The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Pres based on Trident A range Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
hows about Ocean Audio ?
I have their 500 series pre 1 and EQ 1, and they are phenomenal sounding, and totally under the radar. They are built on the 80B / MTA design, and are a different animal, very gritty with lots of attitude, not at all like the A-Range. But Malcolm Toft has just released a Signature Series, which I plan on getting, and it looks like it might be A-Range based, but I don't know for sure.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
I primarily do solo guitar in stereo, and if I had 2x channels of it I would of kept it, plus I thought the chance of finding another one would not be very easy, and I wasn't confident that if I did find one it would sound the same, since mine had just been rebuilt with NOS parts. Also, that kind of thing belongs in a pro studio getting constant use in recording albums, and not in a home studio, in my personal opinion.
I see, that makes sense. I was just curious.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
I have their 500 series pre 1 and EQ 1, and they are phenomenal sounding, and totally under the radar. They are built on the 80B / MTA design, and are a different animal, very gritty with lots of attitude, not at all like the A-Range. But Malcolm Toft has just released a Signature Series, which I plan on getting, and it looks like it might be A-Range based, but I don't know for sure.
Cool thanks for the clarification .
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
hows about Ocean Audio ?
Ocean Audio offers the Signature Three.
This is a dual-channel, fully discrete, 4-band inductive EQ.

The Signature Three is not based on the Trident A-Range, but there are some similarities.
The Trident A-Range only offers 2-bands of inductive EQ.
Hi and low bands are shelving.
The Ocean Audio Signature Three is a real four band inductive EQ.
As far as we know, the Signature Three is the only 4-band inductive EQ on the market (but please correct us if we are wrong).

If you like the A-Range or any of the reissues, then you'll most likely like the Signature Three a lot.
You may want to give it a try if you are looking for a silky smooth EQ.

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio

PS: Ocean Audio is founded by Malcolm Toft, the original designer of the A-Range
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno W View Post
Ocean Audio offers the Signature Three.
This is a dual-channel, fully discrete, 4-band inductive EQ.

The Signature Three is not based on the Trident A-Range, but there are some similarities.
The Trident A-Range only offers 2-bands of inductive EQ.
Hi and low bands are shelving.
The Ocean Audio Signature Three is a real four band inductive EQ.
As far as we know, the Signature Three is the only 4-band inductive EQ on the market (but please correct us if we are wrong).

If you like the A-Range or any of the reissues, then you'll most likely like the Signature Three a lot.
You may want to give it a try if you are looking for a silky smooth EQ.

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio

PS: Ocean Audio is founded by Malcolm Toft, the original designer of the A-Range
Thank you Bruno ! I have my eye on the 500 series Mic Pre One . I was wondering if the 1/4" goes through the input transformer , from reading the description it seems so but still wondering . Also how would you describe this pre for DI bass and guitar tracking ? Thanks again
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

The Sowter 7456F has been confirmed very close sonically.
CH to RCH from Zutt.
Prodigy has a few repro builds for A-Range preamps and full channels.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you Bruno ! I have my eye on the 500 series Mic Pre One . I was wondering if the 1/4" goes through the input transformer , from reading the description it seems so but still wondering . Also how would you describe this pre for DI bass and guitar tracking ? Thanks again
The 1/4" does not go through the input transformer as the impedance is low because it is designed for a microphone. An instrument requires a much higher impedance so it has it's own high impedance amplifier designed to match pickups etc. So it is very good as an instrument input and is therefore ideal for a bass guitar as an example.

The 1/4" signal goes through the variable high pass filter which can be very useful and also through the output transformer which obviously adds some 'character'.

I hope this answers your question.

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno W View Post
The 1/4" does not go through the input transformer as the impedance is low because it is designed for a microphone. An instrument requires a much higher impedance so it has it's own high impedance amplifier designed to match pickups etc. So it is very good as an instrument input and is therefore ideal for a bass guitar as an example.

The 1/4" signal goes through the variable high pass filter which can be very useful and also through the output transformer which obviously adds some 'character'.

I hope this answers your question.

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Excellent ! Thank you Sir ! And thank you for that email with the great first hand knowledge of tracking with this and of your bassists it was very helpful and was just what I wanted to hear before pulling the trigger this morning should arrive next week sometime and will complete my lunchbox Cheers , Scott
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Addict

look what just arrived from Alto

did quick test and I love it , it's very strong and clear but with a grit to it that is simply killer ,
especially on a rock bass sound I got instant Geddy right out of the box . I'll be using this a lot !
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Maniac

I really like the trident pres a lot I've also used the p-1 by a designs really cool sound it would depend on what your using it for for it to sound like the trident but they sound great
I put the Gtr direct and I did not see much of difference but when I used a vocal mic it really showed its character I guess that's what I mean about what you put thru the device
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

I'm stumbling on this thread like 5 years later but for the sake of the passerby, Advanced Audio has since built the MT8016, which is basically a modified Trident preamp, and... it is BAD A$$.
Old 20th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspade.com View Post
I'm stumbling on this thread like 5 years later but for the sake of the passerby, Advanced Audio has since built the MT8016, which is basically a modified Trident preamp, and... it is BAD A$$.
That doesn't surprise me. Malcolm Toft was involved I believe.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

That AA MT8016 preamp is a Trident 80 series design, which really has nothing in common with the A-Range.
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Trident A range and Trident 80 preamps really do sound VERY different from one another. Fundamentally very different designs.
Old 22nd March 2019
I have a series 80 in now. The mic preamp is very similar to the Flexmix. It's two series-connected inverting 071 opamp stages. By design the loading on the transformer secondary will vary with the gain settings. That creates a variable transient response with overshoot at lower gains and undershoot at higher gains.

That is corrected here by changing the first opamp stage to a non-inverting design with a fixed load on the transformer secondary. Then proper loading/capacitor tuning can be used to optimize the transient response. It also lowers the noise floor by several db's.
Old 22nd March 2019
Oram always takes credit for the 80 series. Malcolm was apparently more involved in the A Range. Who knows what though with Trident history.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search