The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Helios RE-24 Stereo Equalizer
Old 24th January 2014
Helios RE-24 Stereo Equalizer

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know any information about the Helios R-24 Stereo Equalizer?

What year were they made?
It is a piece that is like having 2 Type 69's?
In use, how does it sound?

Really any info at all would be much appreciated and Thanks!
Here is a Pic of a RE-24.

steve

Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hi: I used to have a Helios desk made up of eq's similar to the stereo unit. It's not like a Type 69 at all. It's different all together but still quite good. Swettenham thought it was his best design.
Old 24th January 2014
Thanks man! Anyone else own one of these?
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

we have one .. # 10 or 13 i don't remember... ours is silverface.. apparently only the first 14 or 15 we're silverface the rest were blackface like the one in your picture... i heard only about 40 or 50 of these exist in the world...

fine eq... put some 16k sparkle... wish they were all sweepable... eli173 has one for sale in classifieds..

heres ours under the lunchbox
Old 25th January 2014
Do you guys know if it is Transformer in and out? Does it color the signal just by running through it?
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argali View Post
Do you guys know if it is Transformer in and out? Does it color the signal just by running through it?
I imagine they have Sowter's in and out. Tony Arnold is around these forums. He'll tell you everything. Lovely guy.
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Head

Helios RE-24 rackmount eq

I have been inside a few of them and yes, they are transformer in and out and lovely sounding. The eq design is primarily IC based, but Dick also used some hybrid design amps (IC and discrete transistor combined) to get the performance to his liking.
Definite tone and transformer sonics, but the eq is clean, accurate, easy to use and smooth sounding. This same eq design was used in many of Helios later consoles including the Stones Manor studio, Island Hammersmith and Townhouse.
If the one up on ebay is still available get it! I have serviced it in the past and recently did some simple recapping of the power supply and retensioned the potentiometer frames for the current owner, who has loved it on his recordings for many years.

Ken Hirsch / Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio LLC Orphan Audio
Quad-Eight Electronics™ LLC Quad Eight Electronics
Electrodyne Audio™ Electrodyne 501 511 | Pete's Place Audio | Audio Products (a division of Orphan Audio LLC)
email: [email protected]
mobile/text: 818 632-2496

"Education is the cure for everything"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search