The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Solo6 BE - static problem Studio Monitors
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Focal Solo6 BE - static problem

Hi There
Any Focal reps on here?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia. In 2007 I purchased a pair of Solo6's. Love them to bits. Run them though a power conditioner and use a Metric Halo ULN-8 and never ever drive them hard.

In 2012 one of them started getting a static scratchy noise from the woofer. Had it repaired at local dealer, replaced whole chassis for around $600. A year later, the other one did the SAME thing. Took it to the local authorised repair centre (via RMA process with dealer), and it was repaired for a cost of around $400 (replaced caps, resistors etc). Now, only 12 months later, the repaired one is doing it again. 13 months after being repaired (out of work guarantee period of course).

I'm in a quandary. I'm sick of spending money on these speakers, they are only used occasionally, I only run a part time business. I don't know whether to hassle Focal (they did give me a 15% discount on the module for the other speaker), go back to the repair centre that seems to charge a lot for a few hours work, or.....I don't know. Just take them to some local analog tech?

Very disappointed in what are otherwise exceptional speakers. A 5 year lifespan (which was more or less considered to be reasonable by the Focal rep I spoke to...!!!) is not really ok for pro gear in my book. I have audio gear that's 20 years old or more and still going strong.

Any ideas? I'm out of them....

Cheers,
Nathan.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

five years and two replaced drivers and another now failing. you are correct. it is far from acceptable for monitors in this price range.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Yes. But it's not the drivers, the speakers are fine, it's the amplifier module.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nado View Post
Hi There
Any Focal reps on here?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia. In 2007 I purchased a pair of Solo6's. Love them to bits. Run them though a power conditioner and use a Metric Halo ULN-8 and never ever drive them hard.

In 2012 one of them started getting a static scratchy noise from the woofer. Had it repaired at local dealer, replaced whole chassis for around $600. A year later, the other one did the SAME thing. Took it to the local authorised repair centre (via RMA process with dealer), and it was repaired for a cost of around $400 (replaced caps, resistors etc). Now, only 12 months later, the repaired one is doing it again. 13 months after being repaired (out of work guarantee period of course).

I'm in a quandary. I'm sick of spending money on these speakers, they are only used occasionally, I only run a part time business. I don't know whether to hassle Focal (they did give me a 15% discount on the module for the other speaker), go back to the repair centre that seems to charge a lot for a few hours work, or.....I don't know. Just take them to some local analog tech?

Very disappointed in what are otherwise exceptional speakers. A 5 year lifespan (which was more or less considered to be reasonable by the Focal rep I spoke to...!!!) is not really ok for pro gear in my book. I have audio gear that's 20 years old or more and still going strong.

Cheers,
Nathan.
Hi Nathan,

First of all, we are sorry about your misadventure with your Solo6 Be.

We are going to do our best to help you having answers quickly about your problem. To do so, could you please send us by private message your details (name, adress, email adress, phone number) as well as the date of purchase of your monitors with the proof of purchase, the name of the retailer and finally the person you contacted about the mentionned problem?

Many thanks,
Regards,
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Well, I have some great news!!

The local distributor was forwarded my email I sent to Focal with some more details of the problem, and they are replacing the module for me at no cost! My faith has been well and truly restored. Now I can continue to sing Focal's praises without having to add in a "But...."

Very happy chap. Thanks Focal and Awave in Melbourne!!!

A good news story hey?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Bravo Focal!
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

Yeah I have had similar experience with the Solo6 amps failing. I've had three of them fail I believe, 4 if you count the a DOA rma replacement. Luckily, Simon and the support team have been great to deal with. I've had smooth sailing for the past year but honestly it's still in the back of my mind that these amps will fail again sooner than later. Knock on wood they will last a bit longer than usual.
Old 16th June 2014
Here for the gear

Starting to hear this static in one of my Focal Solo6's now myself. I tested out just about every possible scenario (different power outlets, directly out of my interface as opposed to straight out of the DAC), I'm definitely getting static out of the tweeter and a low hum out of the woofer. I've only had these since October of 2013 (purchased brand new from Sweetwater). After reading what the OP said about the rep telling him that 5 years was a "reasonable life span," I'm wondering if I made the right purchase. My HR824's turned 10 this year and they're still doing great. Can't imagine a monitor twice the price would have half the lifespan.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Addict

Wow, the qualityissues of Focals really scare me away.
Lots of troubles!
Such a pity, for the price they sound really good.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nado View Post
Hi There
Any Focal reps on here?

Cheers,
Nathan.
Hi Nathan, i clicked on this thread as i thought perhaps i had written this myself 5 years ago! I have had this very same problem for all this time, static mainly on the one speaker which ive had repaired four times and then a year later its back. I've tried a bunch of repairers here in melbourne to not much success and currently trying out Dr Sound whos still ordering in parts from focal. Its a really long process especially when you need to rely on them every day. I just heard that Awave send their speakers to my friend Barney for repairs, i had no idea he even repaired so next time I'll go strait to him.

Im also really fed up with these issues, Focal :( so if anyone else has ideas please let me know.

Dan
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

I too had reliability issues with my Solo 6 Be monitors. Noisy amp module, broken switch, etc. After the second out of warranty repair I sold them. Pro audio gear should be designed and built to be sturdy and reliable. No ifs ands or buts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search