The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Blue Stripe questions. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Robert seems on the level.returned my emails promptly.
looks like he can do NOS TX on the inputs.
just wish I could actually hear one first.
buying something from Poland is kind of a one way deal.
Exactly.

For me, Serpent splice keeps jumping to the front of the pack considering Mikes rep & the rev A+D potential.
Still struggling to get my head around the look though.
A discontinued 500 splice seems to be great option if one can dig one up.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Exactly.

For me, Serpent splice keeps jumping to the front of the pack considering Mikes rep & the rev A+D potential.
Still struggling to get my head around the look though.
+1 for not digging the look of the rack version Serpent either.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 for not digging the look of the rack version Serpent either.
Same here the 500 was the way to go not getting the rack cause of the looks
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head
I hope I'm not to late to join in…

I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to do a blind shoot out a Rev A, B, D, F, G, H, Bomb Factory BF76, and Waves CLA76. I know it sounds crazy but for some reason they were all at the studio that day. I set all the controls in the same spot for fun and they sounded nothing a like. I tried to match each one in respect to input gain, compression, output gain, attack and release time. They all matched pretty well in the hardware versions. The tone of the A and H were a little different that the rest. The plugins were a little weird. The bomb factory one was the worst of the lot.

I thought the A sounded best on vocals out of all them. It was the least sibilant. It didn't do much for me on other instruments like the other revisions did. It wasn't very punchy on drums.

The other revisions sounded great on everything I tried them on. Except vocals the A won by a long shot for me.

The Waves plugin wasn't bad at all. The bomb factory version wouldn't be my first choice.

Last edited by babyjesus; 11th March 2014 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: lots o pm's
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjesus View Post
I hope I'm not to late to join in…

I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to do a blind shoot out a Rev A, B, D, F, G, H, Bomb Factory BF76, and Waves CLA76.
SNIP

The other revisions sounded great on everything I tried them on. Except vocals the A won by a long shot for me.
There is nothing like a Bluestripe on vocals, and lately I've been using mine in conjunction with a CL1b. Big fat tight in-your-face smooth vocal sound... which great dynamic control and very 'musical' white noise that even adds to the vocal sound in most cases... and you only get that when you push it by the way, so they're not necessarily noisy!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

This is my preferred vocal compressor chain too -- though I have to make do with plugs and Nebula impulses of the HW.

I agree that the Blue isn't great on a lot of sources besides vocals -- but try it on clean electric rhythm guitar in upbeat songs, it adds excitement and a "happy" sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
There is nothing like a Bluestripe on vocals, and lately I've been using mine in conjunction with a CL1b. Big fat tight in-your-face smooth vocal sound... which great dynamic control and very 'musical' white noise that even adds to the vocal sound in most cases... and you only get that when you push it by the way, so they're not necessarily noisy!
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
I agree that the Blue isn't great on a lot of sources besides vocals -- but try it on clean electric rhythm guitar in upbeat songs, it adds excitement and a "happy" sound.
I did this last week with an OG rev B for someone's track - upbeat rhythm guitar - their jaw hit the floor. Worked like always also on many other elements.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
s -- but try it on clean electric rhythm guitar in upbeat songs, it adds excitement and a "happy" sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post
I did this last week with an OG rev B for someone's track - upbeat rhythm guitar - their jaw hit the floor
I have GOT to get out of my conventional "Bluestripe is for vocals" "LA3a is for guitars" train of thought!!

Thanks, fellow gearheads!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I have GOT to get out of my conventional "Bluestripe is for vocals" "LA3a is for guitars" train of thought!!

Thanks, fellow gearheads!
Where did that thought come from? Try la3 on vocals, the bluey on bass, just pop em in and look whats best.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Blue Stripe 1176 is FAST. My preferred compressor for mixing vocals.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Where did that thought come from? Try la3 on vocals, the bluey on bass, just pop em in and look whats best.
We all get stuck in our habits!!
Old 13th March 2014
WAD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Yes the waves plugs capture an accurate difference to my ears. That's how I perceive my blue stripe with my Ds
Waves CL76 sound like diarrhea to me..
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut
Can anyone try to explain what is the sound difference with Blue Stripe vs. UA Reissue?
Old 30th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAD View Post
Waves CL76 sound like diarrhea to me..
You have a very musical bottom then! Sounds pretty good to me, and I have the originals on hand...do you?
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

I've tried many things except an actual blue stripe and the cla76 blue is the best "in your face" and "super attitude" compressor. It also has a very unique grab and tightness to it.

I've tried a slate dragon, purple, ua reissue, original rev d, nothin does the same thing on lead vocals of a certain style.

So I'm also curious about how the hairball or other clones hold up to their original inspiration.

Lots of talk about the hairball but I've yet to hear from users who have both clone and original and comment on it and even more helpful some audio files.

Let's keep this going!!
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

I've tried many things except an actual blue stripe and the cla76 blue is the best "in your face" and "super attitude" compressor. It also has a very unique grab and tightness to it.

I've tried a slate dragon, purple, ua reissue, original rev d, nothin does the same thing on lead vocals of a certain style.

So I'm also curious about how the hairball or other clones hold up to their original inspiration.

Lots of talk about the hairball but I've yet to hear from users who have both clone and original and comment on it and even more helpful some audio files.

Let's keep this going!!
Old 23rd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post

Let's keep this going!!
+1

I actually have a pair of original 1108 which I consider to use for getting even closer to a Rev A .

I've heard many times around here that Mohog has completely nailed Rev F sound. Who's going to crack Rev A ??
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well there is always the Kenetek which is made with all UREI parts. That is the best 1176 I have tried. I ordered it before trying and it really kills. :D
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing the Serpent Audio "Splice " units.
The switching between bluestripe or black rev D modes independently on the inputs and outputs and overall blend control functions are very toward thinking options IMO ..
I think they said shipping in April?

These (Splices) are the answer. Mike is killer at what he does, and he did it right on the splice. I've had a pair for over a year and they generally stay on the A (Bluestripe) side of things. Just a fantastic compressor. l BTW, I've got the 500 series which - unfortunately - "officially" drew too much current, and was too difficult a build to jam int a single 500 space, but I will tell you this - I will never sell them. Awesome comps, and I would expect nothing less from the 19" version as I think it has a few additional tricks up it's sleeve...
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
totally agree it your looking for a familiar apple to oranges kinda comparison. but they still sound kinda like turds compared to hardware
I did a rev d vs Waves blacky redux the other day on some drum room mics.
jesus it wasn't even funny how much more natural open bigger the hardware sounded.
Hope the UA new ones are better.
Hey Roundbadge, on a sidenote. You used to have, or maybe still have a couple MoFet76's right?

Seems to me, since those have multiple output transformers, couldn't you just swap to the Carnhill on one of those and add a bit of "grit" to the whole thing in much the same respect as a Blue Stripe? Even though it would be different than owning a Blue Stripe in terms of why it's a bit noisier, I'm just guessing that this would be a possible solution to hunting down a vintage unit, or building your own clone if you're looking for a similar result.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Same here the 500 was the way to go not getting the rack cause of the looks

Guys - I'll tell you this - I think I've got the only 2 production unit Splices out there. There may be a couple more, but Mike decided to pull the plug on them because he though he could build it BETTER in a 19" rack with it's own PS - and I lucked out with getting them. Dan Deurloo even did a lot of beta testing on them, and sadly, even he didn't get to purchase one. So, I wouldn't be searching too hard. heh

They ARE great, but the controls on them are TIGHT and packed like the 1960's family station wagon going on a cross country camping trip. There are a LOT of switches and controls for a 500 series chassis. Maybe the tightest piece of 500 gear out there, and the internal "packing job" that Mike did is OVER THE TOP. I've actually never seen a piece of gear like it......

The A/D thing is genius, but like I said in the other post, I've been kind of parked on the A version - mostly due to the "hair" factor.

I trust Mike do do things right, and I'd be confident and happy with the 19" ones. They are the ONLY thing I'd trade the 500 Splices for.....
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I trust Mike do do things right, and I'd be confident and happy with the 19" ones. They are the ONLY thing I'd trade the 500 Splices for.....
if they ever come out..
still waiting...
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
if they ever come out..
still waiting...
To be fair...a lot of 1176 clones came out last year. Maybe he felt the timing should shift.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Seems to me, since those have multiple output transformers, couldn't you just swap to the Carnhill on one of those and add a bit of "grit" to the whole thing in much the same respect as a Blue Stripe? Even though it would be different than owning a Blue Stripe in terms of why it's a bit noisier, I'm just guessing that this would be a possible solution to hunting down a vintage unit, or building your own clone if you're looking for a similar result.
that would be nice in theory but no,not the same.
the carnhill adds some thickness like you would expect from that tx.
still doesn't sound like a blue stripe...ie the "aggression".
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
To be fair...a lot of 1176 clones came out last year. Maybe he felt the timing should shift.
yeah I wanted to hear them sooner than later.
I have an infratronic unit but that company went belly up so I cant pair them.
I really wanted a second one.preferred it to the mohog.
the keneteks are pricey for a straight clone.
the splice looks interesting.not the cheapest but the options and all.
gotta say i hate the look of it but if they sound good..well.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
that would be nice in theory but no,not the same.
the carnhill adds some thickness like you would expect from that tx.
still doesn't sound like a blue stripe...ie the "aggression".
figured it'd be different...but maybe you could ballpark it by ear...no such luck eh?

Did you try the WA76 out yet?

Quote:
yeah I wanted to hear them sooner than later.
I have an infratronic unit but that company went belly up so I cant pair them.
I really wanted a second one.preferred it to the mohog.
the keneteks are pricey for a straight clone.
the splice looks interesting.not the cheapest but the options and all.
gotta say i hate the look of it but if they sound good..well.
You were telling me about those...and they looked killer, but they were gone almost immediately after I did a little digging on them. Wonder what the story was, maybe they ran out of vintage parts?
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Did you try the WA76 out yet?
yes.interesting unit.kinda hifi and not as aggressive/punchy as my fav 1176 though.

Quote:
You were telling me about those...and they looked killer, but they were gone almost immediately after I did a little digging on them. Wonder what the story was, maybe they ran out of vintage parts?
it might have been some non compete political thing with the transformer company..dunno for sure though.
bummer.they were very good and reasonably priced.either that or retro 176 or both on vocals
Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

bluestripe is a comp that you can just leave inserted on your record channel and use it on everything...it feels faster to me and less sloppy somehow...agjust gain to taste...sometimes no buttons in....super duper comp...wish I had 5 or so.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut

RoundBadge did you ever get one of the ProReplicas units?

Just received one of his blue stripe clones. I'm in LA if you want to check it out. I'd love to hear it next to an original blue stripe.
Old 2nd May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchoco View Post
RoundBadge did you ever get one of the ProReplicas units?

Just received one of his blue stripe clones. I'm in LA if you want to check it out. I'd love to hear it next to an original blue stripe.
Did you like your PR 1176 in the end? I'm tempted to get one specifically as a character comp for vocals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search