice to poke a touch OLED but the Crimson is very direct.

The convertors are from the Madison and the pre's are nice.

The Hilo only has one knob and one headphone out whereas the Crimson has two.

Your choice.... half rack Hilo or desktop Crimson with big volume knob.

Sound and routing on Crimson wins for me.

Received 10/10 in Music Radar.

2499 Hilo with thunderbolt or 699 Crimson and some change for outboard... your choice.

Cheers
Thanks Im going to snag one the next time Front End Audio runs their 15% off coupon, probably fathers day or July 4th. $649-15% off. Im on it.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
Thanks Im going to snag one the next time Front End Audio runs their 15% off coupon, probably fathers day or July 4th. $649-15% off. Im on it.
If price is the main factor, then go for the Crimson. If you want a unit that is so good that it gets used in mastering facilities, then go with the Hilo. I am surprised that the Crimson is even being mentioned in the company of Prism and Hilo.

The best thing to do is listen to a Hilo and a Crimson side by side. Keep in mind that the Crimson mostly gets praised as a USB interface, monitoring station, and especially its affordability, not so much for its AD/DA conversion. The Crimson really is no match for the Hilo or the Prism in that regard. It's a totally different animal. Don't expect to get Prism/Hilo type conversion out of it. I say this because the converters seemed to be the point of focus in your original post. The Crimson will not give you that class of conversion.

I also find it interesting when folks give the list price of one item and the sale price of another. Yes the Hilo is a bit expensive, but you can get one for quite a bit less than the list price.
Old 5th June 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
If price is the main factor, then go for the Crimson. If you want a unit that is so good that it gets used in mastering facilities, then go with the Hilo. I am surprised that the Crimson is even being mentioned in the company of Prism and Hilo.

The best thing to do is listen to a Hilo and a Crimson side by side. Keep in mind that the Crimson mostly gets praised as a USB interface, monitoring station, and especially its affordability, not so much for its AD/DA conversion. The Crimson really is no match for the Hilo or the Prism in that regard. It's a totally different animal. Don't expect to get Prism/Hilo type conversion out of it. I say this because the converters seemed to be the point of focus in your original post. The Crimson will not give you that class of conversion.

I also find it interesting when folks give the list price of one item and the sale price of another. Yes the Hilo is a bit expensive, but you can get one for quite a bit less than the list price.
Im interested in the Crimson only cause Im downsizing. Right now I have an Echo AudioFire 12 and a monitor station. I have a Korg Kronos, MPC REN and Access Virus TI, all of which can stream audio via usb. The 12 channel interface is not needed anymore. I didn't start the thread.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
f price is the main factor, then go for the Crimson. If you want a unit that is so good that it gets used in mastering facilities, then go with the Hilo. I am surprised that the Crimson is even being mentioned in the company of Prism and Hilo.

Doubt very much the IBE is going to notice too much of a difference between the 2 .

The Crimson has the Madison convertors which arent to shabby may I add. 117 db

Hilo although slightly more transparent and 3 d comes in at around 123 db.

The Crimson will be able to accept most of the instruments you have listed.

Also Prism doesnt get much of a rap on here at GS. Overpriced and rated.

The Hilo or Lynx havent made that much progress either in the 2-3 years since its inception with its FPGA.

Cheers
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
I didn't start the thread.
I was referring to the original posters comments.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Doubt very much the IBE is going to notice too much of a difference between the 2 .

The Crimson has the Madison convertors which arent to shabby may I add. 117 db

Hilo although slightly more transparent and 3 d comes in at around 123 db.

The Crimson will be able to accept most of the instruments you have listed.

Also Prism doesnt get much of a rap on here at GS. Overpriced and rated.

The Hilo or Lynx havent made that much progress either in the 2-3 years since its inception with its FPGA.

Cheers
I was referring to the original posters comments, not IBE's. I still say that if we are talking strictly conversion, the Prism and Hilo are the better units. The Crimson is good for what it is, but SPL is not touting the Crimson as a high-end converter. It's stronger points are as a USB interface and as a Monitoring system.

Hilo has updated it's units firmware (and will continue to do so) and now has thunderbolt connectivity. I would call that progress. Since it can accept other components in its Lslot, it can grow with future technology.

If I was on a strict budget, I would have no problem getting the Crimson or similar device, but I prefer the Hilo as a high-end AD/DA converter system for critical listening. Hilo is the best I can afford at the moment.
Old 5th June 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I was referring to the original posters comments.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search