The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nicerizer N16 Summing or API The Box Summing Mixers
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Head

Nicerizer N16 Summing or API The Box

Hi

I'm currently running a 'hybrid' studio / mixing OTB with a Prism Orpheous x 2 into Pheonix Audio N16 summing and going back into Cubase for my Final mix (Started to run Hardware compressors - UBK / Retro 176 in Cubase as Extrenal FX) recently which sounds great compared to plugins

My work is producing music for traliers/promos (Electro/Rock) so need 'total recall' for projects and projects need to be done quick but to high standards etc

Would the API 'The box' be a sonic improvement on my current workload? or would it be best just to invest in more outboard and run as external FX...the N16 is v cool as is...

Wondering how you guys work?!

Cheers
Huw
Old 14th February 2014
Here for the gear

I'm there too; I love the N16 and have the two Orpheus; I send the N16 output back into logic via orpheus... Its frustrating as I would like an extra out on which to monitor but don't want to buy a third orpheus...
The Box looks cool, but I think for the same money you can buy a lot of 500 series stuff which is going to make everything sound way better.
I can't fault the N16, night and day on mixes, the biggest upgrade to my studio and workflow.
Old 15th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahjesus1 View Post
Hi

I'm currently running a 'hybrid' studio / mixing OTB with a Prism Orpheous x 2 into Pheonix Audio N16 summing and going back into Cubase for my Final mix (Started to run Hardware compressors - UBK / Retro 176 in Cubase as Extrenal FX) recently which sounds great compared to plugins

My work is producing music for traliers/promos (Electro/Rock) so need 'total recall' for projects and projects need to be done quick but to high standards etc

Would the API 'The box' be a sonic improvement on my current workload? or would it be best just to invest in more outboard and run as external FX...the N16 is v cool as is...

Wondering how you guys work?!

Cheers
Huw
sounds like a great set up you have.

the box would not be an improvement. for the money, you could get a nice pile of gear that would help out your sound quite a bit more - outboard eqs, comps, harmonics, etc

good luck!
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like you want is a good summing mixer, strange you want the API box out of all...
For that money you can buy MANY summing mixes with different colors..

You might want to look into the Burl B32 mix bus also..

I myself want to buy the Nicerizer but it is little bit expensive I wish they would release a version with less channels and more affordable...
Old 15th February 2014
Test the N16 against other great summ.boxes and check how it compares when some channels are in the CENTER...
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

I would also love to hear the N16, does any one actually have any sample of out ?
Where can can compare with different drive levels..I guess the magic is happening when you drive
them little bit harder...
Old 15th February 2014
Here for the gear

I got Alan at ASAP Europe to send me the N16 to try; I'd called with my credit card details after two hours with it; and he sorted me out with a really good deal as I added a Bus Comp...
Its just a great sound; like a Neve console.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Nut
tonelux + sum.mation+ outboard
Old 15th February 2014
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Looks like you want is a good summing mixer, strange you want the API box out of all...
For that money you can buy MANY summing mixes with different colors..

I myself want to buy the Nicerizer but it is little bit expensive I wish they would release a version with less channels and more affordable...

Don't forget there already is a more affordable version of the Nicerizer - the Nicerizer Junior which was released around 3 months ago, its sonically identical but without the features which might not be needed and costs around 1/3 less. Priced at $1999 US MAP.

[email protected]
Old 10th October 2016
Hello gs friends
too old topic, but never too late for one more opinion!

I never worked with the API The Box but i want to! So i can't tell...

I bought our Used Nicerizer 16 (UK) one year ago , from a GS US friend, in a very reasonable price. The unit came and had some problems. Some of the summing channels had a noise after the years of use, is normal. So we sent a message to Mr. Shawn Leveque and he send to us some Parts (free of charge!!!!!!), After that we had a normal maintenance. Now the unit is a killer!. In the past I have done many mixes into analog consoles (DDA,Trident, SSL, Neve) and after many years i "took" somehow the same feeling when using this "magic box". I can hear sweeter transients, tighter low end, and lot of headroom. Also i don't know how to describe it but the bass went "back" and everywhere!!!, so leave so much "space" for the rest elements of my mix. There is one more tricky thing. The Stereo Width Potentiometer, and i believe is a very clever option if you want to "push" a little bit more the Output!

Before 3-4 years i used Neve 8816 for many project i ve done. Also this is a very nice summing box, but in my opinion not in the same "league" with Nicerizer. This box making something magic to the final print.

We don't use the monitor section because is useless to us and very complicated. But i want to share one thing!

from the day that arrived it, we do not print any mix without it !

too much love here for Phoenix products!

peace.
Old 10th October 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

i've had a Box for a couple months now, and really love it. If you get the entire thing hooked up with a good patch bay system it really opens up and i see it now pretty much as a 20-channel console. while i have my pro tools outputs normalled to the "summing" inputs of The Box i regularly use those channels as my outboard effect returns. the only real difference between the 4 mic pre channels and 16 summing channels is that the 16 don't have EQs or pres... but, with the inserts on the back this is easily overcome... anyway, i digress....

i think for your situation it seems you'd just be looking for summing features. i'd only look at The Box if you incorporated outboard and needed the auxes or were tracking through it, needed the pres, etc...

The Box is a great summing mixer, too, especially with the 0dB buttons, but it might be overkill for you if you're not incorporating outboard, tracking or otherwise need console functions.

as has been stated here, money may be better spent on supplements to your summing system.

happy to try to answer any questions about The Box tho...
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Reviving old thread...now that the "old" API box is going to be on the used market a bit more given the new one that just came out, I'm considering it over my nicerizer JR. The nicerizer is good, no doubt, but given the box is a true mixer rather than just a summing box, will it be a significant improvement? I've heard from one guy selling a used box that it IS an improvement, but 10 times the price improvement?

Factor in that I could use the pre's, EQ, and aux sends, along with monitor section, that is worth something, along with actual faders too. I have good outboard to insert as well.

But on just the mix buss, API worth the coin over the nicerizer?
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

EDIT: I thought it was the OP who posted this, so I removed the all verbiage about still asking it five years later, apologies.

Ultimately like you mentioned you are comparing a legitimate 100-pound API console with pres+inserts+sends+vus+faders+master section and sixteen output txs to a 2U rackmount summing bus.

Is it only the 2-bus sound I want? If I wanted a console to track and mix with like an instrument, I know a summing box won't cut it for me and will keep me looking towards consoles. But if I only want the sound, then no, the increased cost for buying all the other stuff is not worth it for the increased sonic goodness, if there is one.

Last edited by MythUndreamt; 30th January 2019 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: APOLOGIES, I thought you were the OP. My mistake. The rest of the argument still stands though.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

To your original post, the coolness factor is part of it, I'll admit, but not enough to just buy one for that reason.

As far as workflow, I do miss faders and aux sends. There's something about the tactile nature of using a console over a computer, whatever that's worth.

As far as sound, most gear upgrades are a 10% or so increase in better sound, unless you really go high end. I'd have to justify the box as a significant upgrade over the nicerizer. Trying to find a box in my area to hear it in action.
Old 30th January 2019
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search