The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Blue Stripe questions. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchoco View Post
RoundBadge did you ever get one of the ProReplicas units?

Just received one of his blue stripe clones. I'm in LA if you want to check it out. I'd love to hear it next to an original blue stripe.
@RoundBadge did you ever hear this unit? I don't know if you saw this post above
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
@RoundBadge did you ever hear this unit? I don't know if you saw this post above
no never heard it.
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Maniac
I have a Pro Replicas Blue Stripe with UTC input transformer arriving here in LA in a few days if anyone wants to check it out or put it up against something similar. I'd be curious how it stacks up. I have old Rev F's here currently.
Old 10th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
I have a Pro Replicas Blue Stripe with UTC input transformer arriving here in LA in a few days if anyone wants to check it out or put it up against something similar. I'd be curious how it stacks up. I have old Rev F's here currently.
tell us more once you've had a chance - hope its great on vocals - pretty keen to get one, either that or their LA2A.
Old 17th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Pro Replicas 1176 RevA is in. ...and soon it will have to be out already. I have an opportunity to score some rare mics I've been looking for and need to gather $$$. Such is life.

In my short tests here so far it's a great sounding unit. Keeps up with my Urei's (Rev F) quality-wise and is preferred over them on vocals so far. More hair, more spit, less "gloss". I also prefer it over a Hairball unit I tried a while back. While I was impressed by the hairball, I think the original UTC input transformer in my Pro Replicas 1176 makes a difference.

If anyone in LA wants to hear it against something else in the near future, let me know. Putting it up for sale in a few days.
Old 17th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
Pro Replicas 1176 RevA is in. ...and soon it will have to be out already. I have an opportunity to score some rare mics I've been looking for and need to gather $$$. Such is life.

In my short tests here so far it's a great sounding unit. Keeps up with my Urei's (Rev F) quality-wise and is preferred over them on vocals so far. More hair, more spit, less "gloss". I also prefer it over a Hairball unit I tried a while back. While I was impressed by the hairball, I think the original UTC input transformer in my Pro Replicas 1176 makes a difference.

If anyone in LA wants to hear it against something else in the near future, let me know. Putting it up for sale in a few days.
Sounds cool.
I sent you a pm.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Nut

How many guys have had a bluestripe/revA 1176 in their hands? they're rare as rocking horse poop!
IMO the hairballs don't sound great unless they get some strategic tweaks, the splice is no joke, it's done to the enth, and has the original much higher HFE FET's in it, the modern equivalents are much lower HFE, the Splice is the ONLY one out there that has them afaik, Mike hunted those suckers down and owns them all I think.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Splice -
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyeYguy View Post
How many guys have had a bluestripe/revA 1176 in their hands? they're rare as rocking horse poop!
IMO the hairballs don't sound great unless they get some strategic tweaks, the splice is no joke, it's done to the enth, and has the original much higher HFE FET's in it, the modern equivalents are much lower HFE, the Splice is the ONLY one out there that has them afaik, Mike hunted those suckers down and owns them all I think.
I have.the bee's knees on rock vx.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Splice -
Bill you have the 500 series?do you have a current rev rack-mount splice?
still curious about it,just don't know anyone else who's used it in the real world.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Bill you have the 500 series?do you have a current rev rack-mount splice?
still curious about it,just don't know anyone else who's used it in the real world.
Yes. I've got two of the 500 series which Mike decided to discontinue making. Don't have the rack mt version. The 500's are the same as the rack mt versions, but the rack mount has a few extra features and a LOT more space for fingers. Mine pretty much stays parked on the blue stripe side of things. I love the aggressive vibe of it.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

Hey Bill, I love the sound of the Stripe, I listened to it on youtube but not in person yet,.

How does the Stripe sound compared to the Purple ?

Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Hey Bill, I love the sound of the Stripe, I listened to it on youtube but not in person yet,.

How does the Stripe sound compared to the Purple ?

You mean the "Splice" Steve? I haven't owned a Purple, but the Splice (from what I understand) can get dirtier with the A side of things, and is more versatile and has more features. All I know is that I love mine.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

haha yea Bill, the Splice.. I guess I got the Blue Stripe on the brain !

I really loved my purple, it did everything right, But... the Stripe sounds great on the video so,.. guess I gota have both.. lol

to those that have used both... What are your thoughts ?
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I think I scooped up the last pair of 500 series splices, and glad I did.
Attached Thumbnails
1176 Blue Stripe questions.-20160518_121456.jpg  
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sounds cool.
I sent you a pm.
Thinking about the pro replica myself. What were your thoughts?
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
haha yea Bill, the Splice.. I guess I got the Blue Stripe on the brain !

I really loved my purple, it did everything right, But... the Stripe sounds great on the video so,.. guess I gota have both.. lol

to those that have used both... What are your thoughts ?
The whole concept of the splice is that you CAN have both. Switch back between a period correct Rev A (bluestripe) or RevD (blackface). And you can combine the front and back ends of either to create something unique.

But yeah, what the heck, get both!!!

Wait, I mean get a stereo pair of both!!!
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Maniac

1176b the Blue stripe

Hi James, there were only 861 original Blue Face 1176 compressors made.

The chance of any two of those sounding the same is remote as the original components are now nearly 50 years old. The original Blue Face was released in 1967 and I remember buying 2-1176d compressors in late 1968 for a live sound company I worked for and we actually used them when Zepplin played Vancouver. Some of the components had 20% tolerances while today modern vintage builds like the Warm 76 have 1% resistors.

The Blue Stripe was the model just before the 1176LN which reduced the noise by 3-4db and reduced the distortion over the Blue Face.

I have serviced a couple of Blue Faces and they are alway a challenge to bring back to life. We end up replacing the majority of capacitors and internal trim pots.

The input transformer and output transformer are identical to the 1176LN and they both have class "A" output stages. Just the "B" blue face was noisier and had more distortion from the compression process.

The difference you hear is the increased distortion in the 1176D compared to the 1176LN and the later 1176 D which Bryce at Warm Audio does and incredible job or reproducing. I actually prefer the Warm 76 to my 1176f which I love.

I saw a used 1176 D going on e-bay for $3500 so I have no idea what the going price of a working 1176b would go for.

Also, the 1176b and the 1176LN thru D have an input transformer with a 600 ohm input. The outputs of some modern preamps were not designed to work into 600 ohms so the sound can change drastically depending one which preamp you use.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
Ok so after being at Armando's last month and hearing his vintage Blue Stripe 1176 on the vocals I had cut and can't stop thinking about how firkin awesome it sounded. I have no experience owning a Blue Stripe (I believe is rev B maybe?) but I have owned a number of 1176's for years; new, old and Purple. I currently have a UA re-issue and a Urei Rev F. Both I really like. The F I use a lot on vocals, has a nice wet, somewhat bright sheen. The UA is darker and thinker. I really like it on bass. My question is how does a Blue Stripe compare sound and function wise to a rev F? What makes it the vocal 1176? Does anyone make a new version that captures the mojo of the original?

Thanks
James
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rtland View Post
Thinking about the pro replica myself. What were your thoughts?
I'll hear it later today
Old 18th May 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Splice -
Yessirreebob indeed, the Splice is the best of both worlds in one box and nails it.

War
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

has anyone done a direct shootout between the splice and original rev A?
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
has anyone done a direct shootout between the splice and original rev A?
Check with DanD
Old 18th May 2016
I did a Blue Strip project about a year ago..

I've asked my friend who had four original Stripes at the time to take pictures of all the components for me and so he did.. So it took some time but I was able to source:
UTC O-12 input trannie
Vintage UA 5002 output trannie
NOS RCA transistors
NOS Fairchild JFETs
NOS Cornell Dubilier and Phillips caps
New AB carbon comp resistors

And had a great tech installing it on an Hairball kit, so i basically have an all original new Blue Stripe !! At first it was a bit bright (though great) but after two months of everyday use it started to sound the way it should and it's such a special comp.. My favorite lead voc comp, great coloration and it's locking the vocals in the mix while also making them feel more powerful and cut through the mix in a brilliant way
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

The outputs of vintage 1176s need to be strapped at 600 ohms to stop ringing in the output transformer. The Ed Anderson trannys in Hairballs don't exhibit this, don't know about others...
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'll hear it later today
They seem to be using the same transformers as Hairball.
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite View Post
They seem to be using the same transformers as Hairball.
this one has an original utc 0-12 input tx.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
this one has an original utc 0-12 input tx.
Ah I gotcha. Pretty cool, the utc 0-12 and UA-5002 can be requested but it sounds like stock is possibly limited?
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Yessirreebob indeed, the Splice is the best of both worlds in one box and nails it.

War
Hey War, how do you compare the Splice to the Purple ?

any thoughts ?
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
The whole concept of the splice is that you CAN have both. Switch back between a period correct Rev A (bluestripe) or RevD (blackface). And you can combine the front and back ends of either to create something unique.

But yeah, what the heck, get both!!!

Wait, I mean get a stereo pair of both!!!
hahahah YES!

I like the sound of the Blue setting form the vids I watched

thanks Bill
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite View Post
Ah I gotcha. Pretty cool, the utc 0-12 and UA-5002 can be requested but it sounds like stock is possibly limited?
I think he starts with the EA TX's on the base model then the options go from there regarding vintage parts used.
I'd imagine the utc plays a significant sonic role.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search