The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Blue Stripe questions. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th February 2014

1176 Blue Stripe questions.

Ok so after being at Armando's last month and hearing his vintage Blue Stripe 1176 on the vocals I had cut and can't stop thinking about how firkin awesome it sounded. I have no experience owning a Blue Stripe (I believe is rev B maybe?) but I have owned a number of 1176's for years; new, old and Purple. I currently have a UA re-issue and a Urei Rev F. Both I really like. The F I use a lot on vocals, has a nice wet, somewhat bright sheen. The UA is darker and thinker. I really like it on bass. My question is how does a Blue Stripe compare sound and function wise to a rev F? What makes it the vocal 1176? Does anyone make a new version that captures the mojo of the original?

Thanks
James
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

I believe that it reduces gain differently (partially program dependent?), and it uses different line amps.

The only way I know to get a new one is to build one or have one built from MNATS boards.
Old 28th February 2014
Built a Blue stripe Hairball audio 1176 and its killer! dont know if it hangs with the original but i can tell you it definitely sounds different than the REV D black face that Hairball makes, I built 2 of those and had a buddy bring over his current production UA1176 and it was nearly impossible to tell them apart. As soon as HB gets in more REV A kits and I get my studio remodel done, Im going for a stereo pair.. SQUISH!!!
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

There are a couple that I rent down here in SoFlo, James...Honestly, they're all different sounding. I would honestly recommend that you just build or have someone build you a Hairball version so you get consistency and that edge that the blue offers, which for the most part is a bit more noise and more distortion characteristics both in the gain reduction and the tone.

Here are a few links you may want to look at: (sorry if there's stuff you already know - I know you know your ****, James, so I apologize if there's something redundant in here)

Rev A Info and support - [BUILD] 1176 Rev A - Back to the beginning...

Rev F/G Info and support - [BUILD] 1176 Rev F/G - new board, new transformer!

General 1176 Info:

All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

Revision History: (I've read these articles a few times over the years and they're always interesting and a good read)

1176 REVISION HISTORY

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com...176-revisions/

Audio Samples of the Hairball stuff: (this guy is a gearslutz member, his name/handle on here is Subzero and he builds killer 1176's. I asked him at one point how much it would be for him to build me one and his pricing was definitely very nice for a good sounding Hairball Blue Stripe. You may want to reach out and see if he's still willing.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDo1-yauaU

Last edited by Slikjmuzik; 28th February 2014 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Add more...
Old 28th February 2014
I've got 3 here, one of which I've had serviced recently...the others work fine, just a bit crackly.

noise is slightly higher than later versions (hence the "Low Noise" designation on the blackfaces). I think they're a bit more cutting than the later versions - maybe slightly lighter in the low end, but not in a bad way - or maybe it's just that the mids are more forward.

The differences in the CLA76 Blacky/Bluey plugins, whilst I've never A/B'd against the "real" one, give this sort of impression - to me it's audibly more forward sounding, but not really harsh. I find I compress much harder with the Blue Stripe than I do with something like a Distressor (at similar settings) and you don't feel like the singer is pushing against the compression at all.

Just my subjective, non-scientific thoughts!
Old 28th February 2014
Two different kits.

500 series

U76A DIY Raw Kit

Rack mount

Hairball Audio
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yes the waves plugs capture an accurate difference to my ears. That's how I perceive my blue stripe with my Ds
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Yes the waves plugs capture an accurate difference to my ears. That's how I perceive my blue stripe with my Ds
totally agree it your looking for a familiar apple to oranges kinda comparison. but they still sound kinda like turds compared to hardware
I did a rev d vs Waves blacky redux the other day on some drum room mics.
jesus it wasn't even funny how much more natural open bigger the hardware sounded.
Hope the UA new ones are better.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
totally agree it your looking for a familiar apple to oranges kinda comparison. but they still sound kinda like turds compared to hardware
I did a rev d vs Waves blacky redux the other day on some drum room mics.
jesus it wasn't even funny how much more natural open bigger the hardware sounded.
Hope the UA new ones are better.
Eh, this isn't a thread about plugins. They do a job...I use a mixture. I don't have a way to stereo link mine, and I'm sure plugins track more accurately!

It was just an illustration of the differences.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Currently about to build a rev a from scratch

Anyone got hires fotos of the interior top and bottom of the board? What besides transformers in and out would you think in parts is responsible for the sound?
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Eh, this isn't a thread about plugins. They do a job...I use a mixture. I don't have a way to stereo link mine, and I'm sure plugins track more accurately!

It was just an illustration of the differences.
I know I use a mixture too.I'm just being a little snarky
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I would say, if you have the funds and are a working professional just buy the original. It's like buying any other high end vintage piece, your not actually spending any money - just putting it somewhere for the time being to generate funds while retaining it's value. I've found in the past that owning such high end items like vintage Neve desks, Pultec's, UA 1176's, LA2A's have made their money back many times over from getting top results and work - basically no brainers..
Old 1st March 2014
Blue Stripe definitely has a certain "hair" to it that works great on vocals. A kind of fuzzy distortion in the upper mids that works great for making a vocal poke through and sound exciting. It also seems to compress harder and (to my ears, at least) a bit more aggressively, but again, in a way that works well on vocals.

And I second the notion about the Waves plug giving a pretty good illustration of what the differences are, but, of course, my Pro Engineer Guy™ license requires me to mention that the plugs don't sound nearly as good the hardware.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Blue Stripe definitely has a certain "hair" to it that works great on vocals. A kind of fuzzy distortion in the upper mids that works great for making a vocal poke through and sound exciting.
I think there's some tight muscular chewiness going on in the low mids too. It sounds "blue" somehow.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

the original jfets in the original circuit. good luck trying to find the jfets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Currently about to build a rev a from scratch

Anyone got hires fotos of the interior top and bottom of the board? What besides transformers in and out would you think in parts is responsible for the sound?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Check out the serpent audio splice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
Ok so after being at Armando's last month and hearing his vintage Blue Stripe 1176 on the vocals I had cut and can't stop thinking about how firkin awesome it sounded. I have no experience owning a Blue Stripe (I believe is rev B maybe?) but I have owned a number of 1176's for years; new, old and Purple. I currently have a UA re-issue and a Urei Rev F. Both I really like. The F I use a lot on vocals, has a nice wet, somewhat bright sheen. The UA is darker and thinker. I really like it on bass. My question is how does a Blue Stripe compare sound and function wise to a rev F? What makes it the vocal 1176? Does anyone make a new version that captures the mojo of the original?

Thanks
James
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carival View Post
the original jfets in the original circuit. good luck trying to find the jfets.
got a list of original materials? I’m pretty good a finding stuff
Old 2nd March 2014
I have two Rev A clones. Before them I'd used the latest UA 1176LN and the Waves plugs. My go to for vox was always the blackface waves plug, cause I found the blueface too harsh, and made sibilance a bit of a nuisance. But when I got my Rev A's I wired them in and set the as I would for vox and they are incredible. They have the depth of any other 1176, and while they get gritty, it's all totally usable on vocals. I dig it more than any other comp I have right now by far
Old 2nd March 2014
Yes, there is a way to get a "new" Bluestripe. There is an eBay seller named "Pro Replicas" who builds blustripe clones that are so exact it's crazy.

I purchased one about a month ago and I am in love with it. It's like getting an old Bluestripe new, back in the day, and time-traveling with it to today. Every thing has been re-created in exact detail. And yet, it has slightly less noise.

I highly recommend Robert's work.
Old 2nd March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Yes, there is a way to get a "new" Bluestripe. There is an eBay seller named "Pro Replicas" who builds blustripe clones that are so exact it's crazy.

I purchased one about a month ago and I am in love with it. It's like getting an old Bluestripe new, back in the day, and time-traveling with it to today. Every thing has been re-created in exact detail. And yet, it has slightly less noise.

I highly recommend Robert's work.
I can’t find him Ward. Did every search on ebay.
Old 2nd March 2014
i just went to google and typed in pro replica 1176 rev a and his website was the first to pop up however when i followed the link to his store they're not any current items on his ebay store. Try contacting him on here I have seen other members question the quality of the gear and Robert (the owner builder) is a member here and has responded before when members questioned build quality, materials, xformers etc, also from lurking awhile I have to come to appreciate Ward's opinion and have been interested in this rev a as well.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

I'm looking forward to hearing the Serpent Audio "Splice " units.
The switching between bluestripe or black rev D modes independently on the inputs and outputs and overall blend control functions are very toward thinking options IMO ..
I think they said shipping in April?
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
also from lurking awhile I have to come to appreciate Ward's opinion and have been interested in this rev a as well.
thanks man, Always good to know one person doesn't think you're a complete numbskull! LOL....

website: ProReplicas home of UREI 1176 and Pultec EQP-1A clones
Robert Darowski
[email protected]

I can't say enough good about Robert or his work. If he were a painter, I'm sure there would be 100 Mona Lisas circulating the globe, indistinguishable from the original.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

James is getting a taste of the blue stripe, it is killer indeed, I had one for a while, I regret letting it go but I don't regret the 5K I made off it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

James, I had mine modded to rev b . They sound killer now. Hope all is well. Joe
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
got a list of original materials? I’m pretty good a finding stuff
they're the same jfets that the 1108 preamp was designed around. they're shown on the schematic. My original rev A blue stripe sounds smoother and less aggressive with the original jfets than it does with the later and currently available devices. It actually kind of use to piss me off that I couldn't get it to do what other 1176s did.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carival View Post
they're the same jfets that the 1108 preamp was designed around. they're shown on the schematic. My original rev A blue stripe sounds smoother and less aggressive with the original jfets than it does with the later and currently available devices. It actually kind of use to piss me off that I couldn't get it to do what other 1176s did.
But I love the aggressive hair that adds to it. I mean a reg 1176 can don wonders but the blue stripe stand alone with that bit of hair to it.

All is Good.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
i just went to google and typed in pro replica 1176 rev a and his website was the first to pop up however when i followed the link to his store they're not any current items on his ebay store. Try contacting him on here I have seen other members question the quality of the gear and Robert (the owner builder) is a member here and has responded before when members questioned build quality, materials, xformers etc, also from lurking awhile I have to come to appreciate Ward's opinion and have been interested in this rev a as well.
how much do these usually go for?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderShepherd View Post
how much do these usually go for?
About $1040 + shipping for rev a.
He seems to be very responsive if you email. him.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Robert seems on the level.returned my emails promptly.
looks like he can do NOS TX on the inputs.
just wish I could actually hear one first.
buying something from Poland is kind of a one way deal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search