The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A17m......Don't let that little woofer fool you Studio Monitors
Old 4th January 2015
I guess my point is that you are both agreeing they are rolled off on top (whether you use the terms 'not as present' 'rolled off' or 'smooth'). I dont think there is any argument that they dont have a great deal of low extension. For me, that leaves the mid-forward (if the top is back and the bottom is back isn't the mid forward???). I guess it seems it doesn't mean that to either of you. I'm sure others can ascribe their own meaning to the words.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Guru

I didn't find them shy on the bottom. But I'll shut up now......
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I didn't find them shy on the bottom. But I'll shut up now......
I see you are in th UK. Come visit some time. A/B them with the ATCs. Then decide.

Old 4th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I see you are in th UK. Come visit some time. A/B them with the ATCs. Then decide.

What SCM110 ASL's? Not sure I need to come up north to realise those have more bottom than A17's....
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

I wonder would the A17 be a good monitor to complete with my Trident HG3s ?
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Is it possible to add some db's to the tweeter to make them sound more like Genelec's?
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 View Post
Is it possible to add some db's to the tweeter to make them sound more like Genelec's?
If you want them to sound like Genelecs... buy Genelecs.
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
What SCM110 ASL's? Not sure I need to come up north to realise those have more bottom than A17's....
So you agree the A17 rolls off on the bottom then. And the top. Leaving the mid range more forward than the top and bottom. Thank you.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So you agree the A17 rolls off on the bottom then. And the top. Leaving the mid range more forward than the top and bottom. Thank you.
Splitting hairs much? For a speaker of that size, no, I don't really think they roll off bottom unduly. Compared with double 9" ATC's in big boxes, well, sure. Anyway, all good.
Old 4th January 2015
Its hard to imagine how a speaker can be so detailed and yet you cant be sure what to do next in the mixing process. I havent heard or used PSI. Does it mean they dont sound unpleasant enough when needed?
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Its hard to imagine how a speaker can be so detailed and yet you cant be sure what to do next in the mixing process. I havent heard or used PSI. Does it mean they dont sound unpleasant enough when needed?
A speaker telling you what to do has zero to do with 'unpleasant'.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
PSI monitors are brilliant in the way that they provide a relatively neutral reference (that is room dependant, of course), as well as providing a lot of detail. And all of this without really giving any opinion about right or wrong steps in the mixing process.

However, some people may find that the "no strong opinion, and leave all options open" approach of PSI monitors can cause you to hesitate about which technique to apply next in the mixing process. So you need some experience and confidence in your own mixing methodology if you want to use PSI monitors as your main mixing reference. The other option is to combine using PSI monitors with a second reference monitor pair that is much more opinionated, such as Questeds or ProAcs.
Old 5th January 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
For a speaker of that size, no, I don't really think they roll off bottom unduly.
Agreed.

They are not light in the low end, quite the contrary for their size.

War
Old 5th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Agreed.

They are not light in the low end, quite the contrary for their size.

War
To be clear, while they are very light in comparison to the ATCs, my shoot-out was with three similar size speakers. In direct comparison to the Unity Rocks and the PMC 226, I found them light.
Old 5th January 2015
Quote:
A speaker telling you what to do has zero to do with 'unpleasant'.
I guess atleast for eqing it should be obvious what to do. Low mid clout sounds 'suffocating' , nosy-ness sounds like a strain above the eyes , and 2k harshness sounds like a pain in the ear etc .. So thats what I mean by sounding 'unpleasant'..
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
I guess atleast for eqing it should be obvious what to do. Low mid clout sounds 'suffocating' , nosy-ness sounds like a strain above the eyes , and 2k harshness sounds like a pain in the ear etc .. So thats what I mean by sounding 'unpleasant'..
You need to be able to hear when something is wrong and notice it, sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search