The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's with Vintech now? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th February 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Definitely a good pre. Unfortunately, people get hung up on what is the best copy of this, or copy of that. They should be buying it on it's own merit. Great pre at a good price.

If I am being honest, it did not really sound like the real thing. The bottom on the real thing was bigger, and the high end eq is much broader on the real thing, it sounded like the q was much tighter on the vintec. You can boost a whole lot with a neve, I could never boost more than a few db on the vintec..... So, if you want a neve, save and but the real thing. If you want a great pre, hard to go wrong with a vintec.
Old 4th February 2014
  #32
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
I think you need to understand that my post was meant to draw people into a debate regarding the public's perceptions of these products rather than the product's actual performance or quality.
clearly the actual performance and quality does not change objectively as "favor" rises and falls. I would make a point to push away any insecurity arising from the opinions of others. And in all phases of life, not just with preamps.

Quote:
It was only a few years ago that everyone was claiming they had found the holy grail of Neve knock offs
that is not at all how I remember it. I remember the Vintech being slagged around here as being 'less' of a "true Neve" sound than some of the others. I think it is a fine preamp, but I will withhold judgement on which preamp is "closest" to a real Neve and all that crap.


There is confirmation bias in the very act of sampling the opinions. The "impression" you have that "everybody" loves this or hates that, is not a scientific study. Nobody counted up all mentions of the gear everywhere on the site, and evaluated whether each one had positive or negative content. It's just an "impression" influenced by the impressee's preconceptions and selective observations. I bet there are people reading this thread today who 'feel' that Vintech is enjoying the best GS reputation they have EVER had right now in February 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul
From what I've read at least I thought that Vintech was finally past the bashing and was being fairly treated. But trends here do have their ups and downs. If it works for your ears use it and don't worry about what others think.
really. We are buying gear here, not buying stock in the company. It's reputation with others should be irrelevant except in the reverse sense that if something we like is 'out of favor' we can get it cheaply on eBay. At one place where I work they have had a Vintech for 10 years. It never gets 'obsolete' because it is already a vintage emulation- it is supposed to sound "old". It keeps working every day, and has never needed repairs or maintenance. Switch it on today and the same sound you liked yesterday comes out of it.

If someone suddenly doesn't like that sound because it has fallen out of favor on Gearslutz, the problem is within - for someone claiming to make his living on his ears, either his ears were messed up before or they are messed up now.
Old 4th February 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WOO View Post
Well, unfiltered 420...I had a mod done on my DIs,actually, I got hotter DIs. They did a little work on my EQ sections on all 4 channels,and a few changes with updating some resistors. etc..If you have any questions give them a call..
Yeah, that's the only complaint I have, the DI's suck.
Old 4th February 2014
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Yeah, that's the only complaint I have, the DI's suck.
Not anymore. The DI has been significantly upgraded for about the last 3 years. Not even close to the same.
Old 4th February 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
McPhaul's Avatar
Originally Posted by McPhaul
From what I've read at least I thought that Vintech was finally past the bashing and was being fairly treated. But trends here do have their ups and downs. If it works for your ears use it and don't worry about what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
really. We are buying gear here, not buying stock in the company. It's reputation with others should be irrelevant except in the reverse sense that if something we like is 'out of favor' we can get it cheaply on eBay. At one place where I work they have had a Vintech for 10 years. It never gets 'obsolete' because it is already a vintage emulation- it is supposed to sound "old". It keeps working every day, and has never needed repairs or maintenance. Switch it on today and the same sound you liked yesterday comes out of it.

If someone suddenly doesn't like that sound because it has fallen out of favor on Gearslutz, the problem is within - for someone claiming to make his living on his ears, either his ears were messed up before or they are messed up now.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not from the "really." but what you said is pretty much spot on what I said.
Old 4th February 2014
  #36
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
Originally Posted by McPhaul
From what I've read at least I thought that Vintech was finally past the bashing and was being fairly treated. But trends here do have their ups and downs. If it works for your ears use it and don't worry about what others think.



Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not from the "really." but what you said is pretty much spot on what I said.
yes totally agreeing
Old 4th February 2014
  #37
Gear Maniac
 

I have a BAE 1073MPF and a Vintech 473. I love them both and use them on every session. I really don't love tracking snare through other preamps anymore - the "thwack" these preamps give is gorgeous and makes me not have to work so hard with the attack of my drum compression.

My impression with the Vintech stuff is they were loved, then there's the typical backlash -- "everyone loves them, they can't be that good". Then people seemed to not like Vintech as much for a bit. I feel like now, as of the past year or so, things have leveled out. It's always going to be a subjective and silly game when there are multiple arguments going on with this stuff. "Which sounds most like a vintage Neve?" going on at the same time as "is it a good-sounding preamp?". So even if every single person were to agree that Vintechs are fantastic, there is still going to be negative opinion of something not being a perfect, exact match for that piece of gear that a poster spent $10,000 on or used in their heyday and misses. Then you add in that not everyone likes the sound of this kind of transformer-based preamp, and it's just all a big mess.

Regardless, my BAE and Vintechs are my favorite preamps I own. Right now I'm working on a project with the BAE on snare and 473 on stereo overheads, kick, and room (Lindell 6x-500s on toms, if you're curious). Sounds beautiful. Using lots of crushed room and the close mics just blend in so beautifully -- not plasticy or artificial sounding. I had a question about my 473 when I first got it. I emailed Dallas. He called me, answered my question, chatted for a bit, and gave me his cell number and said to call him any time if I needed him. At first I felt special, until I realized that this is how he is with most everyone, at which point I just felt really enthusiastic about the way he runs things. I'm not loyal to any of these companies in particular and I'd love to try out the Heritage units for example, but I love the channels I've got and I know I'll be buying more in the future. 32 channels of outboard Neve-ish preamps? Yes please!
Old 4th February 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
I think geoff tanner said that there were so many revisions, that the 1073 has as much variance in each individual revision and specimen than between clones and the original. Forgive me if that was not him who said it, but i think i recall reading it on a thread.


But that makes sense, as does the fact that there are so many variables as to what any source, mic, processing, etc, sound like, so tiny differences between preamps is not going to make or break anything.
Old 4th February 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Why bring BAE into it? They make first-rate equipment & I haven't read any complaints. Please stick to facts or at least qualify subjective opinion.
Old 4th February 2014
  #40
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I think geoff tanner said that there were so many revisions, that the 1073 has as much variance in each individual revision and specimen than between clones and the original. Forgive me if that was not him who said it, but i think i recall reading it on a thread.


But that makes sense, as does the fact that there are so many variables as to what any source, mic, processing, etc, sound like, so tiny differences between preamps is not going to make or break anything.


I don't know if it's truth, but people claim that George Massenburg, in 70's, always checked the channels before a session, and asked to change some modules that sounded 'not so good' as he would like.
Old 5th February 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
To the OP - You haven't been around here long enough I guess but Vintech was the butt of the joke for a long time. Seems that the owner of Vintech and someone who used to frequent this board A-LOT did not see eye to eye and Vintech got bashed pretty hard.

Will
FWIR, Dallas (Vintech owner) offered to set up a double blind test/shootout with such person....I think even offering to do it at a studio near him (can't really remember)...but I do remember that the GS' 'frequenter' basically balked at the idea....gave a reason like, 'I don't have time', or something to that effect, etc.
Perhaps got the jitters if one would fail such a test after years of bashing on GS. I dunno.

Not taking sides, but I do appreciate Dallas's attempt to let his product speak for itself in a double blind shoot out, Dallas took the high road IMO.

I can't be sure (memory wise), but I think the 'Vintech bashing' from said person pretty much ended (or tapered off) after Dallas offered the blind shoot out idea to settle it.

I also remember Dallas being very professional about it all. Never getting personal, or attacking, etc., just offering to send his product out to be tested, shot out, etc.
Old 5th February 2014
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
FWIR, Dallas (Vintech owner) offered to set up a double blind test/shootout with such person....I think even offering to do it at a studio near him (can't really remember)...but I do remember that the GS' 'frequenter' basically balked at the idea....gave a reason like, 'I don't have time', or something to that effect, etc.
Perhaps got the jitters if one would fail such a test after years of bashing on GS. I dunno.

Not taking sides, but I do appreciate Dallas's attempt to let his product speak for itself in a double blind shoot out, Dallas took the high road IMO.

I can't be sure (memory wise), but I think the 'Vintech bashing' from said person pretty much ended (or tapered off) after Dallas offered the blind shoot out idea to settle it.

I also remember Dallas being very professional about it all. Never getting personal, or attacking, etc., just offering to send his product out to be tested, shot out, etc.
Personally I think the Vintech clones sound pretty close to the way a 1073 would have when it was new! Dallas really needs to work on replicating the sound of coffee spills, red wine, weed smoke residue, coke dust & corrosion in his products. He should also voice each unit in accordance with the 1073's that each customer has heard before, because they all sound different. Man, what a slacker........
Old 5th February 2014
  #43
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Personally I think the Vintech clones sound pretty close to the way a 1073 would have when it was new! Dallas really needs to work on replicating the sound of coffee spills, red wine, weed smoke residue, coke dust & corrosion in his products. He should also voice each unit in accordance with the 1073's that each customer has heard before, because they all sound different. Man, what a slacker........
I wonder if you can make a transformer out of coke dust.
Old 5th February 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Happy 573 owner right here.
Old 5th February 2014
  #45
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WOO View Post
Vintech is a great company. I just had my 473 modded,and they saw some other things that needed taking care of... They knocked it out... That's what I am talking about... My unit was an older 473.... It's like having a brand new unit...I called them up made arrangements, they called and said it was all good.. And it was... Solid business and solid sound...it was a trouble free experience. Everybody was friendly and ready to help.. Thanks To Dallas and his team!!My 473 rocks just like 1073s...
Exact same thing happened to me. They completely overhauled it and I pretty much got back a new unit. Wouldn't even let me pay shipping charges. Great company with a great product!!!
Old 5th February 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

I saw this video a while back where Soundpure did a comparison between the Vintech and the Neves. Here ya go....

Vintage Neve 1073 vs. Vintech X73i Mic Pre Shootout - YouTube
Old 5th February 2014
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Happy 573 owner right here.
+1
Old 5th February 2014
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
clearly the actual performance and quality does not change objectively as "favor" rises and falls. I would make a point to push away any insecurity arising from the opinions of others. And in all phases of life, not just with preamps.
Great post, and not just the part I quoted.
Old 5th February 2014
  #49
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Personally I think the Vintech clones sound pretty close to the way a 1073 would have when it was new! Dallas really needs to work on replicating the sound of coffee spills, red wine, weed smoke residue, coke dust & corrosion in his products. He should also voice each unit in accordance with the 1073's that each customer has heard before, because they all sound different. Man, what a slacker........

For a small "vintagizing fee" Dallas can ship new products to a Colorado smoke shop of your choice.
Old 5th February 2014
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRichards View Post


I don't know if it's truth, but people claim that George Massenburg, in 70's, always checked the channels before a session, and asked to change some modules that sounded 'not so good' as he would like.
Not unusual at all. I wasn't recording in the 70s, but I remember in the late 80s a lot of folks (including me) checking the various channels in a console and marking down differences and which ones to avoid.
Old 5th February 2014
  #51
Gear Addict
 
jayson_p's Avatar
 

As a 609CA owner my only regret is that I don't have more Vintech gear...yet.
Old 5th February 2014
  #52
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
For a small "vintagizing fee" Dallas can ship new products to a Colorado smoke shop of your choice.
Or better still take a short vacation with your Vintech or other favorite Pre!
I guarantee everything sounds better in Denver, Of course in the old days in Madison when it was just a fine, one could walk down the hall and get the full rock star treatment!
Old 28th January 2015
  #53
Gear Head
 
Alchemy Sound's Avatar
 

My two cents... Dallas is a nice and very genuine guy who will do his best to help you out in any way he can. I'M LOVING THE 473 that he built for me, and look forward to have one of his 609Ca's in my rack soon. Dallas has always been a pleasure to work with. I stand behind his products over here at Alchemy Sound Studios in Tallahassee Fl.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump