The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creative compressor recommendations? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Creative compressor recommendations?

I want to add another compressor to my studio setup and look for any recommendations.

Use case: creation and shaping of sounds for movie trailers

I own these comps already: Rockrüpel, Phanzen, UBK Fatso, Retro 176 and several pre amps and Culture Vulture that I use for compression as well.

Any recommendations which nice other comp to add?

I think about the Also Dynax 2 or the Zener Limiter, anybody who uses these products in a creative sound shaping way?

Looking forward to your posts!

Cheers!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

anamod 670 which is a fairchild clone has a great sound and gives me some good creative options
Old 2nd March 2014
Yes I use a Dynax 2 and also an Mpressor and both are great for manipulating sounds. They are more versatile than a Zener if it's mangling / shaping you're after….
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
anamod 670 which is a fairchild clone has a great sound and gives me some good creative options
Thanks for the advice!

Do you have any creative audio examples of using the the 670 or know about videos that show the creative use case?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yes I use a Dynax 2 and also an Mpressor and both are great for manipulating sounds. They are more versatile than a Zener if it's mangling / shaping you're after….
Thanks for your feedback!

Did you compare the Dynax 2 and the Zener directly?

Do you know about any videos or online audio examles that show the Zener and Dynax 2?
Old 2nd March 2014
No but I had a Zener on trial for a while and wasn't sold on it. It has a cool, darkness to it but I have lots of dark/thick flavours. The Dynax 2 and the Mpressor were better suited for what I wanted (negative compression on drums etc.) I also ended up getting the Thermionic Phoenix ME rather than the Zener.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
No but I had a Zener on trial for a while and wasn't sold on it. It has a cool, darkness to it but I have lots of dark/thick flavours. The Dynax 2 and the Mpressor were better suited for what I wanted (negative compression on drums etc.) I also ended up getting the Thermionic Phoenix ME rather than the Zener.
Makes all sense for me.

Which other gear with dark/thick flavour do you recommend?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

UBK-1?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
UBK-1?
I have the UBK-1 already - really nice software!

Please only recommend hardware as I have all relevant software tools already.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

BTW: I'm selling my mixer, have a look if interested:

Toft ATB-24 in great condition with meter bridge/stand
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Anybody using Distressors as creative compressors?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Try software compressors like Waves API 2500, Softube CL1B and Elysia mpressor and if you like them try/buy the hw version. All of these are very capable in molding sounds quite drastically if that's what you need.
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidChild View Post
I have the UBK-1 already - really nice software!

Please only recommend hardware as I have all relevant software tools already.
Umm, the distressor 'software' racked in the 1U 19" box has been used creatively for the last 15 years or so.
Old 2nd March 2014
Hi,
You already have some great compressors...

for sound shaping I would check out the Moog ladder filter, Elysia nvelope and Transient Designer...we love them here. They are all great creative sound shaping tools beyond compression and also work in conjunction with compression.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Shmc
Eventide omnipressor
Spectra sonics 610
Smart c2
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
Try software compressors like Waves API 2500, Softube CL1B and Elysia mpressor and if you like them try/buy the hw version. All of these are very capable in molding sounds quite drastically you that's what you need.
I'll try these software comps, thanks!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
Hi,
You already have some great compressors...

for sound shaping I would check out the Moog ladder filter, Elysia nvelope and Transient Designer...we love them here. They are all great creative sound shaping tools beyond compression and also work in conjunction with compression.
I already own the nvelope, great tool!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Shmc
Eventide omnipressor
Spectra sonics 610
Smart c2
Thanks, I will also check out these comps.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Dynamite and MXR Microlimiter. Anything made in 1972 by a guy in Kansas for his ham radio is worth a look, especially when it goes for $20 on eBay.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidChild View Post
I want to add another compressor to my studio setup and look for any recommendations.

Use case: creation and shaping of sounds for movie trailers

I own these comps already: Rockrüpel, Phanzen, UBK Fatso, Retro 176 and several pre amps and Culture Vulture that I use for compression as well.

Any recommendations which nice other comp to add?

I think about the Also Dynax 2 or the Zener Limiter, anybody who uses these products in a creative sound shaping way?

Looking forward to your posts!

Cheers!
I own the Zener Limiter, I love it! I'm playing with the Germanium Compressor and have to say it's pretty awesome; quite the tweaker's dream with all the knee variations + the wet/dry feature is handy too.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

anything from elysia is creative like mpressor xpressor or even nvelope
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

i believe the distressor is a must have compressor, it can do a lot of mangling! the elysia mpressor comes to mind immediately if you´re looking for crazy compression, beats the distressor there imo, it doesn´t offer the distortion option though, it´s got more or less "it´s" sound i think. but what it does when compressing is radical!
other then that, lot´s of options: tg-1 (not so versatile), compex, 1176, td, dynamite…….
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac
+1 Dynamite it's a little bit noisy, but if you're looking for shaping and exploding this is it

I don't know the Zener but i have a TG1. It is fantastic, especially for the things you are lokking for. And it would add a different flvour to the great comps you already have.
Demo one if you can.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all your feedback, I will first of all do some internet research on several of your recommendations and hope to find audio examples / videos online.

Any link would help!

Cheers!
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

wait, you want a hardware compressor for film sound design?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderShepherd View Post
wait, you want a hardware compressor for film sound design?
for movie trailer sound development
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

any other recommendations?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Gates Solidstatesman

Overstayer VCA can do some wacky stuff, radically change the sound
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

more ideas??
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I own several Distressors, several different Focusrite, SSL, DBX, BSS, Chandler Germanium, etc....

Nothing I own can touch the Chandler Germanium for different tones. With the Chandler Germs you get your choice of different types of compression circuits (Germanium, Silicon, Zener etc) a mix control for parallel processing, a selectable HPF sidechain, the choice of how much Germanium Drive you want to push into your output etc...

I use the 2 Germaniums that I have on mostly instruments and pretty much never on vocals as I have others that work better for voices. I really think there is no more versatile tone shaper out there whose main job is compression.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search