The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous Compressor vs Neve Portico MBC Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd February 2014
Dangerous Compressor vs Neve Portico MBC

I'm looking at adding another comp and its down to the Dangerous Compressor vs the Neve Portico MBP.

I've had my eye on the Portico MBP for a while now until Dangerous built their new compressor. I'm not particularly looking for a comparison with sound as much as just something that kicks ass to maybe replace or compliment what I have. I have an STC-8 and like it.
Had an API 2500 and SSL, Nail, CharterOak noisy and they didn't do it for me. I like clearer smooth stuff that doesn't get in the way for 2 buss duties. If I want tubes and grit, I'll add something else for that in the matrix. Basically looking for something new and inspiring for mixdown..

I've heard some are liking the Portico over the STC-8 now. The Dangerous Comp sounds like a pretty cool box too, especially for vocals. hmm...

Anyone had the opportunity to compare these two yet?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
I'm looking at adding another comp and its down to the Dangerous Compressor vs the Neve Portico MBP.

I've had my eye on the Portico MBP for a while now until Dangerous built their new compressor. I'm not particularly looking for a comparison with sound as much as just something that kicks ass to maybe replace or compliment what I have. I have an STC-8 and like it.
Had an API 2500 and SSL, Nail, CharterOak noisy and they didn't do it for me. I like clearer smooth stuff that doesn't get in the way for 2 buss duties. If I want tubes and grit, I'll add something else for that in the matrix. Basically looking for something new and inspiring for mixdown..

I've heard some are liking the Portico over the STC-8 now. The Dangerous Comp sounds like a pretty cool box too, especially for vocals. hmm...

If you are looking for a versatile, clean compressor that is great for bus duties, I'd actually suggest taking a look at the Safe Sound Audio Dynamics Toolbox. I have the Portico compressor as well and love it, but for the specific application you seem to be aimed at, the Toolbox would be my choice. To me, the Toolbox excels at "invisible" compression. You don't realize it is there unless you want it to be noticed, however, when it is bypassed, you notice something really nice is missing and want it back!

I have no experience with the Dangerous unit so I have nothing intelligent to say about that unit.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Interested in this too.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post

Dear AudioKid,
We're concerned about your comment regarding the noise floor of the SCL-1. We have of course delivered hundreds of these units and a high noise floor is never a complaint when service is required, unless there is a fault in the power supply or the grounding is compromised, both extremely rare.

What we have found most often when an end user calls us regarding noise on this unit, although rare, is that there is not nearly enough signal being presented to the input, i.e. poor gain staging. This user error can happen more easily with the SCL-1 as there is no input metering.

If your input is on 7 attack on 2 slope on 7 and you have to turn the dynamic threshold past 4 or 5 to get 3-5 dB gain reduction, you are not presenting enough signal to the input.

Please don't hesitate to call us so we can organize a SKYPE call to trouble shoot.

Thanks,
MD

Michael Deming
CharterOak Acoustic Devices
47 Pearl St.
Enfield, CT. 06082 USA

PH - +1.8606553328
FAX - +1.8606989812
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search