The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harrison guys heres a question Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 11th January 2014
Harrison guys heres a question

Anyone with a series 32 or 24. I'm sure many of you have seen my posts about the nightmares I have encountered refurbishing my series 32. The good news is that it is almost fully functioning after years of work and money. I am super grateful for the advice you guys have given.

One problem I still have is that when switching module status modes on the group master channel, there is a super loud pop. Its so loud I have to make sure my speakers are off when changing modes so I don't blow them. My tech can't figure out why this is happening. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how was it resolved?

Thanks
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Guru

My MR3 and TV3 does the same when switching, maybe not as loud as you mentioned and they are not as loud since my tech replaced some parts. My compressors catch the peaks and I don't have to turn off monitors but I do turn them down, I did have static on some of those switches until my tech found some faulty parts and cleared that up.
I am not gonna say they are a cure for that, I rarely ever switch mine or maybe I would be more concerned.
The switches you are talking about is in my monitor module which all 3 modules work together as you know ?

Maybe it's a Harrison thing, hopefully some other will weigh in.
Old 13th January 2014
Mine is pretty bad, I have pretty much trained myself to turn the speakers off when switching, but would love to fix it.
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Guru

I will try to get in touch with my tech to see what the issue was.
Old 16th January 2014
great thanks
Old 16th January 2014
Telefunk, are you out there?
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Guru

I will be getting with him this weekend hopefully, all he did as far as I know was replaced some caps and maybe a couple chips, send me a personal email through PM ad I will send you a video of mine switching the different ones in a row and you can see if you think they are a big difference, I have a monitoring system so I don't use them but before I had them fix some were loud noise and switching was very loud unlike now.
I also perhaps you should have all 3 modules looked at again, see if you have a cold solder joint, or somehow your tech missed a bad cap or chip.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Just a thought: The reason could be because the change of status is controlled with different voltages and the change from one to another (-18v to -24v) causes instability due to driep cap in the status circuit.

I don't remember how it works exactly now, but let me check the schematics next week.

My Harrison doesnt make any noise when changing status.
Old 18th January 2014
Thanks thats amazing of you to do. Hey Telefunk I was wondering how you fit the API mic pres on your channel strips I was talking to my tech about getting a couple.

My console is really coming along now, almost finished. I have gotten great advice from a couple of you, especially the fader cleaning advice. I thought I would have to replace all of my faders and now they sound as if they are brand new. I know I said it earlier in the thread but thank you all so much.
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintytowel View Post
Thanks thats amazing of you to do. Hey Telefunk I was wondering how you fit the API mic pres on your channel strips I was talking to my tech about getting a couple.

My console is really coming along now, almost finished. I have gotten great advice from a couple of you, especially the fader cleaning advice. I thought I would have to replace all of my faders and now they sound as if they are brand new. I know I said it earlier in the thread but thank you all so much.
About the API/Harrison micpres: Just change the Op-amp to discrete API2520, that's it. All other components are exactly identical, including the Jensen 115k transformer. I didnt even have to change a single resistor.

Check the API2520 datasheet here:
http://www.geocities.jp/dave_group_japan/api2520_02.gif.

My mic pres are integrated to the main chanel strip motherboard, so it's easy to just install with some wires and zap-straps.

Here's a picture, not too elegant, but it works and can be reversed to original, if desired. And it sounds fabulous. I have few channels with original API2520's and few others (in the pic) with GAR2520's, they sound pretty much identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Harrison guys heres a question-harrison-micpre-api2520.jpg  
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
A way to debug is to start with master section and one channel loaded. If no problem add another channel and check again, keep going etc.
If problem is there with one channel suspect something in group master module.
Good idea but that involves turning the PSU on and off 36 times for me.

Another thing Harrison users, be sure to keep the contacts clean with a eraser, you will know if a channel starts acting freaky, I normally pull it, take my huge eraser to the contacts, put it back in for a instant fix.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Addict

Chiming in here guys as Im gonna rack up 2 24c channels soon...
@Telefunk.. My channels have both been modded in the past, I actually want to unmod them and have the 4605's ready and HA911 for the mic pres.. Just wondering how you find the HA911's mic pres in use? I have good discrete pres here so want some old skool IC tones, what dye find they shine on?
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Good idea but that involves turning the PSU on and off 36 times for me.

Another thing Harrison users, be sure to keep the contacts clean with a eraser, you will know if a channel starts acting freaky, I normally pull it, take my huge eraser to the contacts, put it back in for a instant fix.
lmao at your avatar...moving faders

yes turning ps on/off that many times not always good, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I tried hot swap once, DO NOT DO THIS!

telefunk cool ez install. Must figure the pinout for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter View Post
Chiming in here guys as Im gonna rack up 2 24c channels soon...
@Telefunk.. My channels have both been modded in the past, I actually want to unmod them and have the 4605's ready and HA911 for the mic pres.. Just wondering how you find the HA911's mic pres in use? I have good discrete pres here so want some old skool IC tones, what dye find they shine on?
There is a transformer option for the C. Stock is transformerless. Both are good in use so not a problem but a preference. Some like the punch they give drums.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
lmao at your avatar...moving faders

yes turning ps on/off can be detrimental if it's on last leg, but in that case it must be time to upgrade or refurb. Only trying to help minty find his source of popping...

telefunk i'd like to find a way to install a compressor on each channel much as you upgraded the micpre. A simple small board installed post eq maybe use the quad B/F panpot for threshold?????? crazy thinking maybe.
Those do look like moving faders but no they are not, its the way I was moving the camera, I am not lucky to have automation on the MR3 in working condition.

lol another issue is my 2 PSU are in another room so I would have to turn it on and off 36 times and run back and forth that much as well, those PSU are like serious heat chambers.
Old 24th January 2014
Hey Telefunk,

do you have the part number for the jensen line input transformer? in another thread i believe JB-499-A-I was mentioned but this is not a jensen part number.

also, do you have the newer JT-115K-E transformer in your mic pres?

thanks!

jeremy
Old 8th March 2014
Old 8th March 2014
my 2824 did that before i had it recapped. But getting the PSU rebuilt really made the desk quieter all the way around. also spraying out all the switches in the master section helped alot too.
Old 15th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Hey Telefunk,

do you have the part number for the jensen line input transformer? in another thread i believe JB-499-A-I was mentioned but this is not a jensen part number.

also, do you have the newer JT-115K-E transformer in your mic pres?

thanks!

jeremy
telefunk or anyone else please?
Old 15th April 2014
i will look at my spare channels tonight and see if i can get a part number, I also have 4 parts channels, I cant remember if they have the Jensens on them or if there the transformerless kind. I own both, I post what i find.
Old 15th April 2014
i will look at my spare channels tonight and see if i can get a part number, I also have 4 parts channels, I cant remember if they have the Jensens on them or if there the transformerless kind. I own both, I post what i find.
Old 15th April 2014
Here are some photos that might help. I don't know if they are original. Series 32 console BTW. my mic pre's are JT-115K-E
Attached Thumbnails
Harrison guys heres a question-photo-6.jpg   Harrison guys heres a question-photo-5.jpg  
Old 16th April 2014
thanks guys.

i'm specifically after the LINE INPUT transformer number as i use this for mixing.

telefunk, in your opinion, does adding a transformer and/or changing the op amp make a big difference to the sound?

ps: i toured with a drummer recently that was raving about you and your studio saying how amazing it sounds
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks guys.

i'm specifically after the LINE INPUT transformer number as i use this for mixing.

telefunk, in your opinion, does adding a transformer and/or changing the op amp make a big difference to the sound?

ps: i toured with a drummer recently that was raving about you and your studio saying how amazing it sounds
IIRC, in the Source Mix status the output transformer acts as an interstage transformer because it is right after the track assign buttons. So, if you mix in the Source Mix status, the Monitor Pot acts like a "gain pot" and so on.

This will have a subtle effect on the sound. It will be a bit thicker.

Changing Op-amps: it will make a difference but it really depends where they are located in the circuit. Changing one won't do much at all, but changing loads of them will have a cumulative effect. Also, if you have some TL074's in there, I'd swap them out. But 4605's are great.

Nowadays I prefer using the Return Mix status as it is most simple and transparent signal path.

Ps. Oh really , so do I know the drummer? that's nice to hear!
Old 22nd April 2014
thanks again for all the info. My Mr2 is mostly 4605's.

can i swap the few TL074's in there with the 4605's?

i have some spare.

showing my extreme novice status here!

also, the drummers name is TATU. A great drummer i met touring with Danish band Efterklang.

cheers!
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Thought I would chime in here. I have a 3624C, serial# 50.
Also have a 2824A, serial#5.
As far as the popping noise you are hearing when changing modes, I found that making sure all of the vca circuits were tweaked (nulled), the popping noise was reduced greatly.

Denny
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
can i swap the few TL074's in there with the 4605's?
No, no TL074's for high-end audio signals please. Way too noisy. But 4605's are great sounding chips indeed.

If you want some super high end chips, try LME49740's. But remember those modern chips take around 20mA vs. 5mA of 4605's. If you're intending to use plenty of them, check that your PSU can handle it.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchandler View Post
I have a 3624C, serial# 50.
Also have a 2824A, serial#5.
Denny
Pictures please!
Old 23rd April 2014
Quote:

Does anyone mix with the monitor faders instead of vca faders?
Sounds backwards but I've seen it done.
I do it sometimes. I have a 2824, I used to just mix on the VCA faders, but sometimes mixing off the pots gives the desk a different sound. to my ear the preamps sound a bit more "beefy" and the EQ is a bit thicker.. a 2824 with serial number 5 huh? cool! mines number 38, like Telefunk said..Please post pics.. Id love to see it!
Old 23rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
No, no TL074's for high-end audio signals please
just to be clear, i was talking about taking out the TL074's.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
just to be clear, i was talking about taking out the TL074's.
Oh, sorry. Yes, please, take 'em out. You won't miss them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search