The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neuman U87 Shock Mount Alternatives? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

That's pretty good! I have a few old shock mounts laying around. I should see if I can cobble something together like this.
Old 5th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording View Post
Try and build one yourself........and count the hours.

Have you seen the price of Harley Davidson parts in Europe these days?
Your logic is absurd, first I don't have a metal shop. Second Rycote makes a mount for a third the cost that everyone thinks is BETTER. It would be one thing if these things fell apart, but so far EVERYONE who has one is fine with it. The cost of a mic made in germany by a company with a rich tradition of making wonderful mics is one thing, but a shock mount...... please.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Your logic is absurd, first I don't have a metal shop. Second Rycote makes a mount for a third the cost that everyone thinks is BETTER. It would be one thing if these things fell apart, but so far EVERYONE who has one is fine with it. The cost of a mic made in germany by a company with a rich tradition of making wonderful mics is one thing, but a shock mount...... please.
I agree 100%. The Chinese mounts work just fine and are actually more robust than the way over priced Neumann mounts. Another thing to consider in your response above to the last poster, is that if Neumann has enough kick ass engineers to build world class mics (electronics and metal work), a shock mount should be a very simple project.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
...The Chinese mounts work just fine and are actually more robust than the way over priced Neumann mounts...
That's not been my experience (that is they have been pretty hit and miss, which is not what I look for in a shock mount for an expensive mic).

Despite the price (putting the *shock* in shock mounts), the quality control and engineering of the Neumann mounts is appropriate to the task. The Rycote mounts referenced here also work well.
Old 10th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
That's not been my experience (that is they have been pretty hit and miss, which is not what I look for in a shock mount for an expensive mic).

Despite the price (putting the *shock* in shock mounts), the quality control and engineering of the Neumann mounts is appropriate to the task. The Rycote mounts referenced here also work well.
No one should say the Neumann mount isn't well made. But is in my opinion also overpriced. And the chinese mount I've been using I've been using for years now with absolutely, no issues. But if it makes you feel better to pay 400 dollars go for it.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have 2 of the Rycote mounts and they are excellent nad each cost me about $110. I have about 5 of the Neumann mounts and they are also excellent but have cost me as much as $300!. I have two of the Chinese Neumann knock off and they cost me about $50 each. Just sayin that they are a much better deal than the Neumanns but the Rycotes are a very good value as well.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

It seems you guys have been lucky with your knock-off shock mounts. We were not so lucky with the two we tried and got rid of them. One arrived with a broken joint and we sent it back for a replacement. The replacement arrived but stripped its clamp screw thread when being tightened about the third or fourth time we used it. Another one (different supplier, but similar design and probably the same manufacturer - who knows...) didn't strip, but even when tightened to a significant degree would allow the mic to drift forward (change angle) gradually under its own weight.

As I recall, one of them also had some rough sections around several of its joints (which we filed off so they wouldn't scratch fingers or gear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
...But if it makes you feel better to pay 400 dollars go for it.
Nope, that's not it. We were happy to try for the cheaper solution - until the results were in - after which the "solution" did not prove to have been cheaper at all, since we got rid of them anyway. Glad your experience has been a happier one, and hope that will continue to be the case for you. We will not be going there again, however.

As I said, we also have a couple of the Rycote mounts (RY044901), which are a different design. The Rycote mounts were a little more expensive than the knock-offs (we paid around AUD$150 each including shipping in 2010), but they have worked fine and haven't had the kinds of issues we experienced with others, as recounted here.
Old 11th November 2015
Quote:
It seems you guys have been lucky with your knock-off shock mounts. We were not so lucky with the two we tried and got rid of them. One arrived with a broken joint and we sent it back for a replacement. The replacement arrived but stripped its clamp screw thread when being tightened about the third or fourth time we used it. Another one (different supplier, but similar design and probably the same manufacturer - who knows...) didn't strip, but even when tightened to a significant degree would allow the mic to drift forward (change angle) gradually under its own weight.

As I recall, one of them also had some rough sections around several of its joints (which we filed off so they wouldn't scratch fingers or gear).

Nope, that's not it. We were happy to try for the cheaper solution - until the results were in - after which the "solution" did not prove to have been cheaper at all, since we got rid of them anyway. Glad your experience has been a happier one, and hope that will continue to be the case for you. We will not be going there again, however.

As I said, we also have a couple of the Rycote mounts (RY044901), which are a different design. The Rycote mounts were a little more expensive than the knock-offs (we paid around AUD$150 each including shipping in 2010), but they have worked fine and haven't had the kinds of issues we experienced with others, as recounted here.
Well that's not my experience with the chinese mount. It fits and works fine, holds the mic fine, it came with different clamps to screw onto other Neumann mics.
I'd still point out the Rycote mount is substantially less expensive than the Neumann, which goes to my main point that the Neumann is overpriced. The mount's I've had trouble with were the Pearlman mount for my TM1 and the Soundelux mount. The Pearlman mount doesn't screw onto the mic easily, and sometimes it doesn't hold the angle you put it at. The Soundelux mount came apart and I replaced it with a Peluso mount which has been working fine for years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search