The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Blue Stripe questions. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 22nd February 2017
Here for the gear

In the midst of sourcing transformers for a Pro Replicas build. Got the vintage O-12. not so easy to find a vintage UA5002 though.

as I gather, this one is a reissue: https://www.studioelectronics.biz/su..._detail&p=1160

has anyone had the opportunity to hear the Sowter 1327 Urei/Universal Output transformer - his version of the UA5002

Sowter does such amazing vintage recreations I was wondering if it might be a better choice than a UA reissue...
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinopup View Post
In the midst of sourcing transformers for a Pro Replicas build. Got the vintage O-12. not so easy to find a vintage UA5002 though.

as I gather, this one is a reissue: https://www.studioelectronics.biz/su..._detail&p=1160

has anyone had the opportunity to hear the Sowter 1327 Urei/Universal Output transformer - his version of the UA5002

Sowter does such amazing vintage recreations I was wondering if it might be a better choice than a UA reissue...
Could this be an original UA5002?
Attached Thumbnails
1176 Blue Stripe questions.-p1011076.jpeg  
Old 22nd May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite View Post
Could this be an original UA5002?
I honestly don't know - I would guess no based on the age of the other components in the unit and I that "Rev A" is printed on it. Not sure if they had the foresight to print the revision number on the first version
Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I honestly don't know - I would guess no based on the age of the other components in the unit and I that "Rev A" is printed on it. Not sure if they had the foresight to print the revision number on the first version
Yeah, thought it might be an original just because everything I see has Rev.B printed on them and these are from the 1176AE's that were a limited run of 500 units I think. Either way I love these and wouldn't change a thing
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The studio electronics ua reissue, Ed Anderson & Sowter are the options I'm aware of. I'm also curious if the Sowter is an appreciable improvement.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

I had an original blue stripe A/Band used it daily for a good 12 years or so. I sold it 4 years ago.

dam thing was noisy, and slightly fuzzy. (not good on lots of things)

I sold it because of those features, and have no regrets.

black or silver face for me. clean and easy.

Buddha
Old 21st November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
I had an original blue stripe A/Band used it daily for a good 12 years or so. I sold it 4 years ago.

dam thing was noisy, and slightly fuzzy. (not good on lots of things)

I sold it because of those features, and have no regrets.

black or silver face for me. clean and easy.

Buddha
Can't say that about the ProReplicas, noise is slightly higher than on blackface clones due to choosing components as close to the original as possible, but far from being a problem. Dam thing sounds vibey and has plenty of mojo.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Hello

Very very happy ProReplicas 1176 Rev A here
I own a ReIssue 1176 UA and I like it only on bass...

The PR 1176 Rev A is GREAT on lead vocals, snares, ...
I'll need another one, but another pair of their EQP1A first

Paul
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search