The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6be or Solo 6?? Studio Monitors
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

It would probably be much easier to just pull out a speaker to look inside to see if there is anything obviously just out of place.
Old 24th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Unless you and your "well respected engineer" were sitting directly in the sweet spot, and the Twins were listened to both horizontally and vertically in the space you were listening your opinion is suspect and a dual driver design is not an issue for hundreds of other speakers in both studio and live sound use. The twins are awesome but you really need to experiment with the position as changes can vary the field widely. Here we have Genelec, Focal, Yamaha NS-10M, KRK Customs, and some JBL customs and the Focals are more detailed than all of them without the hype that the Genelecs can get. But then again...I am not a well respected engineer.....

Just my two cents.
I don`t know why my opinion would be "suspect" as I have no agenda. Just my opinion as you have yours.
I was trying to say that I and others who faced most of the Focal range were not convinced that the Twins were as good as the Solo6 for mixing.

At a two day seminar with Fab Dupont he admitted that at the time he would put up the Twins for clients but would mix with the Solo6. So, I guess he feels that the Solo6 were better as a mix monitor as well.

I would use Focals if the situation presented itself with no issues from what I heard myself. Even the Twins. The Solo6 sounded impeccable though a little sparkly on the top end.

I have been using Genelec 8050A and 1030A with NS10 for years which influences my perspective.

I wouldn`t mind having Twins as a great listening/presentation speaker. And if a good deal could be had,I would do just that.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

I was only saying that your opinion would be suspect simply due to unfamiliar factors involved. Making assumptions due to a two driver design on something as critical as monitoring in an unfamiliar environment with so many uncontrolled and unfamiliar variables is always suspect, I think. Especially when there are so many speakers out there that are using a two speaker design very successfully.

If the Twins were being used in the same room and the only other boxes were the ones you mentioned, then any odd anomalies in the space would be twice as noticeable simply due to more air being moved by the dual drivers, which would in fact enforce your point. However you didn't state that, or at least to my understanding it was not what you meant. It seemed you were blaming the phase you heard on the boxes twin driver design. Also the Twin6 is a box that changes more dramatically than most I have heard when simply flipping them on their side, or to flat, or vice versa.

Once a while back I was invited to a high end touring speaker manufacturers demo in an exhibition hall (I did national and international concerts for about 15 years) and while at the demo I was really just not impressed with the speakers. In fact, me and my buddy who owns another national sized sound company were just really underwhelmed. Then we took them to a local out door concert that seats about 5K people and we were like...."WHOA, HOLY SH!t"........Just saying that environment really matters.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
From the thread So i got to compare focal solo6 and twin6... on 21st Dec 2012

...with my favorite tunes for the purpose, ZZ top - waitin' for the bus, dire straits - once upon a time in the west and KISS - sure know something.

I know these songs quite well sonics wise. To me the solos appeared more mid forward and had alot less stereo spread than the twins. The difference was huge... The twins were really deep, like twice as deep and ten times larger. The twins appeared alot less midrangy as well, sweeter overall. i could practically grab the instruments in the air and breath right through the reverb trails if that makes sense at all...I didn't expect such a difference and i'm glad i could compare them as i was looking into the solos...i've changed my mind!!!

Anybody had the same experience with those?
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yes! I was listening last night to a couple of Tim McGraw tunes and some older Queensryche stuff and get the exact same feeling from the twins. It seems like the vocalist is right there in the room with me. Pretty crazy cool how that works on these things.
Old 26th April 2014
Here for the gear

ok...here some further information.

I opened the speakers. I tryed to take out the woofers first, but I couldn´t get them out after I unscrewed them. So I opened the back. It seems to be the white air cushion foil, that makes the noise. It´s the only thing that´s loosley inside the speakers. I thought taping them would be a good idea. I also fixed them with double-sided tape to the chassis.
The sound is different now. The Fluttering is little less than before. It really must have to do with this foil. But it´s not gone :/
I asked myself If I could leave it all out? I´m going to send a message to the technical support of focal. Maybe they can give me some advice...

Here are some pictures I took:
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Twin 6be or Solo 6??-image.jpg   Focal Twin 6be or Solo 6??-image-1-.jpg   Focal Twin 6be or Solo 6??-image-2-.jpg  
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

I would pull apart the other non fluttering speaker and see how it is supposed to be attached. Good that you found it and that would be an easy and cheap fix!
Old 29th April 2014
Here for the gear

the problem is the fluttering is also on the other side :/ basically they are the same level at the moment. If I don´t get any answer from support, I´ll try to leave it all out and see what happens.
Old 29th April 2014
Lives for gear

Ahhh sorry. I wasn't aware that this was an issue on both boxes...
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Maniac

well my Twins came on Wednesday........I have been extremely happy with what I have heard so far........i have been trying to let them run in for several hours each day.......i would estimate that so far I have about 14 hours of letting them play.

what I have noticed in sitting down and listening to them is that I really hear just tons more detail than what I am used too. the whole overall mix to any song I listen to now seems to have an added depth to it that is unlike what i have heard before. but i suppose that is what you would hope to get when stepping up to monitors at the price point.

i was talking to a friend of mine about it and I tried to explain it by saying that it just seems that if i could reach into the mix that I would be able to reach further into than what I have ever been able to hear before.

it was a big investment for me but one that I am super happy about now that they are here and I am actually listening to them.

a nice added bonus is just how sexy these things look in there studio......beautiful for sure! based on my first few days of use I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Head

Got my twins on Friday and put 10 hours of burn in on them so far. Coming from Adam A7x monitors, I am amazed at the detail I hear with the twins. Listening to reference recordings through them I am hearing things like reverb tails that I never heard on the Adams. Not that the Adams are any slouches and these were a big jump in cost compared to the Adams, but well worth it.
Old 13th April 2016
Here for the gear

Solo or Twin with NS-10's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I don`t know why my opinion would be "suspect" as I have no agenda. Just my opinion as you have yours.
I was trying to say that I and others who faced most of the Focal range were not convinced that the Twins were as good as the Solo6 for mixing.

At a two day seminar with Fab Dupont he admitted that at the time he would put up the Twins for clients but would mix with the Solo6. So, I guess he feels that the Solo6 were better as a mix monitor as well.

I would use Focals if the situation presented itself with no issues from what I heard myself. Even the Twins. The Solo6 sounded impeccable though a little sparkly on the top end.

I have been using Genelec 8050A and 1030A with NS10 for years which influences my perspective.

I wouldn`t mind having Twins as a great listening/presentation speaker. And if a good deal could be had,I would do just that.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I'm looking to replace some Genelec 1031's with the Focals (either Solo or Twin). I've been using NS-10's with my Genelecs and tend to do most of my mixing on the NS-10's and just do mix checks on the Genelecs. How do the Focals pair with NS-10's and how do they compare or differ from the NS-10's?

Thanks!
Daniel
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search