The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API or Chandler
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

API or Chandler

Hey

I'm looking to add another Mic Pre to my setup

I currently have a Aurora Audio GTQ2 and BAE DMP.

Looking to add another 'colour' to the setup for tracking Bass gtr, analogue synths, Elec gtr.

Currently looking at API chanel strip or Chandler TG2

I do Electro / Rock music

Any suggestions?

Cheers
H
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Chandler is wicked great on electric guitars. I prefer the recent CAPI stuff to API outboard, but The Strip at least has EQ and compression built in. I prefer having preamps in pairs though, so...I say Chandler in that matchup.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

Thankyou herecomesyouman....

Yeah, Chandler looks great. Only issue is I only have 1 hardware compressor (Retro 176)...so not sure if a pre with comp would be the way to go....?
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahjesus1 View Post
Hey

I'm looking to add another Mic Pre to my setup

I currently have a Aurora Audio GTQ2 and BAE DMP.

Looking to add another 'colour' to the setup for tracking Bass gtr, analogue synths, Elec gtr.

Currently looking at API chanel strip or Chandler TG2

I do Electro / Rock music

Any suggestions?

Cheers
H
do you need more mic pre amps or do you just want to add a different color?

if you need more mic pre amps, i would go with some CAPI VP 26’s.
they are the best bang for your buck pre amp out there IMO.

but, as someone who has actually had the CAPI’s next to the BAE’s, i can tell you that the differences, while palpable, are not huge like the differences in microphones......... both are great and equally as good, but the CAPI’s are a lot cheaper, which i why i would recommend them.

if you want to add another color i suggest a new mic or an EQ.
they will go a lot further in the new color department than a different pre amp.

so will moving the mic 6 inches.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Personally, I could live without different colors of preamp but I can't live without a couple options for tracking compression. Also, I like to compress everything on the way in so I would find your set up in desperate need of a 2nd compressor.

Russell
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for all the great advice
I mainly want it for tracking different bass gtrs, elec gtrs, analogue synths (moog etc)
I have a Brauner VM1, Royer 121, C414 , Some dynamics for vox.. electronic music with gtrs.dont record bands as its

Any other units or channel strips spring to mind? WIth a compressor would be cool for tracking as I dont have many compressors. UBK fatso and distressor could be an option too
Old 12th December 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
Personally, I could live without different colors of preamp but I can't live without a couple options for tracking compression. Also, I like to compress everything on the way in so I would find your set up in desperate need of a 2nd compressor.

Russell
I will hop on this bandwagon .. I culled out my pre's but I kept all my comps and EQ's .. including a pair of 525's ...they give the API color and punch to whatever i run thru them
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

Thanks Roger...cheers everyone......

Ok as the API channel strip has a good eq and comp ....could be a good option then.........

No fans of Universal audio? Avalon?
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Nut

I will go with Chandler. As herecomesyourman said, it sounds great on guitar as well as a lot of voices.
Old 12th December 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Thanks Roger...cheers everyone......

Ok as the API channel strip has a good eq and comp ....could be a good option then.........

No fans of Universal audio? Avalon?
had the Avalon for about 10 years ... I think it is a very good unit but does not really 'add' much to the sound .. not sure what your budget is ( and I have not heard one) but have you looked at the Retro Instruments Power strip??
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

if you´re looking for another colour added to your neve-style pres, api for sure. tg2 is somewhere in between imo.
Old 13th December 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Seeing you said you do electro,I say the TG2 hands down.Simply the best thing ive used for transforming sterile keys /electric piano etc into phat warm analog sounds.run your VSTi's through them
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Nut

In case you are only tracking 1 or 2 sources at a time, you don't really need more preamps. Those you have are really good!
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thankyou herecomesyouman....

Yeah, Chandler looks great. Only issue is I only have 1 hardware compressor (Retro 176)...so not sure if a pre with comp would be the way to go....?

Watch this whole video...this actually might be a good choice for you to beef up synths.
Old 13th December 2013
SEED78
how do you like the Nvelope on the 2 bus?
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
how do you like the Nvelope on the 2 bus?
I think it's interesting there. I'm not sure I'd want it alone on a 2Bus, but it's not a bad choice.

I just think it's seriously powerful.
Old 13th December 2013
SEED78
I just don't see many stereo linked 500 series EQ units - I've been thinking about what 2 bus EQ to put with a SB4001 IF I went 500 format.

is this more of a transient designer maybe?
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
I will hop on this bandwagon .. I culled out my pre's but I kept all my comps and EQ's .. including a pair of 525's ...they give the API color and punch to whatever i run thru them
So right about the 525s i have the 70s model, sweet.
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
had the Avalon for about 10 years ... I think it is a very good unit but does not really 'add' much to the sound ..
The 2022 is sweet for a lot of things in the pop world, hard to beat. My weakest preamp would be the BAE stuff, its good but Dan Alexander is much better.
Old 14th December 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
The 2022 is sweet for a lot of things in the pop world, hard to beat. My weakest preamp would be the BAE stuff, its good but Dan Alexander is much better.
sorry I was not clear.. I was talking about the 737. I've not used a 2022 but have heard it is actually warmer than the 737's

I kept a portico 5015 (pre/comp) and one of the 5033 5 band eq's ...and with 6 of Rupert's transformers in the signal path they can be very fat or very transparent depending on how it is gain staged ..not super expensive either .. they are now offering some inductor EQ's as well ..may be worth a look
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
sorry I was not clear.. I was talking about the 737. I've not used a 2022 but have heard it is actually warmer than the 737's

I kept a portico 5015 (pre/comp) and one of the 5033 5 band eq's ...and with 6 of Rupert's transformers in the signal path they can be very fat or very transparent depending on how it is gain staged ..not super expensive either .. they are now offering some inductor EQ's as well ..may be worth a look
It's all good, I don't really care for the VT stuff, many do, the AD is a monster step up and the price shows.
And yes the 2022 is warm when you push them.

As far as the subject to me the lil devil Chandler stuff would be my fav line.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't see many stereo linked 500 series EQ units - I've been thinking about what 2 bus EQ to put with a SB4001 IF I went 500 format.

is this more of a transient designer maybe?
Get a Pair of CAPI LC53a inductor based 550a style EQ's (They'll be stepped.)

Then get a pair of Maag EQ4's. (also stepped.) To use as program EQ's.

I would prefer JLM PEQ500's to the Maags, but if you're really worried about matching levels that's the way to go. The Elysia XFilter is also nice and true stereo, but I would prefer these designs.
Old 14th December 2013
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Get a Pair of CAPI LC53a inductor based 550a style EQ's (They'll be stepped.)

Then get a pair of Maag EQ4's. (also stepped.) To use as program EQ's.

I would prefer JLM PEQ500's to the Maags, but if you're really worried about matching levels that's the way to go. The Elysia XFilter is also nice and true stereo, but I would prefer these designs.
Are the CAPI kit only?

if you had to close 1 set for all round 2 bus suites would you go CAPI or Maag?
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are the CAPI kit only?

if you had to close 1 set for all round 2 bus suites would you go CAPI or Maag?
You can buy the LC53's for $900 each assembled here (Cheaper than new 550a's):

Custom Analog Services (*LINK HERE*)

I would go with the LC53a's over the Maag's but they're more colored. I would also pick the JLM PEQ500's to use as program EQ's from there.

I would go LC53a's > First compressor(s) > JLM PEQ500's / Maags (To tune the top and bottom further.) > Second compressor(s) for soft or hard limiting.

The compressors I would use are Chandler Germaniums first (Pair) and Dave Hill Titans (Pair) second currently if I was using my rig. (*I am demoing the Titans this week, and I have to say...they're pretty darn amazing on the 2Bus. I will probably wind up buying them.) But if I was going all 500 series a pair of Little Devil compressors by Chandler and an Elysia Xpressor...or maybe a Dramastic Audio Obsidian would work fine too.

I like a more colorful rock and roll thing...mixing vintage and modern tones. You might want something more modern pop...the Maags do that well. (They cause minimal phase shift distortions)

The EQ's I use currently are a Manley Massive Passive and a Great River EQ-2NV...the LC53a and the JLM PEQ500 would get me closest to that kind of vibe in the 500 series format out of what I've used. (Different, but in the same ballpark.)
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

God, I have to ask myself that question every time I go to record!

Those are 4 vintage 312 cards racked above the 10 Chandler TG strips (with a RND channel strip above that). I obviously love the Chandler but the APIs are a little brighter and more forward and often sound like the Chandlers do after I add a hair of eq to get more presence in the guitars. Neither will let you down on bass but I love the DI on the TG2 vs the DI on the API 3124s that I've used. I tend to like the Chandler more on vocals and acoustic instruments.

If you'd use the other components of the API channel strip on mix down then I would go with that (actually, I'd go with the RND channel strip but you didn't ask about that). If you'd rather have two mic pres then I'd go with the TG2 (you're going to want a Tone Control down the road, too, I'm sorry to say).

As you can tell by my ratios, if I had to pick one based on mic pre alone I'd go with the Chandler TG2 (especially since the API comparisons that I'm making are from vintage APIs pre amps from the 70s with the old op amp and 2622 transformers and I've A/B'd them directly to API's current 312 mic pre and the reissues just didn't have the same amount of saturation going on and sounded more vanilla to me).

So, yeah, go Chandler. Or API.
Old 14th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post

God, I have to ask myself that question every time I go to record!

Those are 4 vintage 312 cards racked above the 10 Chandler TG strips (with a RND channel strip above that). I obviously love the Chandler but the APIs are a little brighter and more forward and often sound like the Chandlers do after I add a hair of eq to get more presence in the guitars. Neither will let you down on bass but I love the DI on the TG2 vs the DI on the API 3124s that I've used. I tend to like the Chandler more on vocals and acoustic instruments.

If you'd use the other components of the API channel strip on mix down then I would go with that (actually, I'd go with the RND channel strip but you didn't ask about that). If you'd rather have two mic pres then I'd go with the TG2 (you're going to want a Tone Control down the road, too, I'm sorry to say).

As you can tell by my ratios, if I had to pick one based on mic pre alone I'd go with the Chandler TG2 (especially since the API comparisons that I'm making are from vintage APIs pre amps from the 70s with the old op amp and 2622 transformers and I've A/B'd them directly to API's current 312 mic pre and the reissues just didn't have the same amount of saturation going on and sounded more vanilla to me).

So, yeah, go Chandler. Or API.
After A/Bing the TG-2 and the 3124s side by side, I got rid of my 3124s.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
After A/Bing the TG-2 and the 3124s side by side, I got rid of my 3124s.
Yep, I can say definitely from my experience with my vintage APIs and my buddies (and the ones in two other studios that I work at) 3124 that I would definitely go Chandler over any of APIs current offerings.

Those above may have points about the CAPI stuff - I would love to hear those vs my originals to see if they are closer but my old API mic pres make the new ones (even in the 1608 console which I've installed in yet a 3rd studio) sound like plug-in emulations of mine. Very good emulations but still only 90% there and it's that extra 10% that keeps me from letting go of mine even though I have the Chandlers.

Of the Chandler mic pres, I've owned the TG2, TG Channel MkII, their Germ Pre and, of course, the current 10 TG Channel MkIs and the TG2 is my variation.

Two great mic pres with impedance options and a DI on each sitting right next to each other in a single rack space. Perfect for two mics on a guitar and you'll love the DIs for keys and bass. And, of course, it will leave you with an open spot on your power supply that will taunt you until you buy a Tone Control.

So buy the Chandler TG2 and don't look back. Do it now.
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Head

Excellent! all great advice...

What compressor would u suggest to go with the TG2? I only have a Retro 176 hardware comp at the moment.....

Cheers

Huw
Old 15th December 2013
Quote:
Excellent! all great advice...

What compressor would u suggest to go with the TG2? I only have a Retro 176 hardware comp at the moment.....

Cheers

Huw
The absolute best compressor around is the Chandler LTD 1. It's so under rated, it didn't even make the thread someone started about under rated compressors. It's the only piece of gear that's in every room at Sterling - though it's been a while since I've been through every room, so it's possible that's changed.

I also really like the Digi compressor. You can do anything with that.
I've got 6 germanium compressors, 2 TG-1s a Zener, Pendulum 6386, Distoressors, FATSO, Drawmer 1968. They all do cool things. It really depends on what it is that you want to do with the compressor.
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Head

Thanks a lot Mike!

TG1 limiter looks amazing

Just will use for tracking analogue synths, Bass guitars, elec guitars

I guess a distressor and a TG2 would be a great bet......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search