The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Iz Radar 6
Old 7th January 2014
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Iz Radar 6

Any users in the New York area looking for feedback or a possible demo,thanks jz
Old 7th January 2014
  #2
I am not in new york but what do you want to know?
Old 7th January 2014
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Hi do you mix to a 2 track mastering deck ?or do you do mix to 23 and 24 on the radar.Do you use a daw for editing? Or just the radar I am using protools at the moment thanks iz
Old 7th January 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Hi do you mix to a 2 track mastering deck ?or do you do mix to 23 and 24 on the radar.Do you use a daw for editing? Or just the radar I am using protools at the moment thanks iz
I will chime in. Even though I am on a Radar 4, it basically works the same way.

Yes, you can send your mix back to the radar and record on 23/24 if you like or you can send it out to a 2 track recorder (example 1/2 tape machine, Alesis masterlink, etc..)

You have to weigh the options and see what works better for you. Your chain and signal path will all have an effect on the final 2 track mix.
Old 7th January 2014
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Mixing onto Radar 23/24 has incredible creative advantages.
Everytime you feel a certain part of the mix is worth printing, you just print it.
Using auto punch you build up your mix step by step and never lose that initial feel on each part of the song.
It's also easy to repair very small stretches of a mix using auto punch.
Plus I found i improvise much more, I use less automation, more manual fades and more daring fades. I listen to the mix later thinking "wow that mix must be hours of automation work" when it's really a one-hour mix, all by hand.
Nowadays I even come back to 23/24 from the 1/2" because the method saves so much time by making use of your creative energy at the right moment.

It's like tracking an instrument: you don't want to rehearse your guitar part over and over without recording it just to find out you've lost your initial feel on the way by the time you're ready to record.

Tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
Old 7th January 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoghaus View Post
Mixing onto Radar 23/24 has incredible creative advantages.
Everytime you feel a certain part of the mix is worth printing, you just print it.
Using auto punch you build up your mix step by step and never lose that initial feel on each part of the song.
It's also easy to repair very small stretches of a mix using auto punch.
Plus I found i improvise much more, I use less automation, more manual fades and more daring fades. I listen to the mix later thinking "wow that mix must be hours of automation work" when it's really a one-hour mix, all by hand.
Nowadays I even come back to 23/24 from the 1/2" because the method saves so much time by making use of your creative energy at the right moment.

It's like tracking an instrument: you don't want to rehearse your guitar part over and over without recording it just to find out you've lost your initial feel on the way by the time you're ready to record.

Tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
I do the same thing. I set up punch points during the mix down and do manual fader rides... I use the Anamod ats 1 with the atr 102 on the stereo 2 track just like the real machine..
Old 7th January 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Any users in the New York area looking for feedback or a possible demo,thanks jz
I'm not in NY, however I love my Radar 24 (I have it for 10 years). With the Radar 6 you get a smaller physical footprint, lighter weight, and a quiet machine; also the little flat screen on the front is cool. Once you go Radar, you won't look back!
Old 8th January 2014
  #8
I just use radar to a 2track mix down and a console....no computer. I do edits on the radar and comp tracks using the console mutes on the channels. A tape like workflow. Radar 6 is dead quiet....sweet!
Old 8th January 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I've been using a RADAR 24 for some time now, and I got pretty good at doing lot's of different edits simply by using all of the functions available on the Session Controller. I wonder why the issue of "editing" is always argued as the reason a DAW is necessary? I'm like, if you can't edit it on the RADAR - do it over.
The only reason I have a computer with DAW installed is to access VST plugins.
Old 8th January 2014
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

We'll I was talking to my dealer and he was trying to convince iz technology to make a radar 6 that would also have a interface for protools hdx this way you use both ,at the present I have have 2 avid hdio I am thinking the better solution would be radar 6 and a avid omni for protools hdx,I want to keep it simple jz
Old 8th January 2014
  #11
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
question: when you go out and back in Analog do you have to compensate for anything ? are there any timing issues (phasing issues) between the internal tracks and the 23/24 mix ? if you lay them back together .. thx john
Old 8th January 2014
  #12
Here for the gear
 
Boyd Crowder's Avatar
 

As long as you have musicians who are capable of playing their own songs, RADAR Systems are incredible. Think tape with ZERO rewind time.
Old 8th January 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
question: when you go out and back in Analog do you have to compensate for anything ? are there any timing issues (phasing issues) between the internal tracks and the 23/24 mix ? if you lay them back together .. thx john
During tracking... no..

During mix down and/or sending channels out to hardware and back in.. yes.

Yes there is a slight time issue.

If I tried to run my final mix tracks (23 and 24) with the other 22 channels or so simultaneously, there would be phase issues..
I mute 23 an 24 during mix down to avoid this.

IZ released a document on their site explaining the latency and time going in and out. Times change depending on what sample rate you are running as well.
Old 30th March 2014
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
readIcculus's Avatar
OP,

I am expecting delivery of a 48 track Radar 6 system in the next 2 weeks. I'm in Buffalo New York.

PM me if I can help.

-Dan
Old 31st March 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys.

Radar 6 looks an amazing package.

Any ideas on prices on Radar6 plus ADA and other peripherals.

I think when tax time comes around in a few months this could be first cab on the rank.

I did look at the website but no info.

I checked with an aussie dealer and he said around 13 grand??????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 31st March 2014
  #16
kHz
Gear Head
 

Hi Nickknack,

have a look here: Price a RADAR | iZ Technology
and here: Price an ADA | iZ Technology

you can configure your RADAR or ADA on these two pages and it'll give you the prices without shipping and taxes.

Cheers

JC
Old 1st April 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for the links there Khz .

It should be Mhz cos you the man.

Looks like the best long term solution instead of buying a mish mash of different manufacturers and pieces.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
tekis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoghaus View Post
Mixing onto Radar 23/24 has incredible creative advantages.
Everytime you feel a certain part of the mix is worth printing, you just print it.
Using auto punch you build up your mix step by step and never lose that initial feel on each part of the song.
It's also easy to repair very small stretches of a mix using auto punch.
Plus I found i improvise much more, I use less automation, more manual fades and more daring fades. I listen to the mix later thinking "wow that mix must be hours of automation work" when it's really a one-hour mix, all by hand.
Nowadays I even come back to 23/24 from the 1/2" because the method saves so much time by making use of your creative energy at the right moment.

It's like tracking an instrument: you don't want to rehearse your guitar part over and over without recording it just to find out you've lost your initial feel on the way by the time you're ready to record.

Tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
Yes! I used to love working this way. The mix becomes a "performance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
We'll I was talking to my dealer and he was trying to convince iz technology to make a radar 6 that would also have a interface for protools hdx this way you use both ,at the present I have have 2 avid hdio I am thinking the better solution would be radar 6 and a avid omni for protools hdx,I want to keep it simple jz
Instead of the HD Omni, think about getting a RADAR with Madi paired with HD Madi. Your transfers would be very easy that way. Why buy features (Omni) that you don't really need? I miss my RADAR's...
Old 3rd April 2014
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
readIcculus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Thanks for all the info and ideas guys.

Radar 6 looks an amazing package.

Any ideas on prices on Radar6 plus ADA and other peripherals.

I think when tax time comes around in a few months this could be first cab on the rank.

I did look at the website but no info.

I checked with an aussie dealer and he said around 13 grand??????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
There is a pricing tool on their site....

Price a RADAR | iZ Technology

I'd recommend contacting iZ Technology directly by phone, you'll speak with a friendly person immediately. Honestly they provided the best customer service experience I've ever encountered. They can custom build a rig for your needs. I spoke with Barry, the man who designed the system and owns the company, directly. They will answer your questions and provide you with a quote.
Old 3rd April 2014
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by readIcculus View Post
There is a pricing tool on their site....

Price a RADAR | iZ Technology

I'd recommend contacting iZ Technology directly by phone, you'll speak with a friendly person immediately. Honestly they provided the best customer service experience I've ever encountered. They can custom build a rig for your needs. I spoke with Barry, the man who designed the system and owns the company, directly. They will answer your questions and provide you with a quote.
yep same experience here.....the same service and support continues after you have your rig too
Old 4th April 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ephi82's Avatar
 

As a home recording hobbyist, I am blessed to have done research and have been given advice, to invest in a RADAR platform. It is the best singular purchase of all the recording gear I own.

I have a RADAR 24, and it's sound, ease of use, and ability to meet high end recording quality performance is simply beyond expectations. There have been MANY great and notable recordings done on RADARS since 2000 (U2, Stones etc)

You can buy new, and get the RADAR 6, at a price for a pro shop is very reasonable, or dip your toe into the environment and buy a used RADAR 24 at about $3500. By the way, the conversion in the old unit is still very competitive with whats available today. Do it!
Old 4th April 2014
  #22
Lives for gear
 
tekis's Avatar
Radar 6

RADAR 6 looks really bulletproof. I love all the new features and they made transferring a whole lot easier. I love the sound quality--it's been above average since RADAR II. The session controller and workflow is very, very good. I can work on RADAR for much longer periods of time than on the DAW. I know it's cliche, but you really do tend to focus on the music more. There's less "fiddling around." And while you can't graft the head of an ostrich on an elephant, if you've got a competent band you don't need to. I'm seriously thinking about track my next project on RADAR and mixing in PT.
Old 9th April 2014
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
readIcculus's Avatar
Just received my Radar 6 rig today!
Attached Thumbnails
Iz Radar 6-20140409_161722.jpg   Iz Radar 6-20140409_161635.jpg   Iz Radar 6-20140409_165215.jpg  
Old 10th April 2014
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Ephi82's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by readIcculus View Post
Just received my Radar 6 rig today!
Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 10th April 2014
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by readIcculus View Post
Just received my Radar 6 rig today!
sweet...2 is better than 1 hahaha
Old 14th September 2014
  #26
Gear Maniac
 

Right my console is a api the box ,the most I could monitor from radar would be 20 tracks unless I could monitor from my 2 tracks ins ,but then I was thinking I could hook up master out to 23 and 24 on the radar for a mix down
Old 14th September 2014
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Can you change the outputs of radar to different destinations. Another words can I set tracks 23 and 24 to 1 and 2 on my api
Old 14th September 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Mad John's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by readIcculus View Post
Just received my Radar 6 rig today!
Yikes!

Is 129 your Voltage reading?

I have had this issue in my studio all along and just now got a Furman Voltage Regulator to keep all equipment in the 120 zone.

Good luck with your new RADARs!!
Old 15th September 2014
  #29
Lives for gear
 
ARIEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by readIcculus View Post
Just received my Radar 6 rig today!
Nice ! if I had the extra cash I would get the ADA 2 system . The sound , sounds solid from the clips I have heard . Rich and full . I would be curious if they could build a system with 32 I/O ?
Old 15th September 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I would be curious if they could build a system with 32 I/O ?
Yes! Would be great indeed... also eventually do it modular in a complete way.. so if you have 8 slots total (for 8 channel cards), that you could have 16 AD and 48 DA if you want so, in a single unit.. (4RU).

Also I think that they are the perfect candidates for and integrated DSD system.. were you could decide if recording pcm or DSD, since it's a recorder this could be a win-win solution..



Cheu
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump