The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trade the BAE DMP for what 500 Pre?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Trade the BAE DMP for what 500 Pre?

I am trying to consolidate my gear and desk space. I have a nice little Radial Cube rack with an API 527 compressor. I currently have a BAE DMP. I primarily record female vocals and acoustic / electric guitar. Nothing else really. What would be a good pre for those purposes? The Great River (not sure how much power it requires and it will take up the remaining 2 slots in my Cube, which may be ok)? The Avedis MA5 (same question about power but also, no front input connections...)? Vintech 573?

Thanks all!
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Heritage 73 Jr
Old 8th March 2014
cant go wrong with a Millennia HV-35. Clean and transparent. Let's your mic and your content be the hero. I love mine. It's my goto for a clean channel. Millennia into a Grace Design compressor. I also have an API channel and a Phoenix channel if I need more punch and color, but for open and clean, Millennia.

The vintech sounds great based on the demos ive heard. That will probably be my next pre down the road.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks! Both look cool - wish they had the XLR combo connector on the front panel, but no big deal. What's the best Neve clone? Vintech? Heritage? The actual Neve 1073LB?

Or for something different, how do folks like the API 512 for female vocals / guitars?
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Thanks! Both look cool - wish they had the XLR combo connector on the front panel, but no big deal. What's the best Neve clone? Vintech? Heritage? The actual Neve 1073LB?

Or for something different, how do folks like the API 512 for female vocals / guitars?
Neve 1073's and neve clones are the most talked subjects on gs ever. Have you done a search? Have fun with that!

You already have an incredible world class mic pre in the dmp. To get rid of it to clean up your desktop is crazy. But i do get that you have a 500 rack and it would be compact and convienent.

So, the great river is really nice. Not quite as colored as the bae, but very similiar. A little sweeter top end, but I prefer the extra color and warmth of bae.
Vintech is great. Its a little grittier and has more high mids. I havent used one, but from the clips ive heard the ma5 is right in bae/great river territory.

Personally, id keep the dmp man. I spent years chasing preamps and ended up with a bae 1073mp, and ive never been happier.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Unless you don't like the dmp, why bothering? You already have a fantastic piece (with a stellar DI).. if it's not broke don't fix it..

In the 500 series I'm a big fan of the Avedis MA5.. it sounds really great.. and it doesn't have a DI for a good reason: Avedis wasn't satisfied with the results he was getting.. so he let that out.. you could always get a good ol' jdi or a jensen one..(eventually)..

But I would use the one you already have in the dmp.. which is top notch.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks all. The DMP is great, but I like the ability to just have a single box as it were that houses both components - preamp and compressor. Thats why I was thinking of swapping it assuming there was something that was in the same ballpark. It sounds like nobody really likes the 1073LB and the Heritage 73JR is the best option? I'd like a DI included, so I don't think I'll be going with the MA5.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

What are you looking to get for your DMP bro?

Not for nothing, I'd go with Heritage if you like the tone of your BAE. You're right, the Ma5 has no DI, so if you really need it I'd def look at something else(although if you pick up a Countryman, you'd be perfectly fine). Don't be afraid to step out of that Neve realm into slight different and modern, but still thick in tone options like the Burl B1D, Shadow Hills Gamma or Chandler Little Devil Pre. All have tone for days to the point that if acquiring any Neve tone was too expensive to be had, they would all be more than fine for doing a record...seriously...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Probably looking for ~$900 for the DMP (no Bootsy mod on this on). Think I might just hold out for finding a 1073LB (the convenience of the XLR combo jack on the front is appealing to me). Might look at the Heritage as well. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread really. Thanks for the help!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, at that level, nothings going to suck for sure...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have the vintech, great river and api 512. Of those, the last one I would use for Vox would be the 512. The differences between the GR and the vintech have been accurately described in this thread. All are great preamps though.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
The Great River (not sure how much power it requires

Thanks all!
No power issues have ever been reported to me about Great River 500 series Modules.
The MP500NV is one super solid piece of gear. Like it's elders the MP2NV and MP1NV. I am pretty sure this module runs of its own 24v step up converter, and has been made bullet proof for API format frames. I truly respect Dan for making his Great River gear incredibly rugged in the field. It is among the best I have ever seen.

peace
a.j.b
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

The 1073lb or 88rlb would both do the job for the 500 series. If shootouts the ams seems to win most the time over bae. Check em out yourself tho.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks all. The DMP is great, but I like the ability to just have a single box as it were that houses both components - preamp and compressor. Thats why I was thinking of swapping it assuming there was something that was in the same ballpark. It sounds like nobody really likes the 1073LB and the Heritage 73JR is the best option? I'd like a DI included, so I don't think I'll be going with the MA5.
I'd strongly suggest to test out the units with your ears before buying blindly following suggestions on the net.. that is also true for the MA5 of course.. try to get a dealer that let you test the units..

Try them at your place and decide if keeping the dmp is better then getting something different.. you should be happy with the results, so in this case you're the final judge.

Btw conveniency is a tradeoff.. if it's worth is again up to you, but I don't see a big problem carrying around a small DI..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 21st July 2016
Gear Maniac

I tried the BAE 1073 and loved it.
My preamp chasing ended here.
Only for that reason i would never go 500series, knowing my preamp chasing starting all over again
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search