The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harrison 950mx vs modular alternatives
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear
Harrison 950mx vs modular alternatives

I am very interested in the Harrison 950mx series because it is modular, which means I would be able to build up the console over time as finances dictate. However, I probably will never get to hear or see such a console in Northland, New Zealand prior to any purchase. I was wondering what other modular consoles are out there, which you recommend? I primarily would require the console for mixing music (mainly acoustic, classical, rock and electronic). Having EQ on each channel and HP and LP filters is essential. Having 2 buss compression is not essential, but would be a bonus. The 950mx has 2 stereo buss compressors. Inserts are required on each channel. It should have 4 stereo fx sends/returns and at least 4 stereo buss channels. Micpres are not essential either as I hope to get more rack micpres.

I currently have a PTHD rig with 16 i/o channels via Apogee Symphony and an assortment of micpres (8 channels) and hardware compressors (9 channels), fx (4 stereo channels) and eq (9 channels).

I would be most grateful for your suggestions. As far as price goes (up to 15,000 K for the console shell, the channel strips extra $).
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that I probably sold as many consoles as anyone in the world. Modul
Yes it is modular but before you consider the grow as you grow plan on any console, understand that modular is all about service, and in many cases customization.
Price the frame any expansion frame and look at how much discount you get buying the loaded frame!
Most of the time when your buying individual modules your paying quite a premium and your going to be surprised what the frame and internals costs!
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear
That is a good point you make.

How do you think the Harrison 950 MX would compare to the new Trident 80D?
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
That is a good point you make.

How do you think the Harrison 950 MX would compare to the new Trident 80D?
80d is a work in progress while I respect the guys who are designing and building a board, since they admit what was at the show is not the final design, the only way to compare would be to guess, and my sonic magic 8 ball has a leak!
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Until you work with a console , you don't really know it.
Everything is about compromise anyway.
No one piece of gear can do it all on every occasion .
So you give it your best guess based on research .
and even then , you will be lucky to get 90% match up out of anything that's for sale .

Harrison has things to offer that many cannot offer.
They are hand made in their factory and soldered right there .
They put everything together by hand , not assembly line.
If you want a Harrison you have to order it and wait until they finish building it .
They do not have consoles sitting on a shelf .
They are built like a tank and very solid .
It is a lifetime purchase , it will last decades .
It is state of the art quality and I dare you to find one bad word about that unit .
It sounds better than most , it's clean with an analog flavor to it .
Well designed .
Modules do not get cheaper if you buy one or 20 .

They offer their own audio editor and plugins that match the console sound.
They offer studio furniture that matches it.
They make rack gear for expansion .
They are very nice, professional people who care about you and your gear.
You can actually talk to the President of the company if you want.
They stand behind what you buy from them.

Now , if you know anyone , anywhere , that does all that , then you need to buy their gear instead . Harrison has had over 40 years of successful business building consoles . They sound fantastic as well .

JMO though .
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear
Wow! I appreciate your reply to my thread and excellent advice. It is great to know that Harrison have a long standing reputation for excellence and their prices are fair. The post sale service from a company is important to me. I also have not read a single bad thing about their company.

I have worked with analogy consoles in the past (and regrettably sold them when PTHD came out) and have never managed to get the same work flow or sound as I did prior to working ITB. I long for a return to that method of working but with a DAW.

My needs are relative simple. I am looking for a well built solid console (not one that is too large) that has quality components that will hopefully last 20-30 years. Having at least 16 channels with useable EQ and inserts and a minimum of 4 stereo fx returns for my external gear is all that I am after.I am not after a large console I have to leave powered on 365 days per year. I need a console I can turn on and off as the work dictates. I saw their matching studio furniture and racks, which I was most impressed with.

I will continue to read reviews about the Harrison 950 mx and seek opinions from Harrison console users. Of course, I would love to hear music that was recorded on it. I hope to make a decision within the next 3 months as it is a major decision to make and I probably will have to sell my Waldorf Wave and other bits of gear to fund part of the purchase.
Old 19th July 2016
Really enjoy seeing the videos of this wonderful Harrison console. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Y1PSIYVvE
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

There has been a Harrison 950 in the classifieds at a pretty good discount for a long time . Might still be there
Old 20th July 2016
I wonder how this mixer sounds when you sum or mix through it as well to your DAW. It seems you can record to your DAW and then to mix your tracks from your DAW, just hit the insert buttons in each channel which will route the signal back to the mixer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search