The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 6B lunchbox smells like burning 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 2nd January 2014
API 6B lunchbox smells like burning

Just turned everything on to do some
Drum tracks tonight, and I flipped the phantom power on on my daking 500 pre.. A minute later we started to smell burning.. Sure enough it's coming from the lunchbox. I've had both for months and have ever had this smell. I'm about to open it up, but I honestly don't know what I'd be looking for other than burn marks.
Any one else had that smell? Any ideas?
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

That smell is called "Mojo" the bad thing is when all the mojo burns out then the thing is dead.
Gear manufactures essentially store compressed "Mojo Gas" in the caps.

If you open it up and notice any bulged caps its more then likely all the mojo has leaked out and will need to be replaced.

If any caps look round not flat in the top then you need mojo repair.
Attached Thumbnails
API 6B lunchbox smells like burning-2011-01-03_144544_pic1015.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2014
Turns out the Lindell PEX500 Eq is just on fire..
Old 2nd January 2014
Anyone else have issues with the Lindell like this? I'm calling sweet water in the morning.. It was a Christmas gift, it was new.
Old 2nd January 2014
Did you turn OFF the lunchbox prior to installing the module?
Old 2nd January 2014
Yes. It has been in the lunchbox for a week and has been working fine. Today when the lunchbox was turned on, it just started smoking. I tested it in two slots with the power off until the screws were set both time. The second time I actually saw smoke.
Old 2nd January 2014
It sounded great and was fully operational.
Old 2nd January 2014
PM sent
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
PM sent
now thats some quality customer service!
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Too bad your thread title blames the api.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Addict

Too bad this thread also got censored.

Yesterday, another user reported similar issues, including pictures.
Where did that post go?
Old 2nd January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
Turns out the Lindell PEX500 Eq is just on fire..
Yup, I've had this happening as well. I returned it top the local music shop, who returned it to the distributor. They couldn't find anything. Oddly enough, when returned to me, the light in the "on" button didn't work anymore.
Old 24th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Too bad your thread title blames the api.
I made the thread before the problem was located. My apologies.. Not sure why you needed to say something.

As far as the issue, a resistor near the opamp burned up. It is a precautionary resistor, as I was told, to take the hit if the power to the 500 rack is on when it is plugged in. In my case, the opamp went bad and it burned up the resistor. I got a new opamp and everything is great. The EQ itself rules. And Lindell helped me fast and provided really great service. I'm happy and want a second one!
Old 31st January 2014
The lunchbox started smoking again today after I initially heard a buzzing sound. No units are plugged in where it is smoking... Pretty cool. I just called API and hopefully something can get figured out. It is plugged into a monster power supply reading 123 volts.
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

lol way to go lindell
fastest customer support ever
Old 31st January 2014
Is it possible to short the Lindell by patching with power on? Because I'm not sure whether the API is the problem or if the Lindell is the problem again.
I had unpatched it when a buzzing sound began, and then I noticed the smoke. Do they need to be patched with the power off??
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't hot swap modules, and I don't know of a manufacturer that does not recommend against it.

I have done it accidentally once or twice without incident actually, but I felt lucky when I couldn't discover any problems afterwards.
Old 31st January 2014
Hot swap as in installing them with the power on? Because I don't install them with the power on. I was referring to patching it in a signal chain after a preamp and before converter using a patch bay. When I pulled the cables out (with the power on the API) the buzzing and smoke began.
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Maniac

There should not be any issue just patching it into a chain while powered on
Old 20th April 2014
Gear Head

OK,same here... with the 6x-500...In the middle of a "good check piece of work" ... I'm mad...

I took of a unit to sell.Reorganized my modules to fill the gap and 1mn after bam! The Lunchbox was smoking.I was sure it was one of my old original CX-1 due to their age... I was cursing the whole world and me for always buying "vintage" piece of gear!

I then checked all the modules one by one to find some burn marks...

It's the Lindell.The only unit I bought new and I'm out of warranty since 1 MONTH.

Tobias I really need you on that one...

Oh.And of course I didn't patch it with the power on.

PS: I just bought a 7X compressor 2 days ago, I don't have any problem against the brand who serve me well so far...

PPS : I'm selling one of my very rare original Aphex CX-1 Compressor/Gate, 500-series.For those interested PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
API 6B lunchbox smells like burning-img_20140420_142152.jpg   API 6B lunchbox smells like burning-img_20140420_142212.jpg  

Last edited by elam; 20th April 2014 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: spelling and details
Old 21st April 2014
I'll get it serviced for ya
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
I'll get it serviced for ya
I am having the same problem. Both of my 6x500s.

Radial Workhorse. Lindell 6x500 Blown Resitor.

Did you find out what the problem was. As I would like to fix this myself.

Thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search