The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is this AKG 414 comb worth?
Old 12th December 2013
What is this AKG 414 comb worth?

Hello everyone.
I'm borrowing this microphone from a friend to test it out and I'm just wondering what it's worth.
It is a 414 comb with the mount (not pictured)
In the late 80's, early 90's, the ck12 capsule went bad and they sent it to Akg to be fixed. They just replaced it.
I'm wondering what the value is on it. It's in great shape.
Is there anyway to get one of those capsules put in?(wishful thinking, I'm sure.)
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What is this AKG 414 comb worth?-image_3238.jpg   What is this AKG 414 comb worth?-image_8906.jpg   What is this AKG 414 comb worth?-image_4864.jpg   What is this AKG 414 comb worth?-image_2885.jpg  
Old 12th December 2013
Also, if anyone has a ck12... Which I'm sure is a long shot.. Send me a message.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

The capsule is unfortunatelly the big part of the price. EBs with this newer capsule go for $500-700. The older capsule in the same mic makes it $1800-2500 affair.

I'm not sure how different COMB sounds in comparison to EB, perhaps it's preferable. Though many prefer the convenience of the XLR connector of the EB.

Just go through classifieds here and watch several e-bay auctions to get the idea what are people willing to pay for it.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

I sold a nice pair for $1,600, last year.
Old 12th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
I sold a nice pair for $1,600, last year.
New capsule and all?? Thanks Seamus!!!
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, nylon caps.
They were in nice shape.
$700-$800 is realistic, probably.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Tim Campbell in Denmark makes excellent recreations of the CK12 capsule. I'm not sure whether a mic fitted with his capsules is as valuable as an original CK12 but I would happily use them interchangeably.
Old 12th December 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
Is there anyway to get one of those capsules put in?(wishful thinking, I'm sure.)
Thanks
As others have mentioned, having the real capsule is the real deal and is what makes the EB worth what it is. But if you want a reasonable approximation of the CK12 capsule let's say for another mic, at a reasonable price, then very good capsule clones are available from microphone parts.com. No, it's not a real CK12, but you get what you pay for and at some price point the laws of diminishing returns are in effect when it comes to capsules IMHO.

RK-12: a CK12 Microphone Capsule | Microphone Parts
Old 13th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
Tim Campbell in Denmark makes excellent recreations of the CK12 capsule. I'm not sure whether a mic fitted with his capsules is as valuable as an original CK12 but I would happily use them interchangeably.
There's never been a bad word spoken about Tim Campbells' CT12 capsule!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search