The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam DA3000 Digital Converters
Old 18th January 2014
Here for the gear

Tascam DA3000

Hi,

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Tascam DA 3000 can be used as a DA to AD converter? I want to insert my Drawmer 1968/Speck Eq across the mixbus in Logic via my Apogee Ensemble's spdif input/outputs. The DA 3000 conversion quality seems to be held in high regard and it works out cheaper than buying a Mytek or Benchmark DA to AD path. I keep running the signal path thru in my head and can't help but think there's some feedback loop issue in there somewhere. I would be monitoring the final hardware processed mixbus at the end of the signal path via my Benchmark Dac 1. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Since you would select the spdif as input and come out on the analog xlr outputs, your input could only always be selected as the spdif input. Returning the analog output of the eq chain back in to the 3000 box, you have no way to select the returned analog signal from the eq as an input without interrupting your spdif input.
Old 19th January 2014
Here for the gear

Thank you Plush. No one in the Tascam food chain in Australia could unequivocally answer that for me.
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you Plush. No one in the Tascam food chain in Australia could unequivocally answer that for me.
Yes the distributors CMI music are a bunch of guys just taking a pay check.

I am having the same problem with Denon Australia..no one knows anything.

No wonder we look at online and overseas.

Cheers
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Maniac
I don't own the unit, but I looked at the block diagram in the manual and thought that it could act as a simultaneous AD and DA. From the block diagram, it looks like you can select your recording input source as analog and choose to monitor your recording source, which sends that analog signal to the digital outputs. Then there is a separate "ADDA Direct" switch which sends either that signal or the digital inputs directly to the analog outputs. I don't own the unit and maybe I'm misinterpreting the block diagram, but I thought you could do what the OP is suggesting.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Nut

Wow..ric4001..can anyone confirm this..I was just about to buy a 2nd one..just so I could strap a compressor between original dsd stem and a second mastered stem..someone said that its not possible for the tascam to resample its own sound if it leaves the box (can resample pcm itb).but looking at the options theres got to be a way to play a file run it out the outputs thru a compressor and back in to the cf card..maybe if the usb card is playing back while cf is recording? I think this box is non bidirectional it cannot go da-ad. Only ad-da..Cheers
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Think of it from the point of view of the clock when you're using the machine as a loop back from a compressor. Only one input can be associated with the digital clock on the 3000 machine.

It is either the spdif (from Logic computer) input carrying the clock or you switch to the analog input (coming back from the outboard comp.) and use the internal clock.

You cannot use both at the same time.

That is the reason you cannot use the unit as a d/a ===> a/d processor. (without a 2nd. machine)
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Nut

I was saying if you get the sound recorded to the card..unattach the spdif inputs...then press playback..and capture the outpu thru compressor back into analouge inputs..thanks plush definetly makes sense not being able to do that if the spdif is in place but maybe from playback? Cheers
Old 27th January 2014
Gear Nut

Hey ric..you were right!!! Spent about 4 hours trying every combo...most of them just created nasty feedback loop..heres the trick..I dont know if tascam will takeme out for this cause im gouging sales!!! Haha.. basically I came 2 tracks mix digital in..analog outs to neve comp and eq then into analouge ins..set to internal clock. Adda direct on..monitor on..but heres the trick..how do you monitor what your hearing..not from your daw because when the daw is being fed the same signal its looping back..bad noise!! But if you have a seperate headphone amp with digi in...so jist plug the digi out of the tascam into a headphone amp digi in..this will break the feedback loop and you can hit record..I just masterd 4 songs..turning the comp on and off to make sure...and the best part..you can still have src on!!!..for some reason the headphone out on the tascam will not let you monitor the comp eq chain..but digi out will.and if you dont wont to mix to tascam but just run tracks thru it to comp chain amd back into daw..just set up another route but null the monitor or mute the track so it doesnt get back into the original 2buss mix. Or mono track for that matter..so basically the only problem is isolating the returns so it doesnt get back into the outs..unlike the lynx hilo this does not have a built in mixer so you basically have to route and isolate manually.i read a thread on here last night were someone was saying even with the hilo you have to be carefull not to route yourself into a noise fest..so it can be done.cheers
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Maniac
Thanks for confirming my read of the block diagram! Glad to see it can work this way.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Head
Bishbaby, what you wrote is a bit unclear for me. Are you saying you've managed to simultaneously playback and record on this unit, going:
Playback from Tascam D/A -> comp/eq -> Record into Tascam A/D

Or are you saying you went:
Playback from DAW -> Tascam D/A -> comp/eq -> Record into Tascam A/D

Or was it something else still?
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Does this unit have the same AD as the DV-1000 or is it a different design ?
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Same a/d and same d/a as the 1000 machine. They are good parts and they sound very good.

Not in the class of $8000 converters, however. How could they be?

Still it's a high quality TI part.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Same a/d and same d/a as the 1000 machine.
Where did you get this info? Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I originally read this in the Tascam promo material when the machine was introduced.
Also it is on the 3000 machine portion of Tascam's web site. This is very well known info.
Old 25th February 2014
Here for the gear

Ok, thanks to all who have added to this thread, but I'm still a bit confused. Can anyone with a DA 30000 second Bishbaby's setup that looks like he got the DA 3000 to act as a round trip AD-Hardware-DA path out and back into a DAW via the spdif I/O? To be clear I don't wish to record anything into the Tascam. I just want to use its converters. Logic Pro has a hardware I/0 plug that allows you to insert outboard across the mixbus without any feedback issues, so if the the DA 3000 allows AD/DA then I could be one happy camper.

Cheers Scott
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

No, he said he got it to act as a d/a===>a/d.

This is particularly curious and I surely could not figure it out. His solution had to do with using another box and activating the SRC in the 3000. Was it a real solution? I don't know. The way I would do it is to use an external d/a and a/d.

It is easy to use it as an a/d to d/a. That is what it is built to do, just like any digital recorder. On the model of a dat machine.

This whole idea of buying the 3000 box to use it mainly for its converters is an odd stretch to me.
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

Arghhh. Sorry Plush. Got my AD and DA's around the wrong way in my last post. It was in fact a DA - AD path that I was looking for. The reason for my DA 3000 quest was that it's converters appear to be as good as entry level Mytek/Benchmark (DAC 96/DAC 1 etc), it's cheaper in Australia to buy a DA 3000 than separate Mytek/Benchmark conversion by about 30%, it's an elegant 1 box solution and it gives me DSD recording if I ever pursue that down the line.

But you may be right that I'm attempting to shoehorn it's functionality into a process it was never designed to do.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Yes, there is an ADDA Direct mode that allows you to do exactly this – it bypasses the recorder and turns it into a converter only. In this mode, it sends the analog input to all of the digital outputs. It also sends the selected digital input to the analog outs. AD and DA are very high quality in either PCM or DSD mode. AD is different than the DV-RA1000, the DA-3000 has a PCM4202 inside.
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

Good news! Thanks synthetic.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Tascam has removed from their web site the reference about the #3000 machine a/d and the d/a converters being the same as the 1000 machine. GS posts made it "hot in the kitchen" for them!

It appears that the original info in the TASCAM brochure was not correct.

a/d converter in the old machine was Burr-Brown 1804, d/a was 1792.
3000 machine uses a Burr-Brown PCM 4202 a/d and a Burr-Brown PCM 1795 d/a chip.

After a little detective work, here you can see what was used in the older 1000 machine:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/...VRA1000FAQ.pdf

Audio performance is slightly improved over the old machine.

I have just received my own machine here so I look forward to using it for 192 and dsd recording.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have just received my own machine here so I look forward to using it for 192 and dsd recording.
Plush, please do write at least a quick review when you put it through its paces.
Old 4th March 2014
I been using the 1000 HD as a D/A and D/A both ways great results more clarity on the mid range
Old 15th April 2014
Got a couple questions for you DA-3000 users. A friend of mine recently upgraded her mobile rig with one of these units. Sound quality has been great so far, especially in DSD. However it's having a problem during playback use. When hovering in paused or stopped mode it will randomly start playback and does so in fast-forward. She has a dual redundant recording rig, but needless to say her confidence in this brand new device has been severely diminished after that behavior.

The firmware version is still 1.00 and this brings me to my questions. Is this a known issue that the latest firmware will fix? Also the manual only states to use a CF card for the update, but she has a SDHC card. I assume we can also use the SDHC card, but she doesn't have a card reader yet. So is it possible to do the update via a USB drive? We contacted Tascam last week to ask, but no response yet. We just don't want to F up the firmware update and make the unit unstartable.
Old 19th April 2014
Heard back from Tascam the other day. Looks like the firmware update is only possible using the CF card. Just a heads up if you are planning on buying a single card for the DA-3000.

Also they had never seen the "randomly starts playing in FF" issue that we are having. So we decided to return this unit and exchange it for another one. Since it's for a mobile recording rig, failure (or weird behavior) is not an option. We also ordered a CF card and a reader so that we can do the update.
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Nut

Clambake ...synthetic is right..this can be used as a loopback from daw. I havent played with the tascam for a awhile but I will run through it again and give specifics..ric001 was right and if you browse the schematic you will see its possible..if I remeber correctly you just have to take tje tascam spdif out and put it into a headphone amp or something that can monitor spdif with external clock. Its basically breaking the nasty feedback loop(and allowing you to hear realtime changes on the comp/eq chain). And also when setting up the way I described. The tascams headphones outs are muted/ you cannot hear whats going on with the comp eq.you can only hear the original inbound daw signal. Hence breaking the feedback loop with a headphone amp.2 birds with one stone.1 monitor changes realtime.2.break the loop...cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search