The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very strange h3000 issue. Please help!
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Very strange h3000 issue. Please help!

Hello fellow GS members.

Because of numerous praises of H3000 here in GS, I finally got myself a very good looking H3000 D/SE for a nice price. As I went through presets, it definitely gave me an awesome vibe which I didn't get it from software.

Anyway, I found rather strange randomness from H3000D/SE and seeking for your help.

The reverb and other delay some chorus seems working fine but when I try to use pitch shifting related effect like famous "519", and others, for some reason, it seems outputting only one channel or sometimes, a digital noise or distortion type noise.

I find it weird because if the unit is faulty, shouldn't be acting bad on overall presets? Why only pitch-shifting effects? I already did the factory reset but no improvement.

The service manual says certain preset only accepts mono input. Are those mono-effect outputting mono only?

My friend suggested me maybe I should exchange EPROM. I'm leaning more to that idea.

Please help!
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

You should be getting stereo outputs. Eventide still works on the H3000. If you're having issues you could always send it their way. I did it recently with ours and it came back in great shape.
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
You should be getting stereo outputs. Eventide still works on the H3000. If you're having issues you could always send it their way. I did it recently with ours and it came back in great shape.
Hey thanks for the input. Yeah luckily there is eventide HQ to send it back to.

It's that I don't live in States and will cost me a fortune to ship it to HQ.
If i can't find a way to fix this I'll eventually have to send it to States but for now I'm looking for a cheaper solution
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

It is possible that one of the effects EPROMs has 'bit rot' and if so then putting in a new set *might* fix the problem but I don't know if the H3000 does a checksum of its EPROM first. If it does then bit rot is not that likely since it should be caught there... Doesn't hurt to try, though.

Be very careful inside those units, some of the electronics in there are exceptionally sensitive to static electricity, read up on ESD precautions before going digging in there and at least take some precautions. You must use protection ...

Can't say for sure what the problem would be but if the EPROMs are fine then it sort of sounds like there could be some subtle problem in the digital/DSP section, perhaps there is one section that is only used for pitch shifting? Sometimes the service manual is very valuable when you're trying to fix these things. I believe that the H3000 used two TI DSPs and a whole lot of digital logic in there. Is there a self-test mode in an H3000? If so, you might need the service manual to decode what's wrong.

If you were an electronics technician used to fixing embedded computing systems or perhaps an electronic engineer/designer (my day job) you probably could figure it out but if you are not used to working on digital 'stuff' it can be daunting and you can make it worse or destroy the whole unit by making one false move. One slipped 'scope probe on a dynamic RAM chip could blow up most of the parts in the unit - by shorting 12 volts to the 5 volt power rail. I've done it before and I do this sort of thing for a living! That being said, if you take ESD precautions and even compare the temperature of similar chips in the unit, sometimes the bad part will make itself known by getting hot.
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
Hey thanks for the input. Yeah luckily there is eventide HQ to send it back to.

It's that I don't live in States and will cost me a fortune to ship it to HQ.
If i can't find a way to fix this I'll eventually have to send it to States but for now I'm looking for a cheaper solution
I have almost the same problem with my Eventide H3000 I bought on Ebay. Some presets seem to work fine, others are heavily destorted or don't work at all. So did you find out what was the problem?
Appreciate your help!
Old 10th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compressor View Post
I have almost the same problem with my Eventide H3000 I bought on Ebay. Some presets seem to work fine, others are heavily destorted or don't work at all. So did you find out what was the problem?
Appreciate your help!
Hey Compressor, just saw this post.
I eventually moved to LA so I just sent it to eventide HQ to get it fully fixed. What I heard from HQ regarding the problem is that there was a bad resistor in channel 2 causing the noise and the power (molex) connector was intermittent and needed to be replaced"

Hope this helps.
Old 11th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
Hey Compressor, just saw this post.
I eventually moved to LA so I just sent it to eventide HQ to get it fully fixed. What I heard from HQ regarding the problem is that there was a bad resistor in channel 2 causing the noise and the power (molex) connector was intermittent and needed to be replaced"

Hope this helps.
Thanks, will look for the mentioned resistor.
Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search