The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous D-Box vs Avid Omni monitoring section... Monitor Controllers
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Dangerous D-Box vs Avid Omni monitoring section...

hey all. i'm hopin' that i can get some comparison feedback on the DA converters on these 2 boxes. currently i am monitoring outta the Omni and thinkin' about the D-Box for summing. but as i look at this possible setup i am wondering if the D-Box brings any step-up in the monitoring section. no issues with monitoring outta the Omni...just curious about the comparison. thanks
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

i ended up posting this question up on Fab's pureMix site. here is his response. i hope that it helps others that were lookin' for feedback also.

Hi,
Converters are a matter of taste. In my case and so far, the Dangerous converters have beat every other converter I have listened to. I'm not familiar withe Omni proper but I am familiar with the big brother's HD i/os and I still use Dangerous converters as my main D to A reference even when working with a full HDX rig with HD io even thoug I think the HDio is a greta converter.
That's my taste.
Hope this helps.
Fab
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

still hoping others will chime in with their feedback. i know Fab ain't the only one!!!
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

Haven't heard Omni but very pleased with dangerous converters. I have apollo but monitor thru dbox. Kinda apples n oranges tho
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

I just bought a D Source and I can't believe the s&it I haven't been hearing until now. I was using my crap interface as my monitoring and the Source is so much better it's silly.
The separation is much much much better, the stereo image seems way wider, and the accuracy is waay way better. I can hear a lot more detail now.
And the low end is tight. Listening to "Innervisions" is rocking my crazy world..
It sounds fantastic to me.
Old 18th December 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Haven't heard Omni but have extensive time on an Avocet and the D Box is no step back. DA is money
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

I use the dbox for DAC. It's very good. Never used Omni though.
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

thanks all for the posts! ok, besides the D-Box makin' all you cats very satisfied customers it seems to me that the combo of the Omni and D-Box is not very common...at least from those that posted. so i'll ask for different advice now.

let's assume the Omni and D-Box are totally on par with each other regarding D to A. what would you recommend for summing other than the D-Box in that same price range? i'll do some searches here too while i'm researching things. thanks again...

EDIT...i did find this...Analogue summing : all the options (the BIG thread)
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear
I think the d-box is great and agree with Fab (I have an HD I/O and D-Box)

I'm sure people do the Omni+D-box but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me as you're basically limiting your I/O while simultaneously paying for redundant features (monitoring, cue, etc) an HD 8X8 (or 16) + omni seems to make way more sense to me at least
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I think the d-box is great and agree with Fab (I have an HD I/O and D-Box)

I'm sure people do the Omni+D-box but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me as you're basically limiting your I/O while simultaneously paying for redundant features (monitoring, cue, etc) an HD 8X8 (or 16) + omni seems to make way more sense to me at least
true...from an I/O standpoint. and that is somethin' i'm lookin' at too. but i'm not too concerned about I/O at the moment. but i hear you and you make a good point...

EDIT...also do you sum with your D-Box? and if so, if this can really be answered, how much difference does it make to your ears and mix after you've tracked with your HD I/O and then added the summing of the D-Box? thanks
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

bump...hopin' to get an answer from superwack

EDIT:...or anyone usin' the D-Box and Avid I/O...thanks again all
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Addict
I have an Omni and borrowed a friend's DBox earlier this year to see if I wanted to go the summing route. I was instantly amazed at the sound and thought that I would surely get a DBox or LT. I decided to do a few experiments and do a complete ITB bounce to disk vs. a DBOX summed recording. When A/B'ing the 2 mixes, I could barely hear the difference. After a little more research, I found that many people were raving about the monitor path on the Dangerous stuff. I wound up buying the Dangerous Source and have been very happy with it. I'm using the Dig Out of the Omni into the Source. Sounds great to me.
Old 24th December 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

This ^

I haven't heard enough convincing samples or testimonials for me to go an invest in the cabling, extra I/O to use the summing on my Dbox. I bought if solely for it's DA and headphone amps
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
I have an Omni and borrowed a friend's DBox earlier this year to see if I wanted to go the summing route. I was instantly amazed at the sound and thought that I would surely get a DBox or LT. I decided to do a few experiments and do a complete ITB bounce to disk vs. a DBOX summed recording. When A/B'ing the 2 mixes, I could barely hear the difference. After a little more research, I found that many people were raving about the monitor path on the Dangerous stuff. I wound up buying the Dangerous Source and have been very happy with it. I'm using the Dig Out of the Omni into the Source. Sounds great to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
This ^

I haven't heard enough convincing samples or testimonials for me to go an invest in the cabling, extra I/O to use the summing on my Dbox. I bought if solely for it's DA and headphone amps
much appreciated to you both for your posts.

@Louderock...how would you describe the difference you heard between the two? what made the D-Box standout vs the Omni? thanks again
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
much appreciated to you both for your posts.

@Louderock...how would you describe the difference you heard between the two? what made the D-Box standout vs the Omni? thanks again
The Source seemed to give me 'more'. It seemed like the low end extended a bit more as well as the width.... a clearer overall sound. Plus, there is a USB input that I wire straight to my mac and can have Youtube, etc. through my studio speakers. Plus, there's the additional analog input which I use outputs 3-4 on the Omni to feed so I can quickly switch back and forth from any rough mix or ref.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

thanks again. i think am now at a point of deciding between the D-Box for its' summing or an 8x8x8 (as someone suggested) for I/O. i guess i need to feel like the D-Box is worth it for the summing alone even if it might be a tad better than the Omni for D to A. thanks again
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Head

D-Box/omni

Hi mykhal
Dont know if Im late here but just thought I'd mention the following:
Omni only has 8 outs - any way you look at it! And this includes the monitor outs you would use for mixing and listening. Thought it might be important to mention here. Again, hope its not to late. lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search