The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives?

I recently bought another Neumann U87ai for a very good price but it did not come with a shock mount. Does anyone out there know of any alternatives to the $300+ original ones? I really can't see spending that much money on a rubber band and some threaded pot metal.

Let me know what kind of solutions you all have had in the past!

Thanks!
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Addict

Peluso makes one for much less
Old 14th January 2014
Spo
Gear Head

we use a U1 Cloud universal mount and it works very well.
Old 14th January 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

I bought a Peluso. It's pretty much ****e but I paid $75 instead of over $400. I'd prefer an aftermarket screw in type over the friction mount thats for sure. The flet started peeling the day day I used my Peluso
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Addict

I used a Gauge shockmount one day too which also kind of wasn't great
Old 14th January 2014

Alternate shockmount for U87?
Attached Thumbnails
Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives?-87shock-2.jpg  
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

The Rycote USM's work great with U87s (and a whole lot of other mics too):

InVision
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I recently bought another Neumann U87ai for a very good price but it did not come with a shock mount. Does anyone out there know of any alternatives to the $300+ original ones? I really can't see spending that much money on a rubber band and some threaded pot metal.

Let me know what kind of solutions you all have had in the past!

Thanks!
The Rycote USM is perfect for the U87.

Much cheaper and actually better than the Neumann original.
Old 14th January 2014
I use the Rycote USM too for the U87, works perfect.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

That Rycote unit looks very interesting. Anyone every put dents into their mic body using that type of a thumb screw system? I know the U87 mic body is not one of the most robust so before ordering I thought I should ask.

Thanks for the link too!
Old 14th January 2014
For a long time I used the Peluso which worked absolutely fine, and then someone on GS pointed me at this chinese shock mount that was a copy of the Neumann, screws into the base of the mic, it was cheap but it's been completely reliable
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

I just noticed on the Rycote Mic Compatibility Chart that they say the 87ai is 56mm in diameter and the chart shows compatible with the USM-L and the USM models. However, the data for the USM model says it is for mics that are up to 55mm in diameter.

They are also showing a USM-VB that it states is for mics from 55-68mm in diameter. Should I order the USM-VB or just the regular USM model? Does the 1mm size difference make that much of a difference?
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
That Rycote unit looks very interesting. Anyone every put dents into their mic body using that type of a thumb screw system? I know the U87 mic body is not one of the most robust so before ordering I thought I should ask.

Thanks for the link too!
The Rycote USM holds the mic. very tightly with just a light touch.

So you screw up the pads until they touch the mic. and the mic. is held very firmly.

No need to over-tighten.

The clamps and materials used were very carefully designed from the very start to hold well without any damage to the mic.

You can only damage the mic. with misuse.

I have several USMs - it's a superb product.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just noticed on the Rycote Mic Compatibility Chart that they say the 87ai is 56mm in diameter and the chart shows compatible with the USM-L and the USM models. However, the data for the USM model says it is for mics that are up to 55mm in diameter.

They are also showing a USM-VB that it states is for mics from 55-68mm in diameter. Should I order the USM-VB or just the regular USM model? Does the 1mm size difference make that much of a difference?
The original USM was specifically designed so that it would take a U87.

Bear in mind that the 56mm diameter is the U87 at its *widest* point - the mic. tapers and the holding points would be narrower than this, probably only 53 or 54mm, maybe even less.

There is no problem with the U87 in a USM or USM-L (USM if angled, USM-L if held vertical).
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

i have 2 of these Microphones | Enhanced Audio | M600 Microphone | Microphones for Sale ... very interesting .. i noticed a clarity using them on my large diaphragm mics .. just make sure you get one that your mic will fit into .. a couple different sizes ... might be worth a look ... cheers john
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i have 2 of these Microphones | Enhanced Audio | M600 Microphone | Microphones for Sale ... very interesting .. i noticed a clarity using them on my large diaphragm mics .. just make sure you get one that your mic will fit into .. a couple different sizes ... might be worth a look ... cheers john
But be aware that these are NOT shock-mounts - they are the exact opposite and hard-couple the microphone to the floor.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for all of the info guys. Much appreciated. I just got a note back from Vintage King and they were a bit confused by the data I saw too so they went looking for other info. Pretty much came up with the USM-L as a solution too.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

John is right here ... i should have been more specific ... thx for the clarity for the OP ...
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

I was complaining about this yesterday when my RE-20 mount broke. It seems the cost of the mount is always 15%-20% of the cost of the microphone, with a lot of mounts being rather pathetic and poorly function IE. MD421
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

well I just figured I would try out this one from China. Pretty cheap cost wise but it only has to hold a mic, not survive a category 5 tornado so I figured it was worth a shot. It looks like they come with different screws for the different mics too....which is pretty cool as long as it works!
Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives?Mic Shock Mount for Neumann U87 U89I TLM193 TLM103 08 | eBay
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

OK...Now onto my next question....I have the storage box for my newest addition to the mic locker but I would also like to get a flight case that the wooden storage box and the shock mount can fit into....Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch to everyone and the folks at Vintage King for doing some research for me and shedding some light on my options.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
well I just figured I would try out this one from China. Pretty cheap cost wise but it only has to hold a mic, not survive a category 5 tornado so I figured it was worth a shot. It looks like they come with different screws for the different mics too....which is pretty cool as long as it works!
Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives?Mic Shock Mount for Neumann U87 U89I TLM193 TLM103 08 | eBay
I'm surprised that you went for such a cheapo mount for such a good mic. - it's like putting second-hand retreads on a Porsche

Especially as the USM is about a quarter of the price of the Neumann original (well, in the UK it is) and actually works *better*!
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
OK...Now onto my next question....I have the storage box for my newest addition to the mic locker but I would also like to get a flight case that the wooden storage box and the shock mount can fit into....Any suggestions?
I get all my flight cases custom made by a local case company.

Though, when I want to be a cheapskate, I will buy a cheapo case from Maplin (Radio Shack in the US?) and then take that to the case company for custom foaming. I have done this for some of my microphones that will only be carried by me and not thrown about too much.
Old 14th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I'm surprised that you went for such a cheapo mount for such a good mic. - it's like putting second-hand retreads on a Porsche

Especially as the USM is about a quarter of the price of the Neumann original (well, in the UK it is) and actually works *better*!
Well I probably have the same mount it's a copy of the Neumann mount it's screws into the body of the mic just like the Neumann, which in my opinion is
insultingly overpriced and always has been. I've had mine for well over a year and it's been as solid and reliable before, that I used the Peluso which was OK, I prefer that this screws into the body.
I support microphone manufacturers for the mics that they make but Neumann has been substantially over charging for these for a very very long time.
The USM does look like a nice shock mount, what I would really like is a combo of a shock mount and ADJUSTABLE pop filter that clips onto the mount. As in being able to vary the distance between the pop filter and the mic not just up and down.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post

I figured if this unit works decently then I saved $50 even over the USM units. If it doesn't work well, it is at least adaptable to other sizes of mics I own and I can use it for one of them and then order the USM model for the U87. Either way not a big deal and I am still money ahead of buying the original Neumann model.

As far as the cases go, I can cut all of my own foam and reline the cases with velvet as long as I can find a decent case to begin with. Being a live sound guy for 20+ years I got pretty good a refitting and refoaming cases. I just need to find a decent one that doesn't cost $500.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Well I probably have the same mount it's a copy of the Neumann mount it's screws into the body of the mic just like the Neumann, which in my opinion is
insultingly overpriced and always has been. I've had mine for well over a year and it's been as solid and reliable before, that I used the Peluso which was OK, I prefer that this screws into the body.
I support microphone manufacturers for the mics that they make but Neumann has been substantially over charging for these for a very very long time.
The USM does look like a nice shock mount, what I would really like is a combo of a shock mount and ADJUSTABLE pop filter that clips onto the mount. As in being able to vary the distance between the pop filter and the mic not just up and down.
I agree 100%. I think you may have just found your million dollar idea!
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Well I probably have the same mount it's a copy of the Neumann mount it's screws into the body of the mic just like the Neumann, which in my opinion is insultingly overpriced and always has been..
Expensive, yes - but "insultingly overpriced", I don't think so.

Pricing is down to high quality manufacture of a small number of units in Germany where such things are expensive - and similar products from other quality microphone manufacturers are a similar price.

So, it's not just Neumann.

Make something in the Far East with sweat-shop labour, of course it's going to be cheaper - especially if you design it for a larger number of microphones and make a lot more.

It's just down to straight forward economics.

Though, personally, I have now ditched all my manufacturer mounts and just use the Rycote USM and InVision series as they are technically much better as well as being much cheaper - but it was the "better" that made the decision, not the "cheaper" bit.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

I am all for better mounts too but since I could use a few others I went with the cheaper Chinese made one. If this cheaper one works out then great! If not, well then I'll possibly end up buying all USM mounts anyway. But since it only cost me about $50 to find out if this mount is to my liking, it is just not a big deal to me either way. If it works out that I like it a lot, then maybe I'll buy more of the Chinese ones for some of my other mics too.

Either way it beats spending nearly $400 for just the one Neumann shock mount and we can all end up learning from each others experience.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear
We just bought a couple of Neumann shockmounts for TLM103s a few months ago, and I'll be amazed if they last more than a couple of years. I tried to convince the techs to buy Rycote USMs, but they weren't having any of it. That being said, the false economy of using a $50 shockmount to hold up a $3000 microphone is a bit baffling to me. Sure, it's cheap, and that's all well and good, but what happens when it breaks and your fancy heavy microphone falls on the floor, and costs you a boatload of cash to fix?
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnytofu View Post
We just bought a couple of Neumann shockmounts for TLM103s a few months ago, and I'll be amazed if they last more than a couple of years. I tried to convince the techs to buy Rycote USMs, but they weren't having any of it. That being said, the false economy of using a $50 shockmount to hold up a $3000 microphone is a bit baffling to me. Sure, it's cheap, and that's all well and good, but what happens when it breaks and your fancy heavy microphone falls on the floor, and costs you a boatload of cash to fix?
Not really sure how you get the term "false economy" on this topic but I think you are actually referring to the "insurance value" of having a more expensive mount versus a cheaper one and I get that. When I ran a motocross race team we used to say that if you put your head in a $50 helmet then your head is only worth $50. Same concept applies here.

However if you look at the actual materials and manufacturing cost for what the mounts are actually made of the cost of building a few molds and casting some simple parts is much less expensive than building a microphone. Using your logic of 'false economy' I would have been better off buying the Neumann mount for almost $400 because by sheer percentage of cost the Neumann should be the best mount.

More expensive doesn't always mean better. Having said that, cheaper is usually worse! If the Chinese mount I purchased is not up to the task I'll buy a USM or five. However spending $50 on a mount is cheap research in my book.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search