The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Orion 32/Isochrone 10M Combo Users?
Old 10th December 2013
Orion 32/Isochrone 10M Combo Users?

Anyone using an Orion 32/Isochrone 10M combo for mixing? I just picked up an Isochrone 10M and the studio I'm mixing at uses an Orion 32 natively with ProTools 11. Haven't tried them in together yet, but it seems like it could be an amazing mixing setup!
Old 11th December 2013
Yes, the 10M really is pretty amazing, though the Orion sounds great on it's own. The 10M is the most audible clock I've heard to date, it via the O32 makes a genuine audible improvement both to the O32 and other associated digital gear. It's the only clock I've used that all my clients can hear me turn on and off!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, the 10M really is pretty amazing, though the Orion sounds great on it's own. The 10M is the most audible clock I've heard to date, it via the O32 makes a genuine audible improvement both to the O32 and other associated digital gear. It's the only clock I've used that all my clients can hear me turn on and off!

Best-
Jonathan
I need to hear that.
Old 11th December 2013
I'm using this combo, sounds great.
Old 11th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
I'm using this combo, sounds great.
How would you describe the change with the Isochrone 10M as opposed to without?
Old 13th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Everything that audiokid said and more for the roundtrip, the width and LF change is notable. The LF just gets richer and deeper.

Tony come check it out anytime or I'll bring the combo to Webster and I'll have it at NAMM, some NARAS [NOLA Jan] events, AES reginonals in Ft Wayne and Webster, etc.. I use it as my reference a>d/d>a for my demo rig and in the studio of course.

It always blows engineers away when you toggle the 10M on and off...
Just did this in Indy 2 nights ago on Justin Timberlakes awesome Solotech/ L-Dosc PA in sound check, went from the Digico internal clock to a Big Ben to all being clocked by a 10m/O32. Andy Meyer [JT's amazing FOH] and I both just looked at each other and went "wow". I never thought I would say this about a clock- it's not the most sexy gear purchase if you know what I mean-lol.

The Digico to BB was noticeable, but then the 10M/O32 just went to a completely different level. I'd always found the BB made a nice, sometimes subtle difference in spatial positioning and depth [big diff on a rig with bad clocking], but the 10M/032 made a really audible jump. Andy's using a ton of very high end analogue gear [RND MBP, PII Channel, 5024, Mindprints, Bricasti's, Studio Mic's -DPA, sE VR-2's, Milabs, etc. and O32's for PT PB!] as well, pretty amazing sound rig. SR/Live sound has come so far these days it's unreal. It's like a giant Hi Fi - so wide and deep, and some of the best LF I've ever heard... Andy is at the top of the game IMO.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 13th December 2013
Impressive. RADAR 6 is about $7,000 and the Orion 32/Isochrone 10M combo is $8,000 for 8 more channels. I wonder how they compare!
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the 10M and the Orion in my room now (My Radar 24 is up for sale in the classifieds for anyone interested). The Isochrone clock makes a huge difference. It's quite obvious. You'll get way more depth, reverb and delay tails become more apparent, the image is wider, and it's suddenly easier and more enjoyable to mix.

Now that I've answered your question, I have a rhetorical one for you: Why are you asking others to give you an opinion on a unit that's in your possession? Go plug it in!

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some say more than others so I'm guessing is subjective to individual processing, DAW, etc.
Or poor monitoring…

It's not a subtle difference.

Mixerman
Old 14th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
Or poor monitoring…
that's what etc; includes.

cheers!
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

I have a question...

WHEN WILL WE HEAR BEFORE AND AFTER SAMPLES OF THIS 10M!?!?

I only hear all this hype about it but not one single sound of it change the sound.
But I know the difference is big it is all know not subtle. Which make it more interesting.
Old 14th December 2013
But if your monitoring is poor, you won't be able to hear it.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
But if your monitoring is poor, you won't be able to hear it. hehe.
The 10m strong point is that it gives superior imaging, my HG3 monitors is said to have very good imaging so I hope it is noticeable in these speakers.

I have also heard others says it is very easy to spot the difference in a matter of a few seconds.

I think we all desereve a A/B test now to hear the difference... it should not be hard to do if some one own these units..
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or poor monitoring…

Mixerman

I was so skeptical about the 10M - then I heard it.
I bought one after a demo - I had to have it.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Why can't you do a simple sample of it ?
Master it with the 10m add no extra..would be simple to do to show the difference...
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Are you the guy with the BLA modded Avid IO's?

If so does the 10M still make a big difference?

I have the 10M and love it, but don't have the BLA mods...
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post

Have you received your eclipse yet ?
Remember you promised us to do a test between 10m and without.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes, I'd like to hear a before after with the BLA mod. It's hard to believe that BLA doesn't have a floating rental/demo unit of the FM 192 or the Avid HD I/O. I seriously can't entertain dropping $2.5 on a mod that no body can demonstrate. Is that too much to ask?
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the 10M and the Orion in my room now (My Radar 24 is up for sale in the classifieds for anyone interested). The Isochrone clock makes a huge difference. It's quite obvious. You'll get way more depth, reverb and delay tails become more apparent, the image is wider, and it's suddenly easier and more enjoyable to mix.

Now that I've answered your question, I have a rhetorical one for you: Why are you asking others to give you an opinion on a unit that's in your possession? Go plug it in!

Enjoy,

Mixerman
did you A/B the Orion and the RADAR?

if so, how would you describe the difference in sound between the Orion and the RADAR?
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Have you received your eclipse yet ?
Remember you promised us to do a test between 10m and without.
Yea...I just haven't had time. It might not happen until after Xmas as I'm slammed right now.
Old 15th December 2013
Quote:

Mixerman
Whomever steps up to the plate here, I would love to also know what (gear) they are round tripping in that mix. A detailed explanation to their process, to which the 10M made/makes so much difference would be very enlightening!

Cheers!
Old 15th December 2013
Quote:
Whomever steps up to the plate here, I would love to also know what (gear) they are round tripping in that mix. A detailed explanation to their process, to which the 10M made/makes so much difference would be very enlightening!
On the front end I'm recording with a Hilo (internally clocked) at 32/96. On my back end, I'm (going to be) mixing with an O32 synced to a 10M. That's a pretty nice "trip," but I do wonder what it would sound like had I tracked with the O32 synced to a 10M.
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Impressive. RADAR 6 is about $7,000 and the Orion 32/Isochrone 10M combo is $8,000 for 8 more channels. I wonder how they compare!
Don't forget, you get an excellent hard-disk recorder with the RADAR 6. The RADAR's workflow is wonderful too. I felt more like a recording engineer and less like an accountant when I had my RADARs. And I'm sure the conversion is comparable/first-rate--iZ nailed that from the get-go.

Quote:
You'll get way more depth, reverb and delay tails become more apparent, the image is wider, and it's suddenly easier and more enjoyable to mix.
I don't know if I can take that last bit too seriously. Sounds as if you're describing Aladdin's Lamp! It is after all, an inanimate object.

Quote:

Cheers!

Yup. +1
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the front end I'm recording with a Hilo (internally clocked) at 32/96. On my back end, I'm (going to be) mixing with an O32 synced to a 10M. That's a pretty nice "trip," but I do wonder what it would sound like had I tracked with the O32 synced to a 10M.
I think it actually makes more of a difference on the front end - it helps you get a better first conversion which in my opinion is the most important one. If you're first AD pass is mediocre, you'll never get that "stuff" back after you've lost it. (Depth, detail, openness, etc).

Ovbiously the 10m helps get that back on the DA side as best as you can hope for, but honestly if you use it for both AD and DA, the difference becomes staggering...
Old 15th December 2013
Quote:
I think it actually makes more of a difference on the front end - it helps you get a better first conversion which in my opinion is the most important one. If you're first AD pass is mediocre, you'll never get that "stuff" back after you've lost it. (Depth, detail, openness, etc).

Ovbiously the 10m helps get that back on the DA side as best as you can hope for, but honestly if you use it for both AD and DA, the difference becomes staggering...
Are you using outboard gear while mixing? I'm guessing yes otherwise why would you be DA. How is it inserted and captured? Are you using a summing box?
Old 15th December 2013
mixerman, Same question. And I know you are using hardware. Are you mixing back to the same session? Or, inserting hardware into the DAW like its a console? Then summing how?
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Best-
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

Are you and the folks at RND using the O32 & 10M as a primary clock and converter setup for the designers at RND? Or is they a part of a personal rig / associated studio?

Thanks!

- Cary Miller.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Hi Mixerman.

I'm a fan of your book, but...I was wondering, did you migrate to a DAW, and that's the main reason you decided to swap to the Orion 32, or did you feel it was honestly better than your RADAR when you incorporated the 10M into the equation? I'm assuming you're still using a console of some kind with 32 I/O or at the very least analog summing.

- Cary Miller.
Old 16th December 2013
Quote:
But what are you doing between the Hilo and the O32? I mean, are you inserting hardware on a track or summing OTB and capturing back to the same session?
Thanks!
I'm mixing OTB with an API Legacy console and tons of outboard. So, my mixing looks like:

PT 11 at 32/96 > O32 clocked to 10M > API Legacy > Outboard > API Legacy > 032 clocked to 10M > PT 11 at 32/96

Also considering mixing to DSD, though...

And as far as the Hilo goes for my front-end, I'm pretty damn happy with the sound!
Old 17th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Hi Jonathan,

Are you and the folks at RND using the O32 & 10M as a primary clock and converter setup for the designers at RND? Or is they a part of a personal rig / associated studio?

Thanks!

- Cary Miller.
Hey Cary-
Rupert uses analogue signals for his design work! His views on digital are well known, although he has some very cool tricks up his sleeve in that arena, that will appear possibly in 2014. Don't ask us yet please/sorry to tease- we are really big these days on waiting to show something until it's right and ready to go.

The o32/10M is my personal studio and my RND demo rig. I take it and PT with me to shows like Potluck, NAMM, AES, regional AES, dealers, etc. so that we have a very high quality multi-track source. I originally loved the compactness of 32 i/o in 1RU but once I heard the 10M, and resigned myself to 3 RU- sigh. I don't believe you can properly demo a summing rig with 2 or 4 channels. Plus I'm a old school gearslut...

For audiokid:

Studio Rig is Tube/Ribbon/SS mic's> 38+ channels of outboard mic pre + 40 channels of Ruperts Amek designs, 60+ channels of compression >PT 32 [88.2k]out via o32/10M > 80 input heavily modified Galileo with racks and racks of outboard> mixed to PT via o32/10M or Apogee/ML9600 [if asynchronous sample rates are at play, [TV, Movies, etc.] this will change to other A>D in 2014]. Hoping to add another o32 as well, 32 channels of i/o is enough for most of what I do...

As a side note:

Was mixing a record last night with my friend Matt Talbott [The man behind the band Hum and a professor at Milikin University] of Earth Analogue fame [formerly Great Western] at my place with the o32/10M rig [he has an o32 as well that it was tracked on, although he is generally a committed analogue guy] and we did the 10M on and off thing and he went "huh- I can really hear that make it wider, deeper and richer" and he was taking a break and sitting on the couch at the back at the time...!

Best-
Jonathan
📝 Reply