The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Buss eq Settings Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Buss eq Settings

Greetings fellow Mixing comrades,

I would love to see some examples of what kind of 2 buss EQ settings some of you guys are using(if any) on your final mixes and what EQ's you are using.
The more specific the better

Mostly interested in Modern Rock examples

Thank you guys
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

My settings are basic and similar to most engs I know. Boost at 10k shelf and some boost on the low end usually 56hrz since that's what I have on the Great River MAQ 2NV. I mix into the eq and 2 buss compressor from the start. I may do a tight cut somewhere in the low mids if needed depending on the material. Usually it's just top and bottom. Of course one size won't fit all so at the end use your ears. I'll change the settings if I don't like the results.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
My settings are basic and similar to most engs I know. Boost at 10k shelf and some boost on the low end usually 56hrz since that's what I have on the Great River MAQ 2NV. I mix into the eq and 2 buss compressor from the start. I may do a tight cut somewhere in the low mids if needed depending on the material. Usually it's just top and bottom. Of course one size won't fit all so at the end use your ears. I'll change the settings if I don't like the results.
How much 10k do you find you are boosting most of the time?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Usually start at either .5 or 1 db may end up at 1 or 1.5db. Seldom go higher but have done 2- 2.5 db on really dark multi trks. What I like about 2 buss eq, used correctly it's that little spit and polish over the mix that seems to just make everything make sense. For me mixes come together really quick when I have that in place. Most of the time I also like the eq pre comp. The C2 is my 2 buss comp and I love the way the hi end boost sounds into the compressor. I'm not looking for tons of boost, it's almost euphoric the way it comes out. I use a hi pass into the s/c so the low boost doesn't hit the compressor. With that said I have also used the eq post comp. Just depends on what's working for the track. Mess with it and print tons of ruffs and compare.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Whatever is sucked in by the desk or the comp boost it with the eq so things stay flat. I use a pair of mastering pultecs and mainly for pultec transformer and tube sound
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Or use the gear on the 2buss to make the mix sound even better.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

+1-2db at 10KHz
-1db at 500Hz
+1db at 50Hz
Old 1st March 2014
If I end up using mix buss eq, it's usually a db or two at 10 or 12k from a Retro 2a3 or Manley Pultec. Sometimes I'll add a little low end, but not often.

I actually tend to do group eqs on subgroups; I prefer the level of control. The Manley Pultec is almost always on my drum buss, for example, adding some air back in after the submix compression.

I'm also fond of the Kush Clariophonic, but I don't know the db or frequency values so I can't really specify what I use there.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
+1-2db at 10KHz
-1db at 500Hz
+1db at 50Hz
What EQ are you using?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Funny, I find that eq-ing tracks makes this unnecessary. I guess that's just me, though.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
I have a pair of Chandler LTD1s on my mixbuss at the moment.
more for tone than anything.
I have a 1 db boost at 110,2k,12k.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

i find that a little bit of low end boost really helps kick and bass stick together. i've been using manley massive passive with pretty good results although i can hear how some people say it's not super duper tight as when you really push it or you want a tighter sounding thing it still works but it's like you feel it could be better. i just got two stereo eqs but have yet to try them, i will in the next few days. kush electra and api 5500. i'm hoping one of them will have a nice low end boost to compliment the warmth and fuzz of the manley with something more solid and punchy.

when using like api plug in on a mix it soudns real nice with a bell boost at like 50hz or finding where the kick and bass boosted together kind of gel and "sing"

in combination with compression it could be nice..

for guys who have a stereo buss compressor with a side chain insert and a hybrid setup, how do you set up your side chain?? i have an ssl buss comp and want to experiment with side chain. signal flow is daw -> symphony da -> analog 2bus processing -> ad symphony -> back to same session as stereo file…

how would that work?
Old 2nd March 2014
AB3
Lives for gear

Try to find a tonelux equalux. You will be happy. Beefier bass - A Designs Em2eq. Sugary sweet highs - a designs hammer or crane song ibis.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Try to find a tonelux equalux. You will be happy. Beefier bass - A Designs Em2eq. Sugary sweet highs - a designs hammer or crane song ibis.
i don't get it which one are you indicating as which tonelux has beefy bass? the a designs? both?

i get the highs but the bass was confusing
Old 2nd March 2014
AB3
Lives for gear

tonelux has tight bass imho and really nice highs. It is on the clean side but musical. The A designs em2eq has beefier bass and clean highs. I hope this clarified those differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
i don't get it which one are you indicating as which tonelux has beefy bass? the a designs? both?

i get the highs but the bass was confusing
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
What EQ are you using?
A Designs Hammer
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

pumping air and a touch of sub with a low mid scoop, mix into it from the beginning and its almost cheating
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Amarshism, I use the Smart side chain cables. plug your input into the cable and 1 side of the y goes to input the other side with the 150hrz roll off goes to the s/c. Changed the way I use 2 buss compression.
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
+1-2db at 10KHz
-1db at 500Hz
+1db at 50Hz
Similar settings here on my Hammer, although sometimes I'll swap 500 for 800.

For other Hammer users, are you using the low and hi cuts or leaving them off?

..ant
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I've been using the rs56 plugin alot on matter bus and usually doing about
+1 at 11k
-1 at 2 or 4k
+1 at 64
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

3khz 6db/oct shelf slope. boost. at about 2db. increases presence in midrange instruments and voice.
1khz cut at about -3 to remove dullness

bass usally stays flat as I tend to mix bass heavy to begin with.

API 560 or MCI JH500 eq...sometimes a plugin type or hardware type...depending.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Usually 1-1.5 db cut @ 500 , a boost at either 10 or 12 k at about 2 db . No low end boost anymore as I get it right in the individual tracks . I am currently using the massive passive , but the SSL duende X-eq is very good as well . Looking into getting some real HW like the clariphonic or Bettermaker .
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

It depends on the EQ cause they all have difference curves. Boosting 60Hz on a pultec starts at over 1K. API and GML high end is quite different too.
Old 3rd March 2014
Often a little splot of 8kHz band from a Pultec up towards 3-5 on the numbers. Lavly. Also I add a 1kHz shelf occasionally for presence, never more than about 0.8dB. Never usually add bass but I do use a fair amount of RBass or MaxxBass in the mix.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks everybody for the great information,
keep em coming.
How many guys check your left right balances individually per band to make sure equal amounts of the frequency's are being distributed?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I went with the API 5500 because it is stepped and I can't stand EQing in dual mono for 2bus.

I usually do a similar setup, but sometimes not. Usually I open up the top a bit, above 10k. May or may not boost lows, usually not. May or may not cut some low mids. Depends on material, always. Never is left static for all mixes.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Designs Hammer
Same...with the Hammer I'm usually doing a:

1dB boost at 50 (depending on the content)
3dB boost at 1.2k
1-2dB boost at 10k
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anybody getting crazy and EQ'ing/compressing their channels differently?
Old 4th March 2014
the "what eq" is inconsequential.
the "why eq?" is far more important.
moreover "the why the same eq curve on every mix".

i can't think of two consecutive mixes that i used the same eq on the 2buss.
i don't like to use eq on the 2buss. i like the mix to sound correct before it hits the mix buss.
if it doesn't, i did something wrong earlier in the chain.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear
I generally start off with the following on my Hammer: 10K 2+, 800-1.2k -2, 50-100 2+. I use these setting with the high and low pass filters engaged.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search