The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bricasti M7 - version 3.0
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

I talked the Bricasti folks (not Casey) at the 2018 NY NAMM, and I wouldn't hold my breath on V3.

I was on my way out of the exhibition hall at the end of the show and quickly asked about an update on V3, and their reply was "What more do you want from your M7 that you don't already have?"

I didn't have an answer at the time, because I think everyone just has a built-in desire for the unknown, or "closed hand," so-to-speak, and it's almost impossible to say what you want if you don't know what is possible. I have no idea what is possible in the world of complex algorithmic reverb, but I am certainly curious and interested!

If I was asked again now, I think the only thing I could specify would be settings/models of specific studios that don't already exist in the unit, like and Abbey Road Studio Two, Smart, or Ocean Way. That said, they may exist in the unit already and I just don't know what they're called!
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

They have shared that the code is written BUT, it was written with an expectation of specific processor capabilities that have not yet been created.

The issue is that there are no feasible processors which can run the code and no need to slightly improve on what is Ver 2, preferring to deliver the capabilities of 3 when a processor array catches up.

I suppose it is a terrible ordeal to have created a masterpiece one cannot unveil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 View Post
I talked the Bricasti folks (not Casey) at the 2018 NY NAMM, and I wouldn't hold my breath on V3.

I was on my way out of the exhibition hall at the end of the show and quickly asked about an update on V3, and their reply was "What more do you want from your M7 that you don't already have?"

I didn't have an answer at the time, because I think everyone just has a built-in desire for the unknown, or "closed hand," so-to-speak, and it's almost impossible to say what you want if you don't know what is possible. I have no idea what is possible in the world of complex algorithmic reverb, but I am certainly curious and interested!

If I was asked again now, I think the only thing I could specify would be settings/models of specific studios that don't already exist in the unit, like and Abbey Road Studio Two, Smart, or Ocean Way. That said, they may exist in the unit already and I just don't know what they're called!
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

Was there any indication about what was being offered/changed/added in V3? I was following this thread but checked out a year or so ago.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure which thread but there was high level information.

I kept a few notes:

“Bricasti have announced the v3 (at least a year away), a "for cost hardware* upgrade" which will include a DSP upgrade said to have "15x the computing resource of a 3 ghz I7 processor".

Bricasti have said all along that they will keep the M7 supported and technically up-to-date for 20yrs. Seems they are sticking to it. Impressive.”

“What a long slow trip it has been.

V3 has two levels of service initially. The first item will be the M200.

We will have this for the next AES. It is old school rock and roll in every sense. Analog only. Crazy analog processing including full RMS compression leading to soft saturation then on to hard clipping. Low frequency harmonics before compression from class A fet based circuit. Front panel input/mix/output sets the gain staging for clean to crunch. Zero latency dry path. Analog Abbey Road filter at the push of a button on any preset.

An eight voice varispeed section using old 16 bit SAR ADCs with arbitrary clock gen on each one.

Independent V3 reverb and Delay settings on chunky red old school 7 segment displays.

Three channels of IO including independent mono out for creative use or driving mono arrays at the back of a live setup with stereos up front. Independent mono in can be used along with stereo ins or stand alone and can drive all three outs or just the mono out for an over the top mono reverb or as an insert to your Mesa Boogie amp.

The V3 algorithm will light up the M200 in new ways that will shape new uses of the effect.

But, the real incarnation of V3 will come in the form of the M7 upgrade board. It will be after the M200 because we are tailoring a huge FPGA to work with a SHARC array that will just end the need for new reverbs in my life time. Can't even begin to describe the sonics that will be available. Suffice to say I don't imagine even seeing the bar this will set.

So, the M200 by next US AES, The M7 upgrade just after that by 3 to 6 months

The plan is that the M7 upgrade will be a user installable DSP board replacement that will be for cost. We will raise the price of the V3 M7s to match the cost of today's M7 plus the cost of the upgrade, so that all of our customers who have made us are financially protected.”

Quote:
Was there any indication about what was being offered/changed/added in V3? I was following this thread but checked out a year or so ago.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

Great info summary, thanks!
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear
so we have no idea of ​​the "energy" requested for the code and when such a processor could come out.
for an idea of ​​time
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

The “energy” expected for the code was already stated:
“15x the computing resource of a 3 ghz I7 processor"

“The computational requirements of the new algorithm are astounding. I finished the design 6 years ago. Since then the usual compute resource growth has just not materialized. I know Intel has done some new things but nowhere near enough.

FPGA is where the available compute resource has really advanced. Actually what is available is breathtaking. It is getting a big push from AI developers that need the available flexibility.

Realizing this we hired a consultant to move my design into FPGA land. It didn’t work out. So I am doing it myself. I used to do graphic chip design at HP so... well it’s as close to the metal as it gets and is slow going. But of course it is going.

So my answer stays the same. V3 is well over a year away. I can’t wait to hear it!”

“I was lucky to find the Blackfin we used in the M7.

It is still better 10 years on than the best Sharc available today for what is needed by the M7 algorithm.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by filteron View Post
so we have no idea of ​​the "energy" requested for the code and when such a processor could come out.
for an idea of ​​time

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 31st May 2019 at 01:39 AM..
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Head

Great news and FPGA’s are starting to show up everywhere.
I’ve got a Hammond B3 Clone Module that’s fantastic.
Tube Overdrive and 122 Leslie are so close. Truly impressive.

Good Luck and thanks for the pursuit of happiness.
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Maniac

First it’s a science, then it’s a tools and means, and then it’s a product. All takes time.
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi there!

This is my very first post on the forum. It might be answered somewhere already, but after searching for quite a while I now try it this way.

Today my M7 arrived - after literally years where I had it high up on my wishlist. It was sold to me coming along with the Exponential Audio "M7 Control" plugin. All went fine, got the iLok license and an installer (3.0.1). But then I couldn't find it in PT, whatever I did. Finally it turned out, that this version of the plugin is 64bit only, but since for the moment I have to stay on PT 10.3.10 it's not compatible.

So if by any chance anybody could send me the latest Mac-installer for the plugin, that was still 32bit, it would be so amazing! It feels horrible having this dream-unit finally sitting here, but not being able to do much more with it than stare at it.

Thanks for any help, will be muchly appreciated! Pm if you need my mail-address.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

I’m not sure if any of the versions were ever 32 bit. Maybe someone else here will remember
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I’m not sure if any of the versions were ever 32 bit. Maybe someone else here will remember
Thanks for your answer drBill! Well, I am pretty sure there is. There are older announcements of the app, that clearly state "32/64bit". Unfortunately there is no version number mentioned.

Of course it would be desirable to get the latest version which was still 32bit compatible. I must say that I'm starting to get a little bugged by the fact that it becomes more and more often that you need an older version of a plugin and you just can't get it anywhere. Although this is a little special case as Exponential Audio got taken over by Izotope. But nevertheless it shouldn't be a problem for customers to get the version they need.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmaker View Post
Thanks for your answer drBill! Well, I am pretty sure there is. There are older announcements of the app, that clearly state "32/64bit". Unfortunately there is no version number mentioned.

Of course it would be desirable to get the latest version which was still 32bit compatible. I must say that I'm starting to get a little bugged by the fact that it becomes more and more often that you need an older version of a plugin and you just can't get it anywhere. Although this is a little special case as Exponential Audio got taken over by Izotope. But nevertheless it shouldn't be a problem for customers to get the version they need.
The nature of the beast. Planned / Implemented obsolescence. It will always be with us - led primarily by the major OS's, and followed in quick pursuit by the Developers. Unavoidable unless you freeze your system in time. Which most people just can't bear to do.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

i feel sorry for those who came late to the party of controlling hardware via software: the control software for my quantec xl from 1987 and also the efx device itself still work. software runs on an old dos machine; some tech geek even got it running on win7 (or maybe win8, i haven't been checking). i don't feel the slightest need of upgrading* which imo mostly means putting a working system at risk...

* well i did: qrs, xl, yardstick, 2496
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi there!

This is my very first post on the forum. It might be answered somewhere already, but after searching for quite a while I now try it this way.

Today my M7 arrived - after literally years where I had it high up on my wishlist. It was sold to me coming along with the Exponential Audio "M7 Control" plugin. All went fine, got the iLok license and an installer (3.0.1). But then I couldn't find it in PT, whatever I did. Finally it turned out, that this version of the plugin is 64bit only, but since for the moment I have to stay on PT 10.3.10 it's not compatible.

So if by any chance anybody could send me the latest Mac-installer for the plugin, that was still 32bit, it would be so amazing! It feels horrible having this dream-unit finally sitting here, but not being able to do much more with it than stare at it.

Thanks for any help, will be muchly appreciated! Pm if you need my mail-address.
Nobody, really?! Come on Gearslutz, you can do better than that!

EDIT: And I was right! Got the installers needed yesterday sent from someone here on GL. Now everything works like a charm, needless to say that I'm super happy - especially on how it sounds!

As for the last post concerning the Yardstick, etc: this kind of answers just clutter the forum and are no help to anybody I think. So please stay constructive if you can.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:

I built my own Abbey Road preset using one of the rooms, here are the room dimensions I found:

Abbey Road Studio 2 Dimensions

Height: 24ft/7.31m
Width: 38ft 3in/11.65m
Length: 60ft 2in/18.35m
Floor area: 2131sq ft/198sq m
Reverberation Time: 1.2 sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I also don't every remember there ever being a 32bit of the controller plugin. If you don't want to give up your 32bit DAW perhaps get another that's 64bit and use that to make some patches, then save them via the favorite buttons. Apologies if you have the 7-M version and this isn’t possible. If it helps put your mind at ease once I have mine set it stays parked there, usually as the general room sound for the entire song. Other verbs get called for individual duties.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Of course you can always flip through M7 presets using any midi controller using midi program changes. You can even save that preset with your session by pressing the M7 “prog” button for 2 seconds and recording the midi output on a track in the session.

-Casey
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Tomorrow.

dB
Reverb Foundry
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
[B]As for the last post concerning the Yardstick, etc: this kind of answers just clutter the forum and are no help to anybody I think. So please stay constructive if you can.
my comment hopefully/obviously could illustrate that other manufacturers have come up with solutions which have been working for dozens of years and are not plagued by issues as exprienced by owners of more modern efx devices... - and maybe, it puts just a little bit of pressure on the manufacturers to fix those issues/fulfill their promises?

choose your gear wisely!
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
You can even save that preset with your session by pressing the M7 “prog” button for 2 seconds and recording the midi output on a track in the session.
I think there's an issue with mine. Every time I hold the "prog" button for two seconds, my Bricasti spits out some synth lead noodling in 7/4.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleLab View Post
I sold my M7 last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
You sound like one of the guys who never had a M7 and just love to tell fairy tales in the pro-sections of audio-forums.
Tonight on The History Channel...On one side is a man that a modulated reverb moved everything but him. On the other, a man who's so obsessed, that a photo of the reverb with his name in the display is his actual profile photo.

From the people who brought you Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars. Tonight is...

BRICASTI BATTLE: FANBOIS VS. THE NON BELIEVERS.

Their screams will echo for at least 28 seconds...
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Tonight on The History Channel...On one side is a man that a modulated reverb moved everything but him. On the other, a man who's so obsessed, that a photo of the reverb with his name in the display is his actual profile photo.

After using my Bricasti last night on a string orchestra, I’m in the corner with the fanboy.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
synth lead noodling in 7/4.
Haha! Booked. Future easter egg. Brilliant!

-Casey
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Tomorrow.

dB
Reverb Foundry
Ta-da moment tomorrow? Great!

Viva to new king
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
After using my Bricasti last night on a string orchestra, I’m in the corner with the fanboy.
I'm neither a fanboy or a hater. I prefer to follow the route instead of knowing my tools well enough that I know when certain tools should take center stage and others take an auxiliary role. Sometimes it's the Bricasti on center stage, other times it's not.

I did a really hot pop mix for a girl with huge guitars and synths and in that case, the more colorful reverbs from my Lex 300s and my 2016 were more appropriate for the big moments and the vocals. The Bricasti helped out in more subdued roles.

I also did a 60s style mix for another girl where we were going for a live recorded feel and in that case all I needed for the mix was a real spring reverb on her voice, which was magic, and the Bricasti as a stand in for the live room. The studio I did that mix out of had a great compliment of all kinds of plug ins and hardware and nothing except the Bricasti was able to give the live room a sense of dimension and the illusion that it was tracked in that space.

Again, it's about knowing your tools, not being a fanboy or a hater. The Bricasti, like a lot of my other hardware, has earned its place and paid for itself many times over and is worth what it costs.

As far as v3 goes, it's exciting to think, that even at the cost of the added expense of a new circuit board, that there might be additional functionality added to my M7 but nonetheless whether it materializes or not, I bought the machine based on what it can do and in that respect it has never let me down and so I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Here's a fun tip - for me the Bricasti has such clean, clear, and uncolored reverbs that it's excellent for mixing with colored reverb in multiple reverb setups without adding to the color so that it becomes too much. Sometimes I'll use a really short, dense, and colorful verb from the 300 or even a PCM 81 for the early reflections on a vocal and then use a really clear and open Bricasti verb for the tail. Then the bricasti picks up the color from the Lex and carries it to the tail but in a clear and open way so that the color doesn't get too dense or overpowering but dissipates in a beautiful manner. That's something that might be hard for me to get with just the Lexicon, as the verb will continue to generate color and then the tail gets too dense or colored for what I need it for.

So I use the Lexicon for the initial density and burst of color and then let the Bricasti carry that color into the tail and let it bloom and dissipate. Much like putting a drop of food coloring into a glass of water.

If you know your tools, you're able to be creative with them.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:

That was funny Ionian. Thanks for that :-)
For the sake of peace here’s the reverb listing (sold)
http://https://reverb.com/it/item/23710343-bricasti-design-m7-reverb
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

*slowclap
Attached Thumbnails
Bricasti M7 - version 3.0-img_20190612_131445.jpg  
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

REVERB FOUNDRY releases Bricasti M7 Controller Plug-In

London, England
Software company Reverb Foundry is pleased to announce the release of M7 Link, a comprehensive and powerful plug-in capable of complete control via MIDI of Bricasti’s legendary M7 and M7M hardware stereo reverb processors, allowing management of settings and presets from within any DAW.

In addition to dedicated controls for every function provided by the hardware units, new features have also been added including Parameter Locks, Tempo Sync for Pre-delay and Delay Time as well as graphic representation of Decay Rate and Rolloff EQs. Extensive library functions are also provided for preset management, including an A/B register feature for quickly auditioning and comparing presets. M7 Link also supports hardware identification via MIDI for multi-device systems.

“Earlier this year when it became clear that the M7 needed an updated control plugin, my first call was to Reverb Foundry”, said Casey Dowdell from Bricasti. “Matthew Hill and David Bryce have the ideal competence to develop and release a ‘best in class’ solution that has already delighted the beta testers who have reached out to me.”

M7 Link is available now for $199 in AU, VST 2.4, VST3 and AAX formats on Mac and PC.

www.reverbfoundry.com/m7-link

dB
Reverb Foundry
Attached Thumbnails
Bricasti M7 - version 3.0-m7-link-main-d.jpg  
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
*slowclap
Lol this is amazing. I don't know about anyone else but the fact that you just spent time typing out my screen name one letter at a time into your bricasti just made my day.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

REVERB FOUNDRY releases Bricasti M7 Controller Plug-In

London, England
Software company Reverb Foundry is pleased to announce the release of M7 Link, a comprehensive and powerful plug-in capable of complete control via MIDI of Bricasti’s legendary M7 and M7M hardware stereo reverb processors, allowing management of settings and presets from within any DAW.

In addition to dedicated controls for every function provided by the hardware units, new features have also been added including Parameter Locks, Tempo Sync for Pre-delay and Delay Time as well as graphic representation of Decay Rate and Rolloff EQs. Extensive library functions are also provided for preset management, including an A/B register feature for quickly auditioning and comparing presets. M7 Link also supports hardware identification via MIDI for multi-device systems.

“Earlier this year when it became clear that the M7 needed an updated control plugin, my first call was to Reverb Foundry”, said Casey Dowdell from Bricasti. “Matthew Hill and David Bryce have the ideal competence to develop and release a ‘best in class’ solution that has already delighted the beta testers who have reached out to me.”

M7 Link is available now for $199 in AU, VST 2.4, VST3 and AAX formats on Mac and PC.

www.reverbfoundry.com/m7-link

dB
Reverb Foundry
Congrats, brother. This thing looks sharp as hell!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search