The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLM Dynamics DB8000s - User experiences? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

CLM Dynamics DB8000s - User experiences?

Hey people,
I'm looking at a CLM Dynamics DB8000s (8 channel pre) as a possible purchase for location use. There's not a lot of info out there about this unit so I was wondering if any users out there might be able to chip in with their experiences of this little beasty.

In particular I'm interested in the quality of the pre's and their suitability for recording choirs, small ensembles, jazz and folk to a high standard.

Thanks y'all,

Dave.
Old 21st October 2006
I can't really speak about the pre, I have the expounder which is a really nice eq, well made sounds wonderful. I doubt they make a pre that's not great, but since their gear isn't on the cheap side and not hyped like some other companies, I would rent them to see if you loved them.
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

I have one and was involved in the original review for Audio Media. Mike Skeet brought it along to a session I had and we tried it out. It is a very good unit, good enough that I bought one and have used it extensively.

I have just bought a Crookwood remote controlled I-pre system, much for ergonomics (as well as the Crookwoods phenomenal sound), but I have produced some very good recordings with the DB8000. If you are interested I will be selling mine towards the end of November when the I-pre arrives.

Regards

Roland
Old 19th December 2006
Here for the gear

I have a db8000s and it is an excellent high quality and very versatile bit of gear. Its particularly excellent for drums & heavy guitars. Its got a cool soft stop limiting protection on each channel which can be used for practical and creative reaons but its also got three separate outputs per channel so is a great splitter too. Mine has got the ADAT board installed so i can simply hook my eight drum tracks up to my interface via lightpipe. They're all hand made and its the sexiest bit of gear in my collection so if you've got 1200 GBP then this is the toy for you. I got mine from a company called studiocare in Liverpool and i cool guy called Ed who works there got me a good deal on one. You can check em out at www.studiocare.com
Old 20th December 2006
Gear Maniac

I've got one too

It's really nice... not very coloured, but great indeed - until I got Neve 1073DPA it was my only high end pre, and I liked it a lot... Compared to the Neve it's a little brighter and thinner, and obviously less coloured, but still a great pre - especially for the money 1200 or so for 8 channels vs 1500 (GBP) for the Neve, 2 channels... Transients sound great on it, really sharp in a good way...

Built like a tank and heavy into the bargin!

I'd certainly reccomend it.. not well known, but it's nice to have something that not many people have

Iain
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have used and sold a few in the past.. good solid sounding kit with lots of possibilities for LIVE, FOH, gigs etc as well as generic studio work. sonics and bang for buck cant be beaten.

Wiggy
Old 9th January 2009
Deleted 37a7726
I just picked up one of these units 2nd hand. Really nice, sounds great. I was impressed by the build quality & design after popping the top open. Beautifully MODable. I'm sure i'll take advatage of the tranformer slots at some point. Anyone have any recomendations for what transformers would work well with these units? They do sound great as is so i might just leave it be. The built in compressors are surprisingly useful. It has become my go to close mic drum pre. Highly recommend.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 37a7726 View Post
I just picked up one of these units 2nd hand. Really nice, sounds great. I was impressed by the build quality & design after popping the top open. Beautifully MODable. I'm sure i'll take advatage of the tranformer slots at some point. Anyone have any recomendations for what transformers would work well with these units? They do sound great as is so i might just leave it be. The built in compressors are surprisingly useful. It has become my go to close mic drum pre. Highly recommend.
Cool...and we just found 4 of them "Brand New" in our warehouse!!!!!!!
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

I had a DB2000s for a while (just the 2 channels). It was a nice clean unit and the mid-side function was very handy. It was not perfectly matched between the channels though in noise floor which was a bit of a pain. If I still had it now, I might be able to do something about it. There was some info about an op-amp upgrade. I'm sure the Jim Williams of this world would have something to say about that.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search