The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CL1B or LA2A Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Honestly they are both great tracking comps and I think the differences are sometimes over emphasized. because of the slowlness of the la2a some folks like to use them in tandem with an 1176. The cl1b is faster so that has an effect. However, my take is always that the coloration of most compressors is fairly subtle and you really can get great results on any source with either one. The cl1b being faster is a little more versatile for tracking but I'd happily take either one.

I prefer to get my colorations or tone via mic and mic pre as this is where it begins. Good Compression should preserve the musicality and integrity of those choices while keeping levels in check.

I find time and again people who look at these compressors as some sort of sonic panacea are ultimately disapointed
I completely agree.
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Do you know something we don't? feel free to share if you do heh
I believe the new product is an eq, not a compressor.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC View Post
I believe the new product is an eq, not a compressor.
Aw that sucks
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Would make sense, though.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know something we don't? feel free to share if you do heh
I am not free to share, but the post concerning the Warm developments has confirmed what is in store.
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Aw that sucks
It's an eqp-wa, a pultec clone.

And here I was about drop 7 over grand for another pair of pulse techniques...will have to wait for this and have them side by side
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
It's an eqp-wa, a pultec clone.

And here I was about drop 7 over grand for another pair of pulse techniques...will have to wait for this and have them side by side
Would love to hear your opinion on the results
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Would love to hear your opinion on the results
Will do.
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Lol......I know a dude who was chasing EQP-1A3's for 10 years and ended up paying the absolute premium for them in the Early 2000's (14K$) and man was he glowing and gloating about these Original Pulse Pultec Eq's! Well damn, even if this is 1/4 of the Pulse or Tube Tech's it's a very funny last laugh scenario!
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Maniac

UA MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I think you'll find a lot of people here in High End who have intimate experience with both. And since you asked...

Everything said about is correct.

A CL1b sounds more modern, will make a great singer sound better and is more versatile and can be used alone to give all the compression you need to a tracking vocal to make it sound perfect. Watch the threshold and gain interaction though, or it can quickly turn into an expensive overdrive box. Used properly, as essential as salt. Every one is virtually the same. Built like a tank and quality sound.

An LA2a does that one thing, but it does it so well that you can forgive it for being (more or less) a one-trick pony and combined with an 1176 or similar fast FET comp, gives you everything you need for a good vocal too. But no two sound alike, well maybe every third one sound like another, but they vary a lot. The reissues are not junk! They are excellent units and you can get them modded to sound just right. Heck, I even have a 2-LA2 that I had modded and both sides of that dual mono/stereo LA2a sound completely authentic now.

Given the choice of just one? CL1b.
Hi,
Can you give more details about your UA LA-2A MOD?
Old 13th February 2015
AB3
Lives for gear

I had two CL1bs. Now I have a Vac Rac TSL-4, which unfortunately I may need to sell, but I may just get by financially with it.

Anyway, if the CL1bs were $1500 each I could justify it. Otherwise I do not see why someone would not get a used Vac Rac Tsl-3 or a tsl-4 and if desired, change the tubes. My 2 cents.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Nut

Bumping an old thread, but has anyone tried the new ELOP + and how it compares to the LA2A and CL1B?
Old 6th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
Bumping an old thread, but has anyone tried the new ELOP + and how it compares to the LA2A and CL1B?
Haven't compared to the new Elop, I have an old one and a CL1b, before I got the CL1b the Elop was my main tracking comp, now it's the CL1b. BTW if you're looking for a compressor that has some real ogah boogah check out the Grove Hill Liverpool, it thickens in a good way and adds some real energy to the track, it came make a wimpy singer quite a bit tougher.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search