The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 9000J Series without Computer Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 10th January 2014
Here for the gear

SSL 9000J Series without Computer

hi there,

i was wondering if there is anybody running a 9k without computer and has any experience with this.

i am about to buy one without the computer and let it being custom rebuild for my needs.

one thing is, that the computer is already gone and i want to use it without for summing and tracking.

it will be a big project and take some time and i am thankful for all thoughts and knowledge i can get from you guys..

best regards, phil
Old 11th January 2014
member no 666

A 9000J without a computer is kind of like buying a car without an engine. The 9000J's aren't all that good sounding consoles -- what the desks lacked in audio quality was made up for by the highly comprehensive automation system and hence their purchase [that -- and they look cool as can be in a control room].

If you're mainly doing tracking and summing then you'll be WAY better off looking at something like an API as their overall tone is a hell of a lot "larger" and more "spacious" sounding than an SSL anything.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
Old 11th January 2014
I agree that buying a 9000J without a computer is not a very smart move because while life without automation is OK with me as long as I've got PT feeding the SSL, life without Total Recall is impossible.!

I don't agree about the 9000J being a bad sounding console, it's a true mixing monster and one of the fastest consoles to create some kick a$$ mixes
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

the discussion, if the desks sound please the one or the other user isn´t that important to me. i like the sound alot my way of recall also works well without the desks computer.

my question is kind of more technical, would i need terminators on the desk instead of the connectors to the computer etc...
Old 11th January 2014
I have a faint memory of a blanking plug for each bank of eight faders when the computer is disconnected. Why not ask SSL? I have a feeling they may know

Nick Froome
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

i´ve started talking to german ssl, their experience with running the desk without the computer is quite low. yet i will keep searching for any source of knowledge and why not asking here, if people have any ideas?
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Addict

I use a 9000J daily and vary rarely use total recall - these days and the nature of our work we have no time to be recalling mixes when we often work on 3-5 songs each day. I've developed a workflow where recall is unnecessary (basically printing stems as I go and automating either the original tracks or printed stems in PT depending on what I want to achieve. I save a photo in the session folder of the master bus settings and any patches and outboard gear I need [usually just reverbs and master bus chain]).

It would be nice to be able to recall mixes every time they need a tweak but the reality is our clients don't have that patience any more. So although I seem to go against the grain a bit on gearslutz, I think the automation and total recall isn't totally necessary. Though I thought there were other complications that came in when trying to run SSL's without computers?
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hoi Philsen,

sorry can't help with your tech issue.
You already talked to Rico Weber?

Call me and I'll give you the contact to Matt Stevens of SSL in Oxford, he should know or point you at least to someone there who knows.

Otherwise, just get a used AWS and be done with it.

Cheers,
Basi°
Old 12th January 2014
Here for the gear

hej purple: that is pretty much my opinion and way of working.

hej basi, yes i spoke to rico weber..
Old 13th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
I use a 9000J daily and vary rarely use total recall - these days and the nature of our work we have no time to be recalling mixes when we often work on 3-5 songs each day. I've developed a workflow where recall is unnecessary (basically printing stems as I go and automating either the original tracks or printed stems in PT depending on what I want to achieve. I save a photo in the session folder of the master bus settings and any patches and outboard gear I need [usually just reverbs and master bus chain]).

It would be nice to be able to recall mixes every time they need a tweak but the reality is our clients don't have that patience any more. So although I seem to go against the grain a bit on gearslutz, I think the automation and total recall isn't totally necessary. Though I thought there were other complications that came in when trying to run SSL's without computers?
My 6032E was almost completely unusable for me on mixing sessions because it didn't have a computer. I don't understand how printing stems is faster for you than TR because it takes at least an hour to print all stems of a mix while it takes 15 minutes to upload TR, and also, you are very limited on what you can change with stems if being asked, while having back full access to the mix with TR.. 3-5 songs a day ?! I'm happy with finishing one a day ! but when switching between songs me and my assistant are flying on the AWS 900 !
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Addict

OT, but:

If you're working on 3-5 songs a day, no wonder you haven't got 'em right and need to recall and change them.

(random smiley)
Old 13th January 2014
Here for the gear

working on 3-5 songs a day doesnt necessarly mean doing 3-5 entire mixes. and there are ways to do that...
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Nut

i'll see if I can take a look tonight or tomorrow Am. I'll try turning off the computer on my 9k and see what functions.
Here are the problems I expect.
Eq in/out is a soft switch, as are the Aux sends. Also Lg fader to mix, and small fdr to mix. I'll see what the default boot is. If I recall it will pass audio.
Brad
Old 13th January 2014
Here for the gear

hi brad, this would be a great help!! i was tracking on a 9000j in denmark this summer with computer off, but the oppurtunity of buying one wasnt there then so i didnt check on what would work or not. thank you!
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Nut

Philsen
Oddly it seemed fine. Guess SSl thought this scenario through, ( keep working dead computer)
I rebooted my console with the computer off. It seemed to pass audio fine.
Auxes worked, EQ and Insert went in and out. Small fader assigned to mix.
( All these functions are soft switches)
Of course no grouping or automation. And I couldn't tell you if the audio was passing through the large fader VCA or non VCA fader path. ( That would be easy to determine with a scope but I was tight for time)
I have no idea if the console would behave differently if the computer was disconnected rather then off, but my assumption is it would function the same, but I have no facts to back that up.
Brad

Last edited by BradL8068; 14th January 2014 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

hej brad, thats quite good news, thank you veryvery much for your research! i owe you what, if you visit berlin!
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Nut

Everything should work except for automation, tr and group faders, however you could install a jumper plug at the group fader terminal and use group faders without the computer. Check the picture here: SSL 4000 E/G VCA Group Faders Problem
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

thanks!
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

Whilst I do find Fletcher knows what he's talking about

The consoles sound is amazing. I've worked in every series. And neves. The console is very detailed and clear but can get grainy if you want it to like the 4K series. Just not in the master output. You can however drive the crap out if the ABCD sub comp busses.
Some great records were mixed on the 9k series and are found in MOST mix rooms.
The mix room (la) just did the recent
Love and Death record. That one is great.
Breaking Benjamin and a lot of other awesome records made and or mixed on these.
Frank Filipetti chose the pres over NEVE 1073 1272 and others. Garbage in garbage out!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search