The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What year is this U87 mic? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st April 2014
Deleted User
great find!!

not to twist the thread but.. a friend of mind said he liked the sound of these with battery power rather than phantom power... ??? anyone have experience ??
Old 21st April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodmiles View Post
Does anyone know what the frequency response of this mic is?
It should be the same as any other similar year Neumann U87. Yes, they vary slightly but are usually pretty consistent.
Omni

Figure of 8

Cardioid
Old 23rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Thanks but it's a bit hard to see those frequency charts in your link
Old 23rd April 2014
Should these capsules get serviced/cleaned?
Attached Thumbnails
What year is this U87 mic?-20140423_023604.jpg   What year is this U87 mic?-20140423_023612.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

By the looks no, but if it collapses like in
breath test then yes - obviously
A mic of this age would like to see a thorough health inspection anyway
( Done by a mic pro )

Matti
Old 23rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
great find!!

not to twist the thread but.. a friend of mind said he liked the sound of these with battery power rather than phantom power... ??? anyone have experience ??

I must try this out, I have found this to be true when recording through guitar pedals as well. Something about battery power is magical
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Are 60s u87 better than 80s?
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Are 60s u87 better than 80s?
Up to the middle of the 1980s they are very consistent and any differences would be due to age and condition.

In the late 1980s, the U87 Ai model was introduced. It has higher output, no battery and slightly different specifications. So mics from the late 1980s are not the same as the original (pre'86) model.

Last edited by DarkSky Media; 4th November 2015 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
If to the middle of the 1980s they are very consistent and any differences would be due to age and condition.

In the late 1980s, the U87 Ai model was introduced. It has higher output, no battery and slightly different specifications. So mics from the late 1980s are not the same as the original (pre'86) model.
Okay, yes thats what I was asking all the U87i's are the same up until the creation of AI. This thread made it seem like earlier U87s (pre AI) were better than latter. Guy is lucky though. That capsule will last him
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Okay, yes thats what I was asking all the U87i's are the same up until the creation of AI. This thread made it seem like earlier U87s (pre AI) were better than latter. Guy is lucky though. That capsule will last him
Yes.

It may also be worth noting that not all U87 mics prior to the "A" version were denoted "i", the one on this thread being a case in point. The "i" referred to the mic having been factory equipped with an XLR connector - which initially was mostly done for export (ie outside EU) markets. The one pictured above has the 7-pin tuchel socket instead, as does one of the U87 mics we have here - and it therefore has no i (i.e. it's just marked "U87").

However apart from the connector, the non-i variants don't differ (age and condition notwithstanding, as noted previously).
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.

It may also be worth noting that not all U87 mics prior to the "A" version were denoted "i", the one on this thread being a case in point. The "i" referred to the mic having been factory equipped with an XLR connector - which initially was mostly done for export (ie outside EU) markets. The one pictured above has the 7-pin tuchel socket instead, as does one of the U87 mics we have here - and it therefore has no i (i.e. it's just marked "U87").

However apart from the connector, the non-i variants don't differ (age and condition notwithstanding, as noted previously).
yes my U87 does not have an "I" on it, but it came with XLR must have been converted. Would love to convert it back to tuschel actually just to keep it funky. was looking for a cheap u87 and the vintage happened to be the nicest looking and cheapest at the time, go figure
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Nut

I was wondered if anyone could roughly date the one we have? It's a U87i, serial number 8455 (red dot). It's still got the original box too. We bought it fromm a studio that was closing down and no-ones ever been sure of the date of manufacture. Love the thing!
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefyblue View Post
I was wondered if anyone could roughly date the one we have? It's a U87i, serial number 8455 (red dot). It's still got the original box too. We bought it fromm a studio that was closing down and no-ones ever been sure of the date of manufacture. Love the thing!
A ready-reckoner that I have puts the date of 8455 at late 1968.

However on their second attempt, Neumann advised a 1969 manuf. date for 7**6, which precedes your mic, so we might suppose that if you follow the procedure described above to obtain an 'official' date, it may come back as circa 1970.

Either way it's a nice piece of history for you to have!
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
A ready-reckoner that I have puts the date of 8455 at late 1968.

However on their second attempt, Neumann advised a 1969 manuf. date for 7**6, which precedes your mic, so we might suppose that if you follow the procedure described above to obtain an 'official' date, it may come back as circa 1970.

Either way it's a nice piece of history for you to have!
Neumann just got back to me. You were bang on, 1968! I didn't realise it was as old as that, i thought it was maybe late 70s!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search