The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bricasti M7 - version 3.0 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 17th February 2018
  #181
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
having 16 h8000 in one box isn't really bad though... - how about having 7.1 m7 in one box? :-)
Yes... but the point is that a new product should provide vertical AND horizontal power boost. It has always been like that.
H3000> DSP4000
DSP4000>DSP7000
Orville>H8000
Old 17th February 2018
  #182
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
a new product should provide vertical AND horizontal power boost
i can imagine that, as an experienced tech, you might get bored not seeing any new algorithms in new gear - but should that really be? i'm quite happy that my newer studer desk does the same as older variants...

i'll get the 9000 sometimes soon - and i'm waiting for a multichannel version of the m7!

(of course i wouldn't mind if they'd all get a few new toys inside, but that's not my focus)
Old 17th February 2018
  #183
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i can imagine that, as an experienced tech, you might get bored not seeing any new algorithms in new gear - but should that really be? i'm quite happy that my newer studer desk does the same as older variants...

i'll get the 9000 sometimes soon - and i'm waiting for a multichannel version of the m7!

(of course i wouldn't mind if they'd all get a few new toys inside, but that's not my focus)
Apples and Oranges!!!
If you don't have the 8000 you can't understand...
Old 17th February 2018
  #184
Lives for gear
 

fugazzi
Old 17th February 2018
  #185
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
fugazzi
Amazing! Comparing a mixing board to an effects processor.
How easy is to sell anything these days!
Old 17th February 2018
  #186
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
How easy is to sell anything these days!
it was not to promote an article: obvously you cannot understand that there are some weirdo folks out there (like me) that are prepared to pay big bucks to get more of the same (more channels on a desk, more efx devices, more microphones - whatever gear).

now back to topic: any chance that there will be a multichannel m7 and/or a software (version 7...) to make several m7 become an m7s(urround)?
Old 17th February 2018
  #187
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
it was not to promote an article: obvously you cannot understand that there are some weirdo folks out there (like me) that are prepared to pay big bucks to get more of the same (more channels on a desk, more efx devices, more microphones - whatever gear).

now back to topic: any chance that there will be a multichannel m7 and/or a software (version 7...) to make several m7 become an m7s(urround)?

Sure...
you are getting the same product with more instances. Might be good for the typical studio "workflow"... but when you will need to so something more/else than the previous product... you won't be able. You'll probably understand that in time.
A multichannel M7 is a vertical improvement! Making you able to do what you can't with the current unit..
A software version making the current M7 surround? Impossible.
It'll take so much processing power to do reverb as Bricasti does... on several channels at the same time.
More M7s "linked"? Unlikely. So many limitations will occur and hard to work with (UI and control).
If it will ever happen... be ready for a new model, possibly a bigger box... and obviously more expensive. You pay for... vertical and horizontal power increase as it's always been THE way to go in DSP resources usage/needs.
Old 17th February 2018
  #188
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
having 16 h8000 in one box isn't really bad though... - how about having 7.1 m7 in one box? :-)
More likely 8 H8000s in one box.
Need to read some manuals there... and realize the H8000 monolithic mode is almost twice as powerful as 2 H9000 fx engines... meaning the H8000 runs large algorithms at 96KHz, while the H9000 won't be able to run those same beasts at higher than 48KHz. How about some vertical power boost?
Old 17th February 2018
  #189
Gear Maniac
 

Bricasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Lot's of good reverb in LA. The technology is getting close.



-Casey
How do I know which version of my Bricasti is and how to update it?

Thanks
Old 17th February 2018
  #190
Lives for gear
 
Casey's Avatar
 

If you see preset banks Halls2 Plates2... etc then you have V2 which is the latest version. If not then just PM me an I can get an upgrade kit out to you.



-Casey
Old 17th February 2018
  #191
Lives for gear
 

multichannel/surround

any word from you, casey?
Old 18th February 2018
  #192
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
If you see preset banks Halls2 Plates2... etc then you have V2 which is the latest version. If not then just PM me an I can get an upgrade kit out to you.



-Casey
Yes any idea when v3 and M200 might be out. These releases always are delayed and unpredictable I know but ballpark?
Old 18th February 2018
  #193
Lives for gear
 
Casey's Avatar
 

I can only say that they are in active development and they are both over a year away. So nothing is imminent.

BTW does everyone have Michaels M7 Control plugin? I still speak with quite a few M7 users that are not aware of it. Go get it! And yes it does work great on the M7M as well. I want to make sure that he is motivated to do followups for the new stuff!

Bricasti M7 Control — Exponential Audio - Reverb & Effects Plug-ins



-Casey
Old 18th February 2018
  #194
Gear Maniac
 

M7 Control makes life much easier!
Old 18th February 2018
  #195
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I can only say that they are in active development and they are both over a year away. So nothing is imminent.

BTW does everyone have Michaels M7 Control plugin? I still speak with quite a few M7 users that are not aware of it. Go get it! And yes it does work great on the M7M as well. I want to make sure that he is motivated to do followups for the new stuff!

Bricasti M7 Control — Exponential Audio - Reverb & Effects Plug-ins



-Casey
M7 control is the second best thing I bought last year. M7 is the first....
Old 18th February 2018
  #196
Gear Maniac
 
arsmusic's Avatar
I have a M7m and the Exponential Audio control plugin. It is great. I was looking forward to the v3 upgrade. Then after using my M7 for a few months I found out I liked the V1 stuff but did not like the v2 stuff at all. I talked to the President of Bricasti at Namm a few weeks ago. I forget his name. He was telling me the v2 was more of a fake space upgrade maybe more like Lexicon or similar. V1 was meant to be real and sound like you were there. I think that is why I like v1 so much. If I want a fake sounding reverb I can use a Lexicon, Eventide etc. If I want it to sound like it was recorded there I use my Bricasti. Anyways, my point is I think I could careless about the v3 upgrade now. But my question is and I sort of have to explain a bit.

When I use the Bricasti during mixing the EA control plugin works great. I only have one M7 right now. So, I also track with it. I add a little bit to the drum room mics. I add a bit or a lot to the guitars, to the vocals etc. I either do this on separate tracks or take a wet/dry track and a dry track so i do not paint myself in a corner when it comes time to mix. I still want to get another m7 eventually. But look at my work flow. I can set up the m7 for my drum room and dial it in perfectly and save it as a template to do the rest of the songs the band is doing. But when it comes to guitars, vocals etc I cannot set this up initially. it just changes and the song moves forward. This is where I want a m10 remote and to just use the remote and not the plugin during tracking. But the m10 remote does not function with the EA control plugin. All it does is shows what you set on the EA control plugin. So, most of the time the m10 just becomes an expensive paper weight for me. Will this be something that will be added to the v3 upgrade? Not that I want to spend $1000+ on the upgrade as I have found myself liking the V1 stuff the best. Is this a topic of discussion with you guys at Bricasti? If so will this be implemented in a v2.1 upgrade or similar so users who want a feature like this but do not need the full v3 can take advantage of this? From what I understand the M7 does not output midi data when you change something on the m10 remote or faceplate of a m7 so the plugin does not see anything at all for these type of changes.
Old 18th February 2018
  #197
Lives for gear
 
Casey's Avatar
 

Thanks for that. I understand your need. I just assumed that folks would either buy the plugin OR the remote. I didn’t realize the use case for both early on. I do see that a lot now though. I will talk with EA to determine if it is technically possible to do what you need. It does seem quite reasonable to put this in V3. Unfortunately, V2 is locked down. I think there is about 7 bytes of unused space in the existing V2 chips. Besides, I’m pretty sure you will want V3 when you hear it.

For now, you can always send a snapshot of the current M7 settings to the EA M7 Control plugin by pressing and holding the edit key for a second. This will allow you to save edits made on the M7 or M10 into your DAW session.



-Casey
Old 18th February 2018
  #198
Gear Maniac
 
arsmusic's Avatar
Thanks for answering. I do not currently have the M10 remote. I also have the faceless version and it is in my machine room so I cannot currently hit the edit button and see if it works. I was thinking about getting a m10 than thought about the potential conflict. Since I want another M7 I may wait until v3 is out then buy a system one and get the remote at a discount. The other thing that would solve the problem (not 100% but make it easier) was if there was a standalone EA control plugin. Then you could change the M7 as needed and move from project to project keeping the m7 the same but still be able to edit it as needed. Thought this would be a question for EA and not Bricasti.
Old 21st February 2018
  #199
Gear Head
 
coso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
the President of Bricasti was telling me that v2 was more of a fake space upgrade maybe more like Lexicon or similar. V1 was meant to be real and sound like you were there.
Can anyone - Casey? - elaborate on this stylistic distinction between V1 and V2?

I had assumed the V2 algorithm was intended to be an improvement over V1 - more detailed etc.

Old 21st February 2018
  #200
Lives for gear
 
DrSax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso View Post
Can anyone - Casey? - elaborate on this stylistic distinction between V1 and V2?

I had assumed the V2 algorithm was intended to be an improvement over V1 - more detailed etc.

For anyone who has owned or followed the M7 from its inception, V1 & V2 are not better or worse, but they are different. The focus of V1 was natural sounding spaces, and V2 added more variety, modulation, etc... Casey wanted to offer users more variety and options... not just more of the same.
Old 21st February 2018
  #201
Lives for gear
Whatever is coming down the pike, I'll sure be looking forward to it.
Old 21st February 2018
  #202
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

BTW does everyone have Michaels M7 Control plugin? I still speak with quite a few M7 users that are not aware of it. Go get it! And yes it does work great on the M7M as well. I want to make sure that he is motivated to do followups for the new stuff!

Bricasti M7 Control — Exponential Audio - Reverb & Effects Plug-ins



-Casey
I LOVE Michael's M7 Control plugin and can't imagine using my Bricasti without it. The only problem I have with it is when my Mac keeps re-numbering the USB ports, so one day the Bricasti is on "Port 1" and other days it's on "Midi interface 2: Port 1" .. But it's a simple fix and probably more my fault than Michael's.

His Exponential Audio reverbs are fab too. Not Bricasti-level fab of course.... But damn useful.

Still, I wonder if there are still any Kurzweil guys in the Bricasti camp? (I'd heard there were, originally). I still use my KSP8 regularly and there are some gorgeous sounding verb presets on there that I wish my Bricasti had. THings like the 'bloom plates' or 'gunshot verb'. It's my 'poor man's 480'....
Old 8th March 2018
  #203
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I can only say that they are in active development and they are both over a year away. So nothing is imminent.

BTW does everyone have Michaels M7 Control plugin? I still speak with quite a few M7 users that are not aware of it. Go get it! And yes it does work great on the M7M as well. I want to make sure that he is motivated to do followups for the new stuff!

-Casey
Thanks for the update Casey on v3!! And yes I have/use the M7 Control plug-in (awesome) for MacOs High Sierra! The plug-in is a must have in my book. Surprised to hear users aren't aware about however it might help if you put a reference/note/link on the Bricasti website about to EA???
Old 11th March 2018
  #204
Here for the gear
Casey, for V3....Please , please , please can you implement the ability to not have to have the Enter key confirm the digital or analog input mode - it will will help owners / new purchasers of the M7M and the EA plugin as the the analog/digital state will not be forgotton when powered down and users will not have to keep changing the setting back to Digital within the plugin every time
Old 10th May 2018
  #205
Gear Addict
 
eugtone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhopkins View Post
Slate Verbsuite....Very good, but I know Steven is a user.....so why create a set of Reverbs for the Verbsuite....when we all know, it won't sound like an M7.....
Have you A/Bed the two, though? I got an M7 V2 last night and gave it a quick spin. I'm a bit bummed to admit that Verbsuite is very impressive. I can barely tell the difference so far. In fact, except for the plates, I found they almost null in a very interesting way. Basically I hear a quiet copy of the direct signal panning around randomly when I subtract the two verbs with a bit of quiet fizzle behind that. Verbsuite does not nail the Reverb 4000, though.

Not blown away like I was getting a Pro R3 and a PCM70. Looking forward to discovering the M7 magic... any tips?
Old 10th May 2018
  #206
Gear Addict
 
eugtone's Avatar
M7 vs VerbSuite differences

Since GS is all too full of unfounded claims, here is what I mean...

Audio comparison attached.
One of these is M7 V2 thru MOTU I/O (AD/DA), the other Verbsuite. Clear Hall preset untouched. Verb only.

null.wav is the difference of the two. Shocked the difference is so pure. I get that there should be a random autopan in the difference - you expect that unless the M7 was a pure linear convolution, but I would have expected MORE than that. Is one of these WAY better sounding than the other?
Attached Files

A.wav (1.73 MB, 1987 views)

B.wav (1.73 MB, 2011 views)

null.wav (1.73 MB, 2021 views)

Old 10th May 2018
  #207
Gear Maniac
 
Rythm'BackStudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugtone View Post
Since GS is all too full of unfounded claims, here is what I mean...

Audio comparison attached.
One of these is M7 V2 thru MOTU I/O (AD/DA), the other Verbsuite. Clear Hall preset untouched. Verb only.

null.wav is the difference of the two. Shocked the difference is so pure. I get that there should be a random autopan in the difference - you expect that unless the M7 was a pure linear convolution, but I would have expected MORE than that. Is one of these WAY better sounding than the other?
Def. like B best
Old 10th May 2018
  #208
Lives for gear
 
DrSax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugtone View Post
Have you A/Bed the two, though? I got an M7 V2 last night and gave it a quick spin. I'm a bit bummed to admit that Verbsuite is very impressive. I can barely tell the difference so far. In fact, except for the plates, I found they almost null in a very interesting way. Basically I hear a quiet copy of the direct signal panning around randomly when I subtract the two verbs with a bit of quiet fizzle behind that. Verbsuite does not nail the Reverb 4000, though.

Not blown away like I was getting a Pro R3 and a PCM70. Looking forward to discovering the M7 magic... any tips?
Best tip I can give you is to try different settings and reference it in the context of a mix on multiple parts. Soloing verbs doesn’t let you hear how things sit in a mix. The Bricasti creates space in a mix unlike any reverb I’ve ever used. It’s not an overtly colored swishy verb like Lexicon, but rather it creates spaces that bring mixes to life. It may not seem obvious at first but when you mix with it and then take it away and try to replicate it with other verbs it’s becomes very apparent that nothing does what the Bricasti does. With that said, it’s still reverb and reverb is just one of many tools in a mix.

Personally I hear quite a different in those two verbs and the null doesn’t come close to cancelling. Two different tools.

Try the Bricasti on an acoustic drum kit, or a voice, guitar, or other acoustic source. It’s a beautiful thing!
Old 10th May 2018
  #209
Gear Addict
 
eugtone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Best tip I can give you is to try different settings and reference it in the context of a mix on multiple parts. Soloing verbs doesn’t let you hear how things sit in a mix.

Try the Bricasti on an acoustic drum kit, or a voice, guitar, or other acoustic source. It’s a beautiful thing!
Will do, of course. I was just initially shocked that I wasn't hit in the face like other gear that people rave about. I got a UBK Fatso last week and instantly had an OMG experience. Best gear I've ever bought.

On a technical level, I'm still puzzled how the majority of the energy in the reverberation can cancel and that the majority of what is left sounds like a random autopan of the input. Is that all there is to the secret of Liquidsonics convolution? Convolution + quiet random autopan? Or did Slate just decide to sneak that into Verbsuite so that in comparisons verbsuite will feel more alive? None of those are bad choices, because both sound like good reverbs to me, but I'm just curious. As I said before, the Plates don't cancel AT ALL, which is what I expected for all the reverbs. So I'm also curious how they are different from the other algorithms.
Old 10th May 2018
  #210
Gear Addict
 

In my setup, B has richer harmonics and more potent bass.

Not subtle to my setup.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump