The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lyra 2 vs uln-2 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th February 2014
lyra 2 vs uln-2

Hi folks. Been lookin all over and cant seem to find much to help me decide between these 2 units. Can someone please provide a little insight? Im just lookin for the highest quality sound. I need the best all in one solution, as i dont have any external preamps yet. Also, only gonna be recording one input at a time. Thanks.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have a uln-2 and for what you want to do I'm pretty sure you will be more than happy with the Metric Halo box. That said, I have never heard the Lyra 2 or any Prisimsound interfaces. They seem good. With MH however you get amazing software, flexibility, as well as upgrade options and a future proof product with incredible customer service. I suppose some Prisimsound users should chime in.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I have a uln-2 and for what you want to do I'm pretty sure you will be more than happy with the Metric Halo box. That said, I have never heard the Lyra 2 or any Prisimsound interfaces. They seem good. With MH however you get amazing software, flexibility, as well as upgrade options and a future proof product with incredible customer service. I suppose some Prisimsound users should chime in.
Lyra owner here...the software is pretty good (a little buggy with my mac for some reason but I seem to be the only one with this problem so who knows), the conversion sound quality is stunning, and the support is outstanding (used once because I couldn't figure something out with the lightpipe). The preamps are solid, though not quite as good as a dedicated high end unit, as to be expected.

Overall, I'm a huge fan of the Lyra and use it as my primary converter for all gear prototyping and testing.

I have no experience with the MH and thus have nothing intelligent to say about it.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Hendy-
I too have regular software issues on a mac -- wouldnt surprise me if many do, i just think there are relativle few Lyra users out there so you dint see a ton of feedback on the units.... i could be wrong... but im not doing anything intricate whatsoever with the software so id be surprised if we are the only ones with some buggy behavior on a mac.

That said, the sound quality, depth of stereo field are absolutely stunning and IMHO slightly better than the MH options. Splitting hairs with quality of this level. I do think MH gives you far better value for your dollar - especially with the ULN8... but I prefer the Prism AD if youre sticking to a 2in 4out interface.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
Hendy-
I too have regular software issues on a mac -- wouldnt surprise me if many do, i just think there are relativle few Lyra users out there so you dint see a ton of feedback on the units.... i could be wrong... but im not doing anything intricate whatsoever with the software so id be surprised if we are the only ones with some buggy behavior on a mac.

That said, the sound quality, depth of stereo field are absolutely stunning and IMHO slightly better than the MH options. Splitting hairs with quality of this level. I do think MH gives you far better value for your dollar - especially with the ULN8... but I prefer the Prism AD if youre sticking to a 2in 4out interface.
yeah it is just a little glitch here and there...has not affected tracking or functionality so I haven't been too concerned.

The sound quality really is worth dealing with any software glitches...stunning quality and clarity.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Lyra has better DAC. MH is a nice package though..

I would be interested in trading my ULN-2 for a Lyra as I need a mixdown DAC.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Also deciding between a ULN-2 and a Lyra 2. How do the ADCs compare?

The Mac stability issue has me worried about the lyra since I'll be using it for live performances as well.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Bump. Still debating btwn the ULN-2 and the Lyra 2. Can they both record AES inputs and 2 analog inputs simultaneously?

Need a 4 out, 2 preamp + AES (for an axe fx) interface for both live and the studio and seems these are my best options. Any other contenders?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS View Post
Bump. Still debating btwn the ULN-2 and the Lyra 2. Can they both record AES inputs and 2 analog inputs simultaneously?

Need a 4 out, 2 preamp + AES (for an axe fx) interface for both live and the studio and seems these are my best options. Any other contenders?
I think so, the Lyra doesn't have AES though. Has SPDIF and ADAT instead. I'm thinking about maybe getting an ULN-2 to go with my 2882 actually. ULN 2 is on sale right now as Metric Halo has a spring sale going on.
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Addict

So I ended up getting an ULN 2 to with my 2882 in the Metric Halo sale. It's turning up today! Exciting!
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
I think so, the Lyra doesn't have AES though. Has SPDIF and ADAT instead. I'm thinking about maybe getting an ULN-2 to go with my 2882 actually. ULN 2 is on sale right now as Metric Halo has a spring sale going on.
Lyra2 does have AES! Use it all the time!
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Lyra2 does have AES! Use it all the time!
Oh really? Sorry for spreading misinformation!! I was also going back and forth between the uln-2 and lyra over which one to get so had been looking at photo and reading specs a bunch and hadn't seen it!

Am I being crazy? I can't see it on this.

Old 22nd May 2015
From the website...........

Formats supported: Lyra 2 S/PDIF (RCA or TOSLINK), ADAT, ADAT S/MUX (TOSLINK), AES3 (RCA)
Sample rates: S/PDIF/AES3 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
From the website...........

Formats supported: Lyra 2 S/PDIF (RCA or TOSLINK), ADAT, ADAT S/MUX (TOSLINK), AES3 (RCA)
Sample rates: S/PDIF/AES3 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
Oh right! My mistake. I was looking for an XLR style AES port.

I'd like to try a Lyra out and I just saw an ad to demo them so may see if I can get one sent over. I just got such a great deal on a new ULN-2 though (about 1/3rd of the price of the Lyra 2) that I couldn't really turn it down.
Old 23rd May 2015
We have 2 Titan. The software is pretty good. IMac 27(late2013) , New Mac Pro.
Thank God very stable.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
Oh really? Sorry for spreading misinformation!! I was also going back and forth between the uln-2 and lyra over which one to get so had been looking at photo and reading specs a bunch and hadn't seen it!

Am I being crazy? I can't see it on this.

It comes with 2 adapter cables rca to XLR AES (in and out). It sounds great! I love it as a DA. AD is very good too, but I still like HEDD better on most of my mixes. I was using a benchmark DAC-1 and the prism is superior in everyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search