The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EAR660 discontinued for new?
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

EAR660 discontinued for new?

I want to buy EAR-660 for new. Which is best seller?
Pls let me know it. Thank you for help!!
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

I'm in U.S.

Does anyone know store in U.K?
I need it for cheaper than $12,000.00..
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

look for one used. and wait... or look for a different compressor... there are certainly other less expensive options that are arguably comparable.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

the new prices are insanely high.
12K is just silly.
it makes me think Tim isn't very interested in really making new ones..make them so ridiculously overpriced so no one will order.
I bought a used pair for $8200.00.
sound great but very fussy to change settings on the fly.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

Call Mark Thompson at Funky Junk in London. He is a very good dealer for Tim's stuff. Mark will get you the best deal in the world. He is in regular contact with Tim de Paravicini.

Or call up Tim and ask him.
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

Can not find the used at this time..
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by srr323 View Post
Can not find the used at this time..
Be patient they show up eventually.
Or way overpay and buy new.might be a long lead time as well.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Overrated limiter, in my opinion.

- c
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Overrated limiter, in my opinion.

- c
Boooo

heh
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Boooo

heh
Sorry to be that dick that comes into the thread and poops on everyone's enthusiasm!

I rented one for a week once and I found it cottony and cloudy and kind of an extreme version of the vari-mu tonality.

I suppose it's possible I had a faulty or poorly serviced unit --- the rental place I used (Dreamhire, now defunct) didn't have the greatest reputation for maintenance --- but I came away unimpressed.

That was my wholly subjective impression.

Sorry to be the typical GS bummer dude! I try to avoid it when I can.

- c
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

dunno what the issue was but bad tubes can easily ruin your whole day...
Old 15th January 2014
i have a 660 that was refurbed by david bock. it sounds amazingly big and clear. the tube units i have a/b'd it with are a retro 176, retro 1242, pendulum 6386 and inward connections tsl-3. it was the biggest one. it wasn't cheap to have it refurbed. don't know if it's worth the new asking price.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

I own a pair of 660s. I also own and use some of the better units available both new and vintage. The 660 is very fickle to adjust, to the point of being super irritating. That being said, it has a unique sound especially on vocals that is unmatched by anything else I have ever used (including that other 660 people like by Fairchild which btw there is only a vague relationship at best). It brings a hi fi version of the meat of a vocal (especially in males) out in the most incredible way. Once you get it, there is no substitute.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by srr323 View Post
I want to buy EAR-660 for new. I need it for cheaper than $12,000.00..
littlefishaudio sells one for $9,484.00.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I rented one for a week once and I found it cottony and cloudy and kind of an extreme version of the vari-mu tonality.
Based on that quote alone I can join the rest of the chorus and say there was definitely something wrong with that unit. That is exactly the opposite of how EAR 660s sound. If you are given another opportunity to check out a properly maintained one do it
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have had a pair of 660s since 2003.

For piano they can be magic. We had a piano track that was slightly annoying in the mid range. Nothing could get it quite right until the 660. Just one example.

Vocals... they are legendary.

PS. $12k each seems a little rich. Put a wanted ad for $6k each and see if you get some bites.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

...or try any one of a myriad of compressors from the same family. Thermionic Culture Phoenix, etc.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
...or try any one of a myriad of compressors from the same family. Thermionic Culture Phoenix, etc.
. The Phoenix sounds great, but it doesn't do the same thing as the 660. I'm not saying the 660 is a hands down winner over the Phoenix, but if I want that thing the 660 does, the Phoenix is not a suitable substitute
Really there is no cloudiness to the 660 at all. I tend to agree that you might have tried a funky one. If anything, I tend to find it super clean in a beautiful way (if that makes sense) which is also why I often use it instead of a Fairchild in vocal situations (the Fairchild tending to add a bit of beautiful weight to things at times which is gorgeous on bass, overheads, in fact many things...)
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on that quote alone I can join the rest of the chorus and say there was definitely something wrong with that unit. That is exactly the opposite of how EAR 660s sound. If you are given another opportunity to check out a properly maintained one do it
Definitely. I've wanted a pair forever after hearing them in action in a mastering session (many times). I've never heard anything like them. They are the opposite of cloudy. Huge, bold and clear is what I'd say. If I could find a pair for 8k used I'd buy them.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Guru

I had a pair of Ears and the thermionic phoenix.
the Ears kinda stomped the Phoenix..bigger,richer more euphonic overall.
I sold the Phoenix after I got those.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had a pair of Ears and the thermionic phoenix.
the Ears kinda stomped the Phoenix..bigger,richer more euphonic overall.
I sold the Phoenix after I got those.
+1 My Phoenix lasted only 6 months before I sold it. Not only it didn't touch the EARs but the color was not for me. Of course some ppl love theirs so YMMV.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
+1 My Phoenix lasted only 6 months before I sold it. Not only it didn't touch the EARs but the color was not for me. Of course some ppl love theirs so YMMV.
or by Ear comparison lack thereof.
I found the phoenix to be fairly transparent/clean.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Inward tsl does fairchildy thingsy
Old 16th January 2014
Do yourself a favor and check out the Greg Hanks BA-660 instead of the EAR unit. It is less money and you will get more. I would save the hassle in finding a new EAR 660. I don't think they build these very fast. Or even in reasonable time frames. I have used the EAR 660 more than a few times.

It was a joyful experience, but I think I would put my money in other units instead, [Hanks 660, Electronaut M97 [when it comes out] Mercury M66, InnerTUBE Atomic Squeeze, Fearn VT7, RETRO Sta, RETRO 176. And, there is the Tube Equipment Corp box..Larry's SR71, which is a stereo Variable MU of the highest order, for $7000 USD.

*Now all these units....really warm up my underpants! Just my personal taste. Don't get me wrong, I liked the EAR unit and thought it was special in sound and compression, but I just didn't find it worth all that marked up money. I personally would look elsewhere.

With a Box like the Hanks 660, you will get more for your money. And will need to spend less of it [IME: the Hanks 660 sounds bigger, badder and bolder than the EAR 660]..Also you will get good factory support on the product from a guy that really cares about his customers happiness!

This unit will give you a more extensive compressor/limiter that is just as good as the EAR unit. +Plus a Mic/Line amplifier that is truly untouchable by anything else on the planet. I hear Greg has just one unit left in stock before the next batch is produced.

peace
a.j.b
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

ah how much i would like a shootout between all those big vary mu type of limiters. starting with a fairchild 660, 670, ear, down to my huble 176s...
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

curious how the Old World Audio U33 compares with above lot. Anyone compared it?
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
curious how the Old World Audio U33 compares with above lot. Anyone compared it?
I'd love to hear one.
I'm just not down with their "buy to try" policy.
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

I hear ya. didn't you sell your EARs?
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
ah how much i would like a shootout between all those big vary mu type of limiters. starting with a fairchild 660, 670, ear, down to my huble 176s...
Oh man those are very different both compression and color wise... I have a pair of EARs, 176s and a Fairchild 660... maybe you could compare the EAR to the fairchild but the 176 is a completely different animal. The Fairchild is more hairy (mojo) than the EAR and not as fast. It can't crush drums like the EAR but it is more transparent compression-wise on most sources. If I had another 660 I'd still prefer the EARs on the buss. Especially if I'm hitting the 176s beforehand... that's a killer combo in my studio.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search