The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
clearing up 500 rack discrepancies
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

clearing up 500 rack discrepancies

soooo.. there seems to be a whole world of debate and electrical science talk about these…

a few things

1) i do not understand electricity well
2) i have not owned any 500 series gear

now, i want to simply just get some api eqs, i have not considered any other 500 series stuff although i know it's a huge market. the only other think i would think i could put in there would be maag eq or maaaybe ssl e channel eq/comp in the future (although i might get a separate ssl xrack for that). because api does not make their eqs any other way (except for the 5500 eq) i have to look at 500 series.

from what i understand there is much debate about the power supply and whether it is adequate power to get real good sound out of these modules compared to the 19" standard counterparts of many of these units.

but here's the thing, api modules for instance, are not available in anything but 500 series. API chassis seem to have an issue with adaptability with some 3rd party modules from what i understand.

so my questions are these:

1) for their own native products, is there any issue, or even a rumor of an issue with an api lunch box loaded with api eq? not even pre amps, just eqs

2) is the debate of power supply mainly applicable to pre amps? since i'm guessing (i may be wrong) that power is bigger deal for preamps rather than eqs/comps (especially solid state ones)???

3) what is the general consensus of the maag eqs working with api lunchbox?

4) is there any particular 500 series chasis that is undisputed as a "no problem" chasis?
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Maniac

From the Maag website:

"The EQ2 is compatible with the API 500-6B lunchbox® and 500VPR rack systems and any other 500 Series spec rack."
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Makes no difference as long as you buy from a reputable manufacturer. Some will argue high voltage vs low voltage - it's hogwash. Most 24v supplies are single ended, the VPR (500 series) spec is full swing voltage 16+/- (so 32v up and down). It makes a marginal difference in output db but it is so far beyond Digital dynamic range or any compressors' sweet spot its moot. I own both (actually I think the Chandler is 28v) and the difference is in the flavor. I have one 500 series pre in particular that will saturate and fill out better than many other pres I've heard. The difference really lies in the design and learning the sweet spot of and intention of a piece of gear.

I track at a studio with original v76s and 1073s as well as a a 70s API 1604. If anything the API has more saturation and guts to is. Worry thyself not with this.

In my opinion the chassis come down to build quality, power supply AMPERAGE (some modules do require more juice but the good ones will step it up internally) and features. If I were you I would look at the Cartec Chassis, the IGS Audio Panzer. Those would be my first choices.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

yeah i get it just stick with what works. that's why i was looking at api. as many people can throw electrical stats as they want, as i understand it other companies have higher power ratings with their chasis but it's like every big studio and every big mixer uses the api chasis….

that's not even a joke… literally. most big name mixers you goto their sites or do quick google searches on their studios and they all have api chasis
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

You will find a lot of talk on the internet about the API chassis not providing enough current. This was the first issue lunchbox. The 6B has improved current drive capability. If you really want the power supply aspect to be bomb-proof, then wait a few months for the Dave Hill one to come out. Over-specced and each slot's power is individually regulated so there's no chance of crosstalk via the power rails from module to module. He's doing a 4-slot and a full rack-mount one (8 or more slots?).
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan View Post
You will find a lot of talk on the internet about the API chassis not providing enough current. This was the first issue lunchbox. The 6B has improved current drive capability. If you really want the power supply aspect to be bomb-proof, then wait a few months for the Dave Hill one to come out. Over-specced and each slot's power is individually regulated so there's no chance of crosstalk via the power rails from module to module. He's doing a 4-slot and a full rack-mount one (8 or more slots?).
I saw an interview with him where he said he wanted to do a rack because he felt that people hadn't pushed the 500 series as far as it could go in terms of reliability and quality of parts. Dave is also a really nice person on the phone. Very forthright when you have questions.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

mm interesting. anyone know details or some news or anything in print about this?

however as cool and promising as that sounds i still think the fact that most major studios and mixers use the api chasis for their 500 series stuff speaks volumes.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

They have a channel strip and the aforementioned 5500
The Channel Strip

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search