The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT dreams..... PLATE REVERB ANYONE??? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
Yes... but the UAD plug-in is not as 3d sounding as any plate I've heard. That said, the UAD plug-in is a cool effect in its own right and I've gotten some cool results using it as well Just a more 2d sound, which again, can be right on the right source!
after a long search and intensive googling i finally found me an emt 140. its a very early one (serial 123), its mono and tube but the guy i bought it from added 2 piezo pickups which makes it stereo and really low on noise. i only had it connected for a couple of hours and compared it to the uad version, the (awesome) nebula version and some of the bricasti plates. uad sounds nice but definatly was the weakest contender. nebula sounded great and so did some bricasti presets but the original - man, i have been looking for a reverb that u can throw anything at and it makes it sound right instantly. some 70ies disco live drums - phew .. huge! congas, percussion, vocals ... obviously i´m into that sound but i never had this with a digital reverb. next thing will be a reverb chamber i am setting up next week! i have unused rooms below my studio that i can use for that easily. really curious - but emt140? new world to me
Old 17th September 2014
would any of you EMT owning sluts be interested in running tracks through them for a small fee and uploading the wet track on dropbox? I think there would be some demand
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
Nothing gets even close to the real EMT 140. Period.

Comparing the real thing with a plug-in is exactly the same thing as comparing midi piano with real a Steinway. But midi piano CAN do the job, if it's not that critical, though...

I also have few BX20's but those are wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy less versatile, bit one trick ponys, IMHO. But great at what they do.
just substitute EMT140 for the word plate and +1

brand has nothing to do. Real vs Imitation does
Old 23rd February 2016
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Maniac

I would love it if the plug ins did a great job on reverb emulation. But then people wouldn't be booking this place for the 140, 240, 250, and 251 here. They are expensive, large, and ugly, but the sound of a properly maintained one is so wonderful and magical, it makes you feel like the best engineer everyday.
A lot of engineers do sessions of simply EMT reverb prints for ITB mixing later.
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Any Gold Foil love here? They're brighter but layer well with a 140.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Addict

This from a 1960s Gotham Audio demonstration record promoting the EMT 140 to FM radio broadcasters to enhance their stereo broadcasting.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
This from a 1960s Gotham Audio demonstration record promoting the EMT 140 to FM radio broadcasters to enhance their stereo broadcasting.
Cool. The "expurrience" of "steerio."
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Nut
I used the Pluto Plate passive pickups when refurbishing my stereo EMT 140 since I bought it damaged. The original pickups were bent by a previous owner's bad shipping prep. I can say that running those passive pickups into my Dizengoff D4 tube preamps is a thing of magical beauty. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be disappointed by a Pluto Plate. From what I have gathered a different kind of metal will be a different flavor but the magic will still be there. In my experience the plate reverb vs emulation hype is true. There is no plugin or hardware emulation that is even close to the 3d magic of a real plate reverb. The way it reacts to a Culture Vulture, delay, modulation or compressor on the input is just amazing. The stereo image is amazing. Don't think twice. Get a real plate reverb if you can swing it.

Last edited by veggieryan; 12th March 2016 at 02:09 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search