The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Orion 32
Old 12th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post

I am coming from using a RADAR 24 and the Orion sounds every bit as good to me, just slightly different.

Great unit.
That's pretty much what I said in the Tape Op Review
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
That's interesting, everytime I listen to the loopback files of Orion (there are several on the net) the degradation makes me go away (though I'm not saying it's unusable, just enough to go "meh" on it). Yet on the other side there are many posts like the one from Skybluerental... an I missing something? I don't feel that way about my oldie lavry blues.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That's pretty much what I said in the Tape Op Review
Well Tony,

A big part of what allowed me to take the leap was talking to you and Jon Pines about your experiences with the Orion.

Once I got it and started using it I quickly realized how good it sounds.

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
That's interesting, everytime I listen to the loopback files of Orion (there are several on the net) the degradation makes me go away (though I'm not saying it's unusable, just enough to go "meh" on it). Yet on the other side there are many posts like the one from Skybluerental... an I missing something? I don't feel that way about my oldie lavry blues.
I can't say if you are missing something or not.

What I will say is that in my opinion, loopback tests are not the best way evaluate audio gear.
It must be evaluated in the heat of battle if you ask me.
Real world application.

When directly compared the differences between the Orion and RADAR were palpable, but subtle.
I did a test stemming out 8 tracks onto my console from each converter then recording it back in through the same converter. The RADAR had a little bigger bottom end and the Orion had more clarity in the mid range and upper mid range. The Orion has a very deep 3 dimensional stereo image and does not lack in any way to my ears. I blind tested several of my friends and a few picked the Orion and a few picked the RADAR. ALL of them said the differences were very subtle and not important in the grand scheme of making records.

Once I tracked and mixed a few songs on the Orion it was clear to me that it sounds great and was not at all a step down from my RADAR which I loved for many years.

As a long time RADAR user, I was very skeptical at first, but over time the Orion has proved to be a great sounding, record making box.

The only things I miss on the RADAR are the meter bridge and the vari speed.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes I admit my "opinion" is based on some files from internet and you are actually using the box to do the actual job . Don't get me wrong, what I heard was perfectly fine for me not to worry about conversion if I happen to track or mix an album with it. Perhaps the dissapointing bit was the fact it didn't "totally destroy" all the lynxes/SSLs and lavry blues (in my opinion of course). Perhaps the atomic clock would make the difference ;-).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes I admit my "opinion" is based on some files from internet and you are actually using the box to do the actual job . Don't get me wrong, what I heard was perfectly fine for me not to worry about conversion if I happen to track or mix an album with it. Perhaps the dissapointing bit was the fact it didn't "totally destroy" all the lynxes/SSLs and lavry blues (in my opinion of course). Perhaps the atomic clock would make the difference ;-).
See that is the whole point right there. When you get to this level of interface/converter none of them are going to "blow away" the competition. There will be small differences between all of them at this level, but sometimes that small difference makes a huge difference across 24-32 tracks all going out to a console, that slight difference can make or break your mix.

What the orion gave me was a very 3d image and good separation amongst tracks that used the A/D and D/A while tracking and mixing. I did not have that same 3d image without some kind of effect on similar converters and interfaces. Yeah it is like a 10-20% difference, but for what I do it made a bigger impact that other interfaces seemed to lack in the higher end market. The only other interface that gave a similar depth was the burl MS.

Jim
Old 13th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well Tony,

A big part of what allowed me to take the leap was talking to you and Jon Pines about your experiences with the Orion.

Once I got it and started using it I quickly realized how good it sounds.

Thanks.
That means a lot to me, it truly does. JP speaks very highly of you, so I always pay attention to what you have to say.
Old 14th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That means a lot to me, it truly does. JP speaks very highly of you, so I always pay attention to what you have to say.
HA!

It is certainly nice to hear that someone pays attention to what I say here!

JP is a great guy with great ears and a TON of knowledge.
He was the first really talented engineer I ever worked with as a musician about 12 years ago. I learned a lot about recording watching JP record/mix my band at the time. Since then he has been an invaluable resource to me for everything from gear purchases to maintenance and upgrades and he is also my favorite mastering engineer in the land.
I owe a lot of what I know to JP for sure.

I need to come by your place and check it out some day Tony.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 14th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
You aren't missing anything, except for using it and see what its strong points are. Its not a strong loopback converter, and I certainly wouldn't use it for mastering.

Its strong point I think is that its VERY smooth, most likely due to the clock which really has no jitter to speak of. Its kind of weird actually to hear a converter with a clock like that, I'm so used to jitter. Even with the Forssell MADA-2A. Thus it is not hard sounding at all, but very liquid and smooth. Almost like what people were hoping transformerless gear would sound like. My problems with it are documented earlier in the thread, I don't think the depth/dimension is on par with more expensive converters. Especially in the DAC department, but the DAC is great for mixing through. Very revealing but its not a sound you get tired of. Its also not as open in the top end, which again could be me just being used to jitter being pushed up high and fooling me into thinking its more "open."

Really cool piece of gear, and so cheap!

Also worth noting, I had a Lynx Aurora for 7 years. It was great, but this is clearly better. So much friendlier sounding.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Interesting points. I always thought low jitter consequence is great imaging (along with very defined sound throughout the frequency range). What I heard was softening of the transients (kick drums) in the bass and some (high)midrange coloring that I didn't really cared for. Nothing drastic of course, we are in the highend aren't we .

I wanted it to work for mastering as well. I'm using lavry blue for that and lucid 88192 for hybrid mixing (neither is the perfect converter for sure, what is?). Orion appeared to be a great opportunity to upgrade both and gain 2U of rack space as a bonus.
Old 15th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
HA!

It is certainly nice to hear that someone pays attention to what I say here!

JP is a great guy with great ears and a TON of knowledge.
He was the first really talented engineer I ever worked with as a musician about 12 years ago. I learned a lot about recording watching JP record/mix my band at the time. Since then he has been an invaluable resource to me for everything from gear purchases to maintenance and upgrades and he is also my favorite mastering engineer in the land.
I owe a lot of what I know to JP for sure.

I need to come by your place and check it out some day Tony.

Thanks for the kind words.
JP does now a TON of stuff!

Seriously, next time you're coming down this way, let me know. I can possible got to Urbania, or you are always welcome here.

[/QUOTE]
πŸ“ Reply