The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does a Flea 47 sound compared to a new Telefunken 47?
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Funny I'm really digging the 87 on my voice. It's so good to hear opinions from other audio guys. We did some acoustic guitar clips this morning with the um900, 87 and Lauren Clarion. All good, all different. The 87 had a sad almost loneliness to it. Very cool. Probably more indie rock male singer/songwriter. The 900 sounds the most polished and commercial to me. Just so alive and vibrant. The Clarion was similar to the 900, just had a slightly different tone. Nice too.

It's been so cool doing all this experimenting. For me I feel I have all my bases covered and now with the vocal/acoustic guitar room dialed in we are getting the best sounds we've ever gotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Thanks for the clips, this is great fun.

I asked earlier but never heard back, just curious,

What levels (dBFS) do you use when you are tracking?
Not sure. Usually about halfway in Protools. Trying to keep things as consistent as possible.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear
James, Is the UM900 a brand new one ...
and, if by any chance, have you tried Gefell's CMV reissue?
Thanks, Ariel.

(Definitely liked it the best of the 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
James, Is the UM900 a brand new one ...
and, if by any chance, have you tried Gefell's CMV reissue?
Thanks, Ariel.

(Definitely liked it the best of the 4)
No it's an older one. Not sure how old but I think it was Greg Wells' years ago.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
I thought they did most of their vox with a 47?
AFAIK most early material was with a U48 so they could record dual, simultaneous background vocals with the Figure-8 pattern. Later vocals (>1968) were U67 especially after they branched out from Abbey Road studios to other studios (eg Trident etc).
Old 28th February 2014
Thanks for the comparisons, James!

(Please learn another song too. LMAO)
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for that James ; small nuances and no huge standout . As a previous poster said, something with a harder edge would tell a bigger story as many mics would sound good with this track. Grace under pressure is one of my main requirements FWIW.
In this test for me
1. Geffell (most complete)
2. 47 ( a bit tubby but a gentle HPF with fairly high turnover fr could possibly get that)
3. Equal between 87 and 47 fet (both different but still very good)

Cheers, Ross

Last edited by reddirt; 1st March 2014 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: poor formating
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
Thanks for that James ; small nuances and no huge standout . As a previous poster said, something with a harder edge would tell a bigger story as many mics would sound good with this track. Grace under pressure is one of my main requirements FWIW.
In this test for me
1. Geffell (most complete)
2. 47 ( a bit tubby but a gentle HPF with fairly high turnover fr could possibly get that)
3. Equal between 87 and 47 fet (both different but still very good)

Cheers, Ross
I will get some heavier singing samples up. I did scream into all the mics and everyone held up nice. Actually did a session last week with a Steven Tyler kind of singer and the Heiserman Fet 47 was flawless.

Had an 8am fiddle session (you will never here me utter those words again). The UM900 was absolutely incredible. All the mojo in all the right places. Wow!
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
The UM900 was absolutely incredible. All the mojo in all the right places. Wow!
That's what a few clever guys wrote !
"Please, don't sell your UM900"

R.
Old 19th June 2014
I just wanted to stop into this thread and share my similar experience to James' experience in picking mics for one's voice. I've had in my studio of late a C12CG, M49CG, T-Funk 251E, Lucas CS4, BN Arabella, and BN modded AR51. I also packed my mics up and went over to Telefunken's place in Windsor, CT and we listened to many of those plus a Bock 251, T-Funk C12, and a T-Funk U47.

I came away from that session kind of happy, and kind of sad. My favorite of all the mics that day was the T-Funk U47, the only one I can't afford at the moment! I don't think people realize what a cool shop that place is, and that the people there really care about microphones. That whole debacle years ago should be water long passed under the bridge. The diamond series mics they produce are the real deal. I came away really impressed.

As for the others the C12CG mics I own are amazing. James, I would seriously consider trying one out if you are still looking for that sound. I very much preferred it to the T-Funk C12.
Old 19th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
My favorite of all the mics that day was the T-Funk U47, the only one I can't afford at the moment! I don't think people realize what a cool shop that place is, and that the people there really care about microphones. That whole debacle years ago should be water long passed under the bridge. The diamond series mics they produce are the real deal. I came away really impressed.
Plus one.

I took my U47 there for a cleaning a couple of years ago. It is one of their early models (#0021) from back when they were offering a VF14M tube and original Neumann capsule (Thiersch reskinned) as an option. So there was a circuit upgrade available too.

I got the tour and met a group of dedicated souls obsessed with microphones.

The mic sounds lovely and I even got a cool tshirt!
Old 19th June 2014
WOw, what a journey reading this thread.

U certainly have some nice gear there and I appreciate the comparisons.

I must say that after reading and watching from testing each mic, comparing the subtle nuances of each, choosing one, wanting to return one, and choosing another and keeping, after the 12 diffusers, I would suggest that logic does not say go and retest all the mics with the new diffusers, but to actually get more room treatment and room analysis to get close to a flat response, before going down the road of finding which mic sounds better in your room and space vs. which mic has what subtle characteristics.

While it is clear the newer tracks sound better, and a lot of the nuances were improved or not as good with this subtle change, doesn't it make u think the subtle differences now that lead to choosing a different mic might go away or warrant a different selection if u improved the room further? Why base your opinions on the characteristics on these mics, when now u know a slight improvement in acoustics is going to potentially change the choice again? Some more investment in acoustic treatment, might inform your decision more accurately and save u a great deal of time and money and get u a sick sounding room for your sick sounding mics!! Nice gear and cool to read and watch, ThanX!
Old 16th April 2015
Lives for gear

Cool info here
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear
What did you end up with Mr. Lugo?
Old 7th September 2015
Deleted e03114c
I'll throw in my two cents here,
I tried the Telefunken U47,
I recorded acoustic guitar, and did a few vocals with it.
My personal thought was that the Telefunken was a great microphone,
However it did not do my voice justice, like the Flea 47 (EF12 & F7 capsule)
To my ears, it didnt have the warmth and presence, compared to the Flea...
On my acoustic guitar, it was ok, but it didnt blow me away,
And for nine grand, it should've blown me away.
I decided to purchase the Flea in the end.
But, that doesn't mean it isnt a great microphone,
It just didnt marry with my voice, and the Flea 47 really did on all levels,
Vocals,acoustic guitar etc etc.
And the Flea was $4000,
Big price difference.
Also the cable that screws into the mic was grainy, and felt like i was going against the threads :-(
In my opinion, you just cant charge that kind of money, unless everything is A1.
To me and my ears,
The Flea beats the Telefunken, hands down.
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear
mic

In Nashville go to Mic rehab and talk to shannon he can build or tune a existing mic to your voice guarantee he is at least worth a call
He also Blackbird studio mic tech in other words knows his ****
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckdirect View Post
I'll throw in my two cents here,
I tried the Telefunken U47,
I recorded acoustic guitar, and did a few vocals with it.
My personal thought was that the Telefunken was a great microphone,
However it did not do my voice justice, like the Flea 47 (EF12 & F7 capsule)
To my ears, it didnt have the warmth and presence, compared to the Flea...
On my acoustic guitar, it was ok, but it didnt blow me away,
And for nine grand, it should've blown me away.
I decided to purchase the Flea in the end.
But, that doesn't mean it isnt a great microphone,
It just didnt marry with my voice, and the Flea 47 really did on all levels,
Vocals,acoustic guitar etc etc.
And the Flea was $4000,
Big price difference.
Also the cable that screws into the mic was grainy, and felt like i was going against the threads :-(
In my opinion, you just cant charge that kind of money, unless everything is A1.
To me and my ears,
The Flea beats the Telefunken, hands down.
Hey dreck, thanks for the comparison. Too bad for us that the FLEA worked out better on your voice, you can't win 'em all. We are always working to improve our products from the entry level all the way up to our vintage reissues, so feedback like this is very important for us to hear.

I just wanted to comment that we have had, for a couple years now, a much improved plating process on our cable parts that has resolved any graininess you may have experienced while demoing our 47. The plating is harder and chemically lubricated.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Hey dreck, thanks for the comparison. Too bad for us that the FLEA worked out better on your voice, you can't win 'em all. We are always working to improve our products from the entry level all the way up to our vintage reissues, so feedback like this is very important for us to hear.

I just wanted to comment that we have had, for a couple years now, a much improved plating process on our cable parts that has resolved any graininess you may have experienced while demoing our 47. The plating is harder and chemically lubricated.
Still love my U47. Its an early one from you guys with a VF14M. Years of wonderful recordings. Thanks!
mixmixmix
James, your voice will sound good with any mic, because you sing with a lot of sincere emotion.

Being able to hear minute differences between those stellar mics is a curse if combined with a smallest self-doubt.

Be zen about this situation, than make a choice and commit.

Don't ever doubt your choice. That is a secret of "right mic for my voice".
Old 18th February 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...a DIY clone, utilizing Dany Bouchard's historically accurate PCBs:
Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

...combined with a K47-type capsule from Eric Heiserman:
Made in the USA HK67 HK87 HK47 style capsules..AND NOW HK12 PRE-ORDER!!!!
kidvybes โ€” how do you think this stacks up against the 3uaudio GZ47 fet or fet V?
Old 18th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
kidvybes โ€” how do you think this stacks up against the 3uaudio GZ47 fet or fet V?
...I have not had the opportunity to use the 3U Audio GZ47fet yet, but I do own the GZ47fet-V, and I prefer it to my custom 47 clone build...but that's due more to the fact that the GZ47fet-V's voicing (a touch darker, smoother and less upper-mid aggressive) is inspired the classic M49, which I also prefer over the U47...
Old 21st May 2017
Fet47 was my fave. love that open revealing sound
๐Ÿ“ Reply