The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 963 Mixing Console Consoles
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Studer 963 Mixing Console

Hey everyone,

I decided to get a mixing console. Somebody would sell me an good looking
and working Studer 963 Mixing console. I want to know your thoughts on it
and what would be a good price!

Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

I had one, it's a great little console... sounds fairly "clean" but had definitely a vibe to it.. excellent sound.
these were modular pieces made with the utmost quality, depending on the modules, number of channels, condition the price might vary..quite a bit..

if the features fits your workflow (limited eq and bussing on most of these), you'll be very happy.. silent power supply built in.. overall a great desk IMHO.

Cheu
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplex One View Post
Hey everyone,

I decided to get a mixing console. Somebody would sell me an good looking
and working Studer 963 Mixing console. I want to know your thoughts on it
and what would be a good price!

Great Console - I once had one but sold it (and I regret this a little). Price depends on how many owners it had (imo a important fact) and how good the condition is. BUT: The one in the picture would be too little (not enough chanels) to pay a high price. The Studer 961 or 962 (the compact consoles) have the same technologie and sound and are much cheaper. The 963 only makes sense imo if in minimum it has 24 Monochanels and maybe some stereochanels.

best
Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Only one user.
How much do you think is ok? 2500€?
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Only one user.
How much do you think is ok? 2500€?
For that price I would take it right away. Because of the great housings and (meter) Bridge they normaly go for more than this (even the little ones go often for more). So 2500 would be a very good price imo.

d.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

2500€ would be a hell of a deal for this mixer.
just make sure it's perfectly working.

If it's in good working order, this is easily a 4500€ mixer.
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Maniac

good to hear.
And I get all the cables too! :-)
Old 24th January 2014
SEED78
i missed out on a similar mixer in the UK last year - still troubles me at night.

Studers are great!

peeps are right to flag up the fact you might end up spending a few k more on modules one day though...

pass it on to me instead!
Old 24th January 2014
I think i know exactly this desk and iirc at least one channel was not working correctly...were is this desk located?
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Maniac

It is in Munich!
Do you think the preamps are good enough for recording vocals
or do you thin I should use an extra Preamp?
Old 27th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Do you think the preamps are good enough for recording vocals
or do you thin I should use an extra Preamp?
I used to work with a Studer D19-MicValve Outboard-Preamp for ages - one of the best pieces in my studio ever. And I sold it to have money to buy a 963 with 40 of the very same preamps built in. So: Extra Preamp? No. Good enough for vocals? The Question is more: Are the vocals good enough for these preamps...

As well: Prices for Studer-Equipment are mostly a bit over the top. But the desk in your pic looks like in very good shape. Usually the paint and letters on the frontpanels are rubbed away. So you can have 16 very nice channels, 4 groups and optional space to put even more channels in (unaffordable though... ), Plasma-Metering for the groups, the Master and two more (o.k. would be nicer to have metering for the channels as well). Good to combine with ITB-working - wich makes the simple EQ bearable. Everything is symmetrical - even the inserts (wich are at +6dBu - not -2 or -10 or whatever other desks so...) Switching is done with FETs, so if the switches become funny you won't hear it. Only drawback: No option for switching between different Speakers is provided.

And yes: The PCB's are the same as in 961 and 962 plus an extension for Aux 3+4 and group-routing.

If you can afford it: Buy it! 2.500 sound o.k. The problem with prices for these desks is: If one is offered they usually ask something like 7.000 or 10.000 Euros or whatever and this number stays stuck in everybodys mind - even though they never ever sell for these prices... I won't tell what I have payed for mine since I'm afraid of being attack in the streets...

Chris
Old 27th January 2014
SEED78
preamp are meant to be great in all studers as far as I can tell. in this 9** range they are meant to be clear but really high quality.

I've always wanted to hear the early 189/089 preamps people rave about.
Old 27th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
they are meant to be clear but really high quality.
??? Is this a pardox? "Clear (I think you mean the hype-parameter "clean"?) BUT High Quality"?

O.K. if you're more into Internet-Hype-Voodoo-Talk:
Go for some more crosstalk, distortion and noise - but really high quality...?! Sorry I forgot: Hum! And save lots of money! There's a german company that serves all these demands very well... And for Tape-Saturation you could use the cheapest-ever 4-track-Cassette-machine from the 80's and have the vintage-factor for free! And if you think the vocals through your Neumann just only sound like the vocals through your Neumann you can contact Klaus Heyne via PSW-forum and he will turn your boring Microphone - made by unknowing idiots - into a holy grail!

Another tip: Don't ever record, produce or listen! Rather more think of what could be right or wrong by only guessing and reading the web! You better compare Gear you never ever touched and ask people who have also never worked with that gear, but have heard others talk about it! Oh and I forgot to mention: The 963 makes use of Operational-Amplifiers - so it must sound.. hmm.... DIGITAL! Because it has IC's inside! Stay away!!

Sorry I think I'm a bit forum-tired...

Good night...
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

The 963 is a good-sounding console, with smooth EQs, great ergonomics and great build quality. You can also run the inputs hot, if you like that kind of sound, they thicken nicely. so: clean, but definitely not sterile.
Studer usually documented their consoles very well.
As many of them were custom-configured, they usually come with a folder containing diagrams of all the modules used specifically in them, as well as any factory modifications.

@Daniel: if you miss it THAT BAD, we can always talk about it, just drop by....
Old 28th January 2014
i knew that i recognize that desk....if the owner tells you he was the first one than you should be suspicious...

Old 28th January 2014
Gear Maniac

where is this photo taken?
Old 28th January 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekorder View Post
Sorry I think I'm a bit forum-tired...
and some...
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I use one of these on an almost daily basis at my day job (radio station), and although it's a decent console, it is showing its age (was installed in 1993).

Ours has mostly stereo channels, and the first thing to go was that the A/B switches became very unreliable. Since we had an external patchbay and almost no B-side sources, those switches were all bypassed. Fortunately, most of the other switching in the console is via FETs, so the channel assign buttons are reliable.

Pots that rarely get used have become very stiff, often requiring a lot of torque to get moving in the first place. Subtle adjustments are not practical. There does seem to be plenty of clean gain in the pres. I don't generally run the pres into clip as an effect, but something else in the monitor section "snaps" from time to time on peaks. It doesn't get to tape, but is disconcerting just the same. The faders, which are a proprietary Studer type are also showing their age, with some dead spots on some of them.

The other weird feature is the limiters on the groups and master buses. The only way to adjust the threshold is to put the channel on an extender, and adjust a trim pot inside. The limiter does sound reasonably transparent at least. In "comp" mode, you have to do some patching at the patchbay in insert the dynamics in the signal path. Each bus's dynamics can only be used as a limiter or compressor, not both at the same time, no matter what you patch.

The Studer modules are very easy to service, and the signal flow can be reconfigured with jumpers inside. Electronically, this console has been very reliable, with only replacement of a few faders and the monitor level control over the last 20 years.

I'm not so sure I would plunk down 2500€ for one, but maybe it would be worth it if you liked the mojo of the thing. Ours is all XLR I/O, so it would be an easy install (no multi-pins) once you got it located in its new home.

Geoff
Old 29th January 2014
SEED78
you missed out one detail - how much did yours cost when it was installed in 1993? A lot more than 2500€ I'd guess.

when is the last time your console had a service?

the reason why I would say to go for it (IF you can afford to get a little extra work once bought, there is bound to be work needed on a console this old) is that in this specific league of console you only really have more expensive options like Calrec, or Toft, or Siemens etc etc.

on the cheaper side 2nd hand is D&R, the right Amek or a Cadac might be another option - or maybe a really good DDA (don't know enough about them to be sure). Some people talk about the TL Audio consoles being good, others really hate them, but have started to see a few of those for sale recently.
Old 29th January 2014
Quote:
where is this photo taken?
In my old studio in 2009...
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Maniac

thats cool!
What is your name if I may ask?

Which consoles would be in the same league?
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Maniac

what do you think about a amek big by langley?
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do you think about a amek big by langley?
The Studer 963 sounds better than an Amek Big to my ears.

The Studer is big, open and clear with headroom for days.

The Amek Big is, ironically, smaller sounding, less clear and has less headroom.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Maniac

what about the connections on the backside?
Which audio interfave would you recommend for it?
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
what about the connections on the backside?
Which audio interfave would you recommend for it?
On our console, the Direct Outs are on DB25-style multipin connectors.
But the wiring is not to the Tascam Standard (8x3symmetrical lines + 1 unused) but rather 12x2 unbalanced + 1 common ground.
So you may need to have some cabling custom-made.

As for the audio interface: I'd say get the best you can afford and that fulfills your exact needs (lots of threads about THAT subject on GS already.)
Old 3rd February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
rather 12x2 unbalanced + 1 common ground.
The 12x2 are symmetrical lines (+ and -) and the ground is one for all channels. No fun to have a multicore soldered to that kind of plugs... I think there is no unsymmetrical connectors on this desk at all.

For more technical details you can have the manual for free: ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/...63_Op_Serv.pdf
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekorder View Post
The 12x2 are symmetrical lines (+ and -) and the ground is one for all channels. No fun to have a multicore soldered to that kind of plugs... I think there is no unsymmetrical connectors on this desk at all.

For more technical details you can have the manual for free: ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/...63_Op_Serv.pdf
I stand corrected. And thanks for the FTP link!
Old 14th April 2014
Here for the gear

Well, a good desk so far, but I'd say 5.800 Euros is way too much...

Studer 963 Mixing ConsoleStuder 963 Studio Recording Mischpult (wie SSL, Neve oder API)

Plus keyword-spamming...
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry to disagree, but imho IF it's in great condition/restored 5800 euro for a 963 is a GREAT deal.. (of course depends on the config/channel count and condition).

I know Funky Junk UK have one which is in fantastic condition with 12 mono channels and 10 stereo channels.. for a little bit more than that.. totally worthed IMHO. Small modular pwr supply inside the console.. totally noiseless, no fans, no noise..These consoles are fabulous, they were made money no object back then..with the best components avalaible at the time..very very reliable too..(they were 150k+ when new!).

Don't expect the colour of an api, mci or neve desk of course..these are clean sounding boards, not sterile though, but really great sounding. Summing and imaging is great.. Way better than anything else below 30k (probably on par, if not better, with/than a rnd 5088 soundwise speaking) in the today new market IME.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 14th April 2014
Here for the gear

You're not the seller, are you?...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search