The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Blue Stripe questions. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Is the UA-5002 the same as UA-5002-1a Rev.A?
Attached Thumbnails
1176 Blue Stripe questions.-p1011076.jpg  
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I think he starts with the EA TX's on the base model then the options go from there regarding vintage parts used.
I'd imagine the utc plays a significant sonic role.
Any idea how much they run for?
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite View Post
Any idea how much they run for?
No
I'll have the skinny on it after hearing it later today.
Old 19th May 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Hey War, how do you compare the Splice to the Purple ?

any thoughts ?
Both are excellent, the Splice has both modes though. Very easy to hear in our Clipalator.
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Both are excellent, the Splice has both modes though. Very easy to hear in our Clipalator.
Yes War, I listened to the Splice there,. great demo !

I love the Purple,. I was just wondering if the difference is a big one.
Old 19th May 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Yes War, I listened to the Splice there,. great demo !

I love the Purple,. I was just wondering if the difference is a big one.
The difference is not big at all in the Splice's blackface mode, the Blue Stripe mode you will hear more of a difference since it's a Rev A circuit.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Guru

worksinframes graciously brought by the PR rev A and an OG rev F.
we just did a quick vx shootout with some usual suspects:ref F,highland BG,Infratronics rev D,176,TG etc.
hangs with everything.The P/R rev A sounds good.
opened up.real good build,as good as any I've seen.
vintage utc 0-12/shielded and looks like a UA 5002 rev B output TX.
does those mid focused harmonics.slightly hairy but not too bright over 8k.
ie:urgent yet warm putting the vocal in the "right space" thing like I remember.
he left it here.
But now I gotta hear the Greg Hanks
Attached Thumbnails
1176 Blue Stripe questions.-pr-1176-rev-.jpg  

Last edited by RoundBadge; 19th May 2016 at 07:39 AM..
Old 19th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
we just did a quick vx shootout with some usual suspects:ref F,highland BG,Infratronics rev D,176,TG etc.
does those mid focused harmonics slightly hairy but not too bright over 8k.
ie:urgent yet warm putting the vocal in the "right space" thing like I remember.
he left it here.
Good to get another confirmation review of their products. This bluey and their Pultec and LA2A's interest me a lot!
Old 19th May 2016
Quote:
does those mid focused harmonics slightly hairy but not too bright over 8k.
he left it here.
Really liking the Pro Replicas review. Thanks RoundBadge. Sounds like you are already enjoying the unit. The faceplate and attention to detail looks great, and it's good to know the sound is equally as great as it looks. Also the build quality being spoke highly of is impressive. Pro Replicas have received great feedback regarding the sound of their units anytime I have researched their products
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Yep, even though I ended up having to move it to gather some cash for now, the ProReplicas RevA 1176 is a solid unit and hangs with the best of them. Well worth the price of admission.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Guru

Yeah Its a good one.and about 4K cheaper.
Old 19th May 2016
SEED78
They've taken a similar high quality approach to their LA2A, they are using chunky Sowter transformers, also carbon composite resistors and ceramic capacitors Z5U which they say brings it closer to the original build than some of the other LA2A clones on the market. All for approx 1400 EUR - being in europe its a bit of a no brainer to get one at some point. I just can't decide if I go Highland BG2 first or not....

Someone else on here compared their Pultec to have similar parts used to Cartec units, and they are selling the pro replica Pultec for 895 EURO I want 2!!
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The difference is not big at all in the Splice's blackface mode, the Blue Stripe mode you will hear more of a difference since it's a Rev A circuit.
Thanks for the info just what I needed
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
does those mid focused harmonics.slightly hairy but not too bright over 8k.
he left it here.
Do you know the difference between the UA-5002-1a Rev.A & Rev.B? Just curious as the Rev.A is whats in the 1176AE.
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

I've got a really amazing sounding original Blue Stripe here in the LA/OC area. It's not for sale, but I'm down to bring it if anyone wants to do a shootout so the Gearslutz community can hear some comparison files.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Man the slate is really great i wonder why anyone would take the time to rebuilt those old units
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2 d3 e6 View Post
Man the slate is really great i wonder why anyone would take the time to rebuilt those old units
Well I don't use computers for music recording/production so I'm glad there are still some gearheads out there!
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahaha he said that tongue in cheek LOL
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
ahaha he said that tongue in cheek LOL
Actually i didnt
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

I gotta say the Slate is really really good too.... And I have a real Blue Stripe too... Not sure I will sell it as somehow I like just commiting during tracking, but if it was for mixing I definitely would sell it.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Ive had 4 until last month and this thing does what its supposed to do. Ive kept my factory mod blackfaces for tracking and 1178s etc but this does what the real ones did without wasting a single hw insert lol. If i want the sound of a rev a i just pop in my 1108s. Done
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Guru

The slate blues looks good. I use his VMR everyday.compared to my hardware Neves/etc its really good.I'll likely buy them but for tracking...
Hardware.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Yup i use the slate neve eq for mixing its that good but for tracking gotta keep a few neves
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

I like Slate plugs decently... Have not tried the blue...but WOW for me the Slate is my least favorite plugin 1176... The black is a sloppy mess IMHO.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

The blue is very impressive.
Color is more musical, tone is more open (I think the black sounds opaque in direct comparison), and the release behavior seems better too.

I don't think the highs or lows on the neve eq sound quite as rich as the real thing, but it's the right attitude.

The Arousor plug is pretty damn good too. Has a nice attack and saturation/atmod interaction is very useful.

After a lot of testing vs my favorite hardware on drum bus and snare, I think both are a step above previous plugin compressors.

Also that TDR Mastering eq is one of the most musical transparent eqs I've ever heard, hardware or software.
Old 21st May 2016
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I like Slate plugs decently... Have not tried the blue...but WOW for me the Slate is my least favorite plugin 1176... The black is a sloppy mess IMHO.
I agree, the black is a mess and a waste of money for me as I haven't used it in ages. Hopefully the blue will be more useful.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not trying to dis a plugin at all...!!!

I use his plugs but this particular one is just not tight enough in it's characteristic or especially on the bottom end on say bass for example for me.
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Maniac

i havent used a rev d its supposed to be modelled after but i got a few F. I think they should redo it, its that bad, also the ssl channel which surely doesnt sound like any 4ke black ive ever used. The low freqs especially are off
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Guru

I'm trying to figure out how this became a plug-in thread.....
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'm trying to figure out how this became a plug-in thread.....
because of this crazy comment...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search